Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Soundlink Air always loses connection

Hi, 

ever since I got my soundlink air years ago, I have this problem: everytime I set it up with my home wlan, it works just fine with my mac and iphone.
Once I disconnect it and later want to connect again, it won‘t work. It shows in my airplay list but I can‘t get it to stream music.
I have to set it up new with my wlan. Which makes it impossible to use it on regular basis.
Is there any way to avoid this? 

thanks in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Soundlink Air always loses connection

Hi Lilalena,

Thank you for posting, this certainly be happening with your SoundLink Air and I would be more than happy to help you get it up and running correctly.

To help me get an idea of what exactly is happening with your speaker I do have a few questions for you.

When you are unable to stream to the speaker from your Airplay list, what do the LEDs on the speaker show? Once we know this, we will know whether the speaker is disconnecting from the network, or the Mac and iPhone are having trouble communicating with it.

Do you know if your network uses a dual-band router and if so, are the bands separated? Many modern routers have 2 bands that they broadcast your network on, one 2.4GHz and one 5GHz. If these bands are using the same name, it is possible for the speaker and source device to be on different bands and this can cause trouble with the communication between the two. If you can, you would want to have your iPhone and Mac on the same band as your speaker. This is easier to control when the bands have separate names on the router, as then they are treated like separate networks.

I would recommend starting troubleshooting using THIS GUIDE for some simple first steps to check.

Let me know how you get on.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Mar 1, 2020

Hello thank you for your reply and time.

The LEDS show a solid light blue. 

The guide didn't help unfortunately.

I do have a dual-band router but I do't know how to change the band. It's on "automatic" mode at the moment.

Highlighted

It could be related to this, lilalena. 

The SoundLink Air is compatible with: 802.11 b/g (2.4ghz bands.) What could be happening is the bands on your router (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) are synchronized. When they jump between bands, the speaker cannot continue the connection as it doesn't support 5ghz bands and thus loses connection. 

I would recommend checking the user manual for your router and splitting the bands. If you're unsure how to do this, please post your router's make/model on here and we will do our best to advise. 

Thanks. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.