Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

Soundbar 700 setup -Music app update loop

I have just installed my refurbished Soundbar 700. Connected to the lan the system is running and I can controll sound and use bluetooth. I have it running with Sky Q.

Problem 1. The music app insists on doing an update. This update has been on the iphone for all of 5 hours spinning. There is no lights indicating any activity on the soundbar except volume adjustment. I have reloaded the app and reset the soundbar by unplugging and restarting. Still the same. The app seems to be in a loop. My Internet speeds are well up around 70mbps, so the internet is not the cause.

Problem 2. The sound is 'fluffy' and bassy. I cannot change this due to Problem 1.

First impressions are not good.

I will try a factory reset if there are no better suggestions or solutions tomorrow.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

Re: Soundbar 700 setup -Music app update loop

Author Accepted Answer selected by asc1939

Thank you for the details on the app settings. This has helped a lot. I spent this afternoon starting over and redone the room sound adaptic run. This now worked. I did not wear the headgear but held in in various locations as I thought maybe the mic was too sensitive and picked up head and body’russle’

i watched an online video and with your guidance found the ‘hidden’ settings I have now an almost acceptable configuration but the lack of being able to quickly setup user profiles and use different profiles is a big hole in the implementation and major disappointment . Even better if they could be switched at the remote button level would have been fantastic even just to news and music. But if we decide to hold on this will be an influence of if there is any user input to app updates and the like. 
But thank you I will now spend more time listening thank you

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Hey @asc1939

Thanks for posting! 

I am very sorry to hear that you're unable to use the Bose Music app with your Soundbar 700. This is very unusual. 

You've been through some great steps by reloading the app and resetting the soundbar. When you say you have reloaded the app, does this mean uninstalling and reinstalling? If not, could you please do this!

Let me know if the issue persists.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

Hello, thank you for a fast reply. Yes I removed/deleted the app and reinstalled on my iPhone.

you say this is unusual yet I see in the forum many many discussions, not only on the app install loop but more on Adaptiq not working and reporting the room is noisy. On the setup this problem went away when I proceeded to try a service update instead. The action of pressing the remote buttons to select service mode appeared to release the app from the loop inadvertently. The then stated the update was complete. The online service failed with a website timeout. The timeout occurs even after turning of all ad blockers and checking firewalls.

However, I have moved on and have many other hiccups and disappointments.

the main guidance I need here is a link to return the unit. The sound is acceptable but usability is really not thought through fully.

i have set sky remotes and the Bose remote to control tv sky q and all work up to a point.

when turning the systems off neither control turns all units off ( tv +qbox+sound bar) touching volume control still lights up. Holding the off button for several second on the Bose remote seems to shut down. How does a user actually know the unit is off. When systems are restarted there last combination is not remembered. The user gets tv+qbox+sound bar on but no sound. Trying to increase sound does nothing other than the volume up lights illuminate. To get sound back the user has to press the Satelite icon to restore prior configuration not remembered. At this pint the sound is restored at dangerous high hearing damage levels. Panic panic to reduce back to a comfortable level.

further I have not found any way to set user listening profiles. Ie voice highlight, movie mode, musics etc I did read that the base can be adjusted but have not found the icon described at being bottom right of screen in app . Not on mine.

the Bose remote does not highlight the full set of buttons unless Satelite is selected each time and the lights extinguish too fast to make several touches which is very frustrating.

the sound obviously is better than the tv speakers but all these ( and only after a few hours use) does not meet expectations if being there best soundbar in the world’ maybe physically but use ability, software design, and lack of AI relating to actual sound controls is no where approaching the best unless the rest are terrible.

sorry but as I said elsewhere I am 82 years old ( I have been in tech computing since 1964, wrote my own iPhone apps) and I don’t want to spend my years solving Bose system problems. I have music to listen too.

please send a link to the return request page, the webpage crashed with html errors on both Firefox a safari.

thank you 

Highlighted

Hi asc1939,

I'm sorry to hear your new soundbar is not living up to your expectations, even after resolving the update issue! While I appreciate you do plan on returning the soundbar, I'm going to try and help with some of the issues you have mentioned in case you do ever decide to give it another try.

With the universal remote, it is possible to program it to turn off your TV and SkyQ box at the same time using the Power Sync feature. If you use the Bose Music app and navigate to the speaker's Settings > Power Sync and then select the devices you want to sync you can get this up and running. As you mentioned having a little trouble finding the icons, you can find a guide for this with screenshots HERE. How you will currently be turning all the systems on and off together is likely through HDMI CEC commands, and as the Sky remote and Bose remote are having trouble doing this, it's likely due to how your TV is processing these commands. The method outlined there uses the IR signals from the soundbar instead so will bypass this.

Once you have this set, by bringing everything online together, you will also stop having the issue where the sound does not come on automatically as it will be ready to receive the signal when it has turned on. You are correct that there isn't really any way to tell just from looking at the bar whether it is on or not. This partly due to the fact that it is always on in standby, so that if you have a voice assistant setup it will be ready to respond.

There isn't any way to set "listening profiles" in the sense of a few set presets that you can switch between with saved settings, you can however definitely adjust the EQ of the system to your taste from the Audio page. There is also the option for Dialogue Mode in the same place which will boost the dialogue of the source you are watching making it more prominent. I'll again include the link to a visual guide for this, so you can see exactly where these options are supposed to be found in the app HERE.

I do completely understand if none of this does change your mind, and if you do still want to return your soundbar you can do this through your local support team, if you bought it directly from us, or by reaching out to the store you purchased it from if not. You can find the contact information for your local team HERE by choosing your country/region and then scrolling down to the "Contact Us" option at the bottom of the page.

I hope this helps!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by asc1939

Thank you for the details on the app settings. This has helped a lot. I spent this afternoon starting over and redone the room sound adaptic run. This now worked. I did not wear the headgear but held in in various locations as I thought maybe the mic was too sensitive and picked up head and body’russle’

i watched an online video and with your guidance found the ‘hidden’ settings I have now an almost acceptable configuration but the lack of being able to quickly setup user profiles and use different profiles is a big hole in the implementation and major disappointment . Even better if they could be switched at the remote button level would have been fantastic even just to news and music. But if we decide to hold on this will be an influence of if there is any user input to app updates and the like. 
But thank you I will now spend more time listening thank you

View solution in original post

Highlighted

That's no problem at all, I'm glad I could help! It's also great to hear you have managed to get it to a configuration that works for you.

Having different profiles to switch between for sound, is definitely something I can pass along to our development team as a feature request for you. I can't say for certain how likely it would be to be added but I will be sure to let them know this is something you would be interested in! I think having it be controlled by the remote might be less likely, but it's certainly an idea I'm sure other users would find useful too.

Let me know if you have any other ideas for features and I'll be sure to pass them along as well!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 9, 2020

That is very helpful. I can certainly put a list together over time and put them forward. Some companies have a user request forum, only proble with that it can get quite full and difficult to 'hone down' what are the key user requirements. One idea some comoanies have used is a list of organised requirements/suggestions and be able to click on those (say up to 3) that user would like to see implemented. Just passing on experiences of other product develepments ( Ex IBM Product test/Dev manager).