Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

Soundbar 500 Sirius XM Alexa command to stop does not work

I can play Sirius XM on my Soundbar 500, but when I tell Alexa to stop the volume decreases for a moment and then goes back to the previous volume. No Alexa command stops Sirius XM from playing. Other music services work fine. The only way to stop Sirius XM from playing is to use the remote to turn off the Soundbar.

10 REPLIES 10
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 16, 2020

Bose Home Speaker 500 and SiriusXM through Alexa

I have been experiencing some very strange behavior with SiriusXM on my Home Speaker 500 when starting to play through Alexa.

• If I ask Alexa to play a station on SiriusXM, she announces that she is playing it, and music starts playing from SiriusXM.  A logo for the channel appears on the screen, and the text at the bottom alternates displaying the channel name with "ALEXA".  So far so good.
  • If I ask Alexa what is currently playing, she responds with whatever song was last playing through some other service (Pandora or Amazon Music), or sometimes says nothing is playing.
  • If I ask Alexa to stop, or press the play/pause button on the Home Speaker 500, nothing happens: music keeps playing.
  • If I ask Alexa to play Pandora or something else besides a SiriusXM channel, everything works normally from then on.

It seems as though once Alexa starts playing SiriusXM, nobody (neither Alexa nor the device) really knows it's playing, even though music is streaming.  This occurs whether or not I have authorized SiriusXM in my Bose Music app.

In contrast, many other things seem to work:

• If I play SiriusXM on my first gen Echo, it behaves as expected.
  • If I play Pandora through Alexa on my Bose Home Speaker 500, it behaves as expected.
  • If I play SiriusXM through the Bose Music app or preset buttons on the device, it behaves as expected.

(As expected means Alexa can tell me what song is currently playing, and can stop playing).

I'd be tempted to blame this on integration between Amazon and SiriusXM if it didn't seem to work properly on an Echo.  Playing through the Bose Home Speaker 500 seems to add a problem.

Starting SiriusXM through Alexa is our most common use case.  We can get audio to play, but not stop.  So far, my only workaround is to ask Alexa to play Pandora, and then ask her to stop.

Highlighted

Re: Soundbar 500 Sirius XM Alexa command to stop does not work

Hi Threeboyzmom,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community.

It's unusual that only SiriusXM is not being controlled when you use the Alexa commands and your other music services are working fine.

When you are playing SiriusXM stations, do you start them playing from the Bose Music app or by using an Alexa command? Do you notice any difference in the behavior with either method? 

When you are using the remote, does the play/pause button stop Sirius playing, or does it have to be turning the soundbar off? Could you stop Sirius playing by changing the source using the remote, by selecting TV or Bluetooth?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

Re: Soundbar 500 Sirius XM Alexa command to stop does not work

When I start Sirius XM from the Bose Music App the remote is able to pause and play and the voice command to Alexa to stop works.

When I start Sirius XM from the Alexa voice command, it starts and play fine. However the remote does not control the music and then when I tell Alexa to stop, the sound level mutes some and then goes right back to the previous volume. The only way to stop the music is to power off by the remote.

Highlighted

Re: Bose Home Speaker 500 and SiriusXM through Alexa

Hi All,

Thank you for posting and contributing to the conversation.

Getting this extra information is very helpful for us. We do have a process that you can use to resolve this. It will completely clear out the previous communication with Alexa and the speakers, allowing you to set it back up as a fresh installation.

To do this follow these steps:​​​​​​

• Remove Alexa from your speaker in the Bose Music app.
    • Settings >> Voice Assistant >> Alexa >> Remove
  • Remove your speaker from the Bose Music app
    • Account Settings >> Manage Products >> Edit >> Select all speakers >> Delete
  • Log out of the Bose Music app
    • Account Settings >> Sign Out
  • Factory default your speaker.
    • HS500 = Press and hold AUX and Volume – simultaneously for 10 seconds on the system.
    • SB500/700 = Press and hold Power and Skip Forward simultaneously for 5 seconds on the remote.
  • De-register your speaker from www.amazon.com
    • Login to Amazon using the same account linked to the Bose Music account
    • Accounts & Lists >> Your Content and Devices >> Devices >> De-register
  • Forget the speaker listed in the Alexa app
    • Login to www.alexa.amazon.com via web browser or using the Alexa app using the same Amazon account
    • Smart Home >> Devices >> Forget
  • Disable the Alexa Bose skill Bose (not for SoundTouch). As well as the SiriusXM skill.
    • Login to www.alexa.amazon.com via a web browser or using the Alexa app, using the same Amazon account
    • Skills >> Your Skills >> All Skills >> Select the Skill >> Disable Skill.
  • Uninstall the Bose Music app from your phone or tablet.
  • Reboot your router.
  • Once the router has rebooted, reinstall the Bose Music app.
  • Log back into your account.
  • Set your speaker back up, including the voice assistant.
  • Re-enable the SiriusXM skill in the Alexa app.

I know this is quite a long process, but it will get Alexa back up and running correctly for you. If you would like any assistance doing this, please do reach out to your local support team and they will be happy to help walk you through this. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

I performed the steps and completely reset the system.

The performance is still the same.

Highlighted

Thanks for coming back to us, @Threeboyzmom

I'm sorry that the suggested steps have not worked for you. 

Have you tried removing the Sirius XM Music Service? You can do this in the settings menu of the application. 

Let me know!

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

Yes I have removed and re-added the Sirius XM in the Music Service and the issue is the same.

I am suspecting that this is the result of a firmware update that was pushed to the soundbar earlier this year. This had been working fine for many months after I initially purchased the soundbar. I can not pinpoint the exact date that this issue began, but can you provide me the date that the last firmware update was pushed out to the soundbar.

Highlighted

Thank you for letting us know that Threeboyzmom.

The latest firmware for the HomeSpeaker 500, 7.0.9, was released on the 16th Jan 2020. It is possible that it could be related if the issue did start around that time. 

Given the troubleshooting you have tried already, the next step to get this resolved, would be to contact your local support team so they can look into this further with you. You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Let me know how you get on.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 15, 2020

The timing of the update does seem to correlate with the start of this issue.

When I have some time I will try the local support.