Rich_Calvo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 16, 2017

SoundTouch - play different music in 2 or 3 systems

Hello everyone,

I have several Sountouch systems at home in different rooms. When I am playing music in one room and go to another to try to play other music, the other system stops playing. Can I play different music in all of them?

Thanks,

Ricardo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Re: SoundTouch - play different music in 2 or 3 systems

Author Accepted Answer selected by Rich_Calvo

What music source?  Spotify will only let you have one active stream per account - thus, if you are playing a song on spotify through one SoundTouch speaker (or phone, tablet, PC), as soon as you try to play Spotify on another SoundTouch speaker (or phone, tablet, PC) the first will immediately stop.  Sirius XM also does this.  I don't know about the other premium services that SoundTouch supports but I would not be surprised if Amazon, Deezer, etc. do the same thing.  

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hi there @Rich_Calvo and welcome into the Bose Community!

I'm glad to hear of your interest in our SoundTouch systems and would be happy to help here.

Through the SoundTouch app, I can confirm that you can play the same music on all speakers, or play different music on each speaker!

When you are on the SoundTouch app, tap on the speaker tray at the bottom of the screen, and this will show you the current speaker you're on. Swiping left or right here will swap between each speaker separately. When on a specific speaker, press the arrow in the top left and select a station, song, album etc. to play, and this will play through that speaker.

Going back to the speaker tray, and swiping to another speaker, you should be able to select a different music item and this will play from that speaker, leaving the original speaker to continue to play.

For grouping speakers, start by playing through one speaker as above, and then either press the "+" icon next to the speaker(s) that you would like to add, or select "Play-All" to group all the speakers together. Tapping "Turn off Play-All" will disband this group. There is a video HERE for how to manage this!

If you are using Bluetooth instead of Wi-Fi, then you will not be able to play the speakers separately, but would still be able to group the speakers together. When grouped for Wi-Fi, simply press the Bluetooth source icon in the speaker tray to swap to Bluetooth source, pair to this, and play to the group.

If you are using the intended Wi-Fi method above and the speakers are still turning off when you select something, this may be an issue with the connection of the speakers, in which case please reset your Wi-Fi router and test this again.

Please return to me when you can to let me know how this goes, and if you have any questions/queries at all!

Liam W - Community Support

Rich_Calvo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 16, 2017

Thank you very much for your response, really appreciate it.

I should probably clarify that the problem I am having is when I go to a room, hit one of the memory numbers in that speaker to hear music and then if I go to another room and hit a memory number in that speaker, the previous speaker stops playing music. It is like if I am only able to play music in one speaker when I do it manually unless I do it through the phone app. Hope this time is more clear. 

Hi again @Rich_Calvo and thanks for getting back to me!

That sounds very unusual there. If this is working as intended through the phone app but not through the on-board controls, then this may be setup differently. 

Can I ask which SoundTouch speakers you're using here? 

If these are the SoundTouch 10 speakers, are these setup as a stereo-pair? If so, can you remove these as a pair and test these again?

Moreover, can I ask if there is more than 1 Wi-Fi access point/network here, and if there is more than 1 SoundTouch account being used with these speakers?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Liam W

Chupanibre
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Aug 16, 2016

Hi,

how are the preset buttons configured? If they are just different artist/albums/playlists from the same streaming service and the same account, it can‘t work afaik. At least this is a Spotify limit. But I guess it is the same with other streaming services. 

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by Rich_Calvo

What music source?  Spotify will only let you have one active stream per account - thus, if you are playing a song on spotify through one SoundTouch speaker (or phone, tablet, PC), as soon as you try to play Spotify on another SoundTouch speaker (or phone, tablet, PC) the first will immediately stop.  Sirius XM also does this.  I don't know about the other premium services that SoundTouch supports but I would not be surprised if Amazon, Deezer, etc. do the same thing.  

Rich_Calvo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Aug 16, 2017

Yes, exactly the prblem I am having. Using Spotify for the pre-sets. Thanks for letting me know, I will play with the options a bit more.