Re: Soundbar 500 on Soundtouch App

Hi Sally, 

Thanks for posting and reaching back out. 

In theory this would be possible however it wouldn't be convenient for you. You would need to unplug the adapter from the Soundbar every time that you wanted to switch back to using the Soundbar with the TV. 

In order for this set up to work you would need to AUX into either the adapter or the SoundTouch 20, then use the SoundTouch app to group the speaker and the adapter and play all back via AUX input. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Sally wrote:

Hector many thanks for your speedy response.  What I am not getting from any of this is the best way to set up a speaker with my soundbar 500 and get good quality sound.  

Everything is advertised as you connect and play over wifi and control using the Bose app, it isi easy.  Well it doesn't seem easy and it doesn't seem to be a speaker I can use in another room that I can use with the sound bar, so the purchase of the very expensive sound bar for music and tv is isolated to one room....   That is unless you can reccomend a set up.

This is another example of the problems associated with launching a new line that lacks backwards compatibility. There are other examples of people buying a new series speaker bar thinking it will work with SoundTouch. In those cases there are examples of people already invested in SoundTouch buying a new line speaker thinking they will work together. Oddly the new line was launched with only a few options such as a single 500 speaker. SoundTouch has three single speakers and gives some choice for other room application.

If you are wanting to add speakers to your living room setup I think you have a couple options:

Purchase a 500 speaker for your second room and enjoy.

Return your new speaker bar and go with a SoundTouch 300 and add speakers accordingly. That will at least give you access to three sizes of book shelf speakers. 

Because you have no prior investment with SoundTouch gear the first option seems to be the best moving forward. The 500 speaker is a nice piece of kit and sounds pretty good.

Sally
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 24, 2018

Wistful Whiz  many thanks for your comments.  Ideally I want to have one set up that includes the sound bar 500 in my living room, a speaker that is compaitable with the soundbar in my kitchen dining room, hence the reason for purchasing the Soundtouch 20 it is a full sound and will fill my open plan kitchen dinning room and I can Aux off the 20 to my turntable when needed.  

My only issue is that I have spent a lot of money on two items that now cannot be used on the same network. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Sally wrote:

Wistful Whiz  many thanks for your comments.  Ideally I want to have one set up that includes the sound bar 500 in my living room, a speaker that is compaitable with the soundbar in my kitchen dining room, hence the reason for purchasing the Soundtouch 20 it is a full sound and will fill my open plan kitchen dinning room and I can Aux off the 20 to my turntable when needed.  

My only issue is that I have spent a lot of money on two items that now cannot be used on the same network. 

I understand your predicment. You actually have three standards on the go, phono  (anlogue) Sound Touch and the new Bose Smart Speaker Line. I dont beleive there is a workaround other than picking a product line and moving forward. Being as you have a SoundTouch 20 and a record player your best option really is the SoundTouch 300. That is a fine speaker and will serve you well in the living room. In some ways I beleive it has better sound features than the 500 sound bar model, in particular Phase Gude sound projection.

Connecting your phono to the SoundTouch 20 will allow you, through the "Wired Aux Play All" feature, to broadcast to all your speakers. It works quite well. This won't be possible with the 500 speaker bar. 

lcdopizarro
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 24, 2018

Bose needs to find a solution to integrate all products.  It would be reasonable to provide an attachment to achive this.  

Bo$e
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 18, 2019

Hello, 

I almost find it impossible to believe that you came out with a speaker that is not backwards compatible with a system you have had in place for years. I recently purchased (and likely will be returning) a Bose Soundbar 500, I currently own a Soundtouch 20, 30, 10 (x2) and, a wireless link adapter (not to mention the 3 pairs of noise cancelling headphones my family owns). I have... or had the ability to stream music to all rooms of my house and the soundbar was going to round out the basement. Quite frankly it is unacceptable and Bose should be embarrassed. Did they think that people would just get rid of all of their old devices and switch? What I won't be doing is buying any more Bose products. Should have gone the Sonos route had I known this was going to be the case. Or update the Soundtouch family to work with he Bose Music app...  there are numerous ways to fix this problem and make your customers happy. Yet, your approach is to suggest buying an older product because the direction your company is going is to alienate long time listeners. I will not be buying another Bose product again and will be slowly replacing my system... with Sonos. 

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Agree, Bose missed the mark on backwards compatibility. I noticed the ST300(SoundTouch) is on sale. This is actually a better sound bar and uses phase guide technology for virtual surround. The ST300 also supports SoundTouch.