Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2020

Soundtouch 10 noob questions

Sorry for the noob question. I recently picked up a soundtouch 10 as they are on sale being an end of life product. I was a bit reluctant having read many reviews complaining about the clunky app and connectivity issues. Mine seems to be working ok so far, but it did take me over an hour to set up (I had to reset my router to get it to work). 

I bought this to replace my 10 year old wave and plan to use it as a single speaker to play radio channels. My question is, is it ok to run this thing for extended periods, 12 hours or even running 24/7 without causing any issues?  I've noticed the part right below the rear port runs a bit hot. Not too hot but enough to wonder if it might need to be turned off to cool off every couple of hours. So far I have not read about overheating issues but i don't know how other people use their soundtouch speakers. 

Another thing, I might buy another for a separate room to run in a similar fashion but running less hours. I don't know if it's ok or if having two of them might somehow not work with the app or have issues with the wifi. I know they are supposed to run as pairs but I would like to run them independently of one another at the same time. 

Finally, can someone tell me what happened to my wifi signal on my phone. The phone I use to connect to the soundtouch 10 via the app no longer sees my 5ghz network which is the one I connected to. I'm assuming it now connects to the internet via the soundtouch speakers?

Thanks in advance, sorry for such noob questions this is my first time with this sort of product.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

Re: Soundtouch 10 noob questions

Hi Orangewombat, Welcome and thank you for your post! 

I'll be happy to help where I can! We have not had any reports of over-heating with the SoundTouch 10 so I think it'll be ok to run for a long period of time. 

Our SoundTouch speakers are designed for multi-room listening. So having more than one speaker shouldn't cause you any issues. 

Regarding your phone's wifi, I would recommend rebooting your phone to see if this improves this. 

Let me know if there is anything else I can do, please reach out again!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2020

Thanks for the quick response. Ambient temp right now is 23c and I'm getting 38-39c at the hottest part of the speakers. I expect it to go a little higher in the summer.

Actually the wifi thing is still going on. I connected the speaker to my 5ghz band and now I'm no longer able to detect it with my phone that I use to set up the speakers. I can connect the same phone to the 2.4ghz so it's not an issue of connectivity as it is a curiosity behind the cause of it. Also I can't seem to turn off the app on my phone (android) even though I have disconnected my wifi and turned off the speaker it still shows up on my notifications tab. 

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 13, 2017

Never a noob question in this community 

The Hardware for the ST speakers in fantastic - really good and I have never had a HW issue. I have 7 10s and a 20 too - all on the same network and connect a turntable too.

The SW is poor though which is the only thing that worries me.  As for the app - be aware that it sometimes does not recognise the speakers, when it doesn't the remote usually works fine.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2020

I agree, it's quite cumbersome. A risk I was willing to take doing my research prior to purchase, having read the multiple complaints from users about the software. Right now it doesn't bother me too much but in the long run I hope I don't end up throwing the pair out of my 20th floor apartment window..

I bought a second one had trouble pairing, but got them going after about 40 mins. I had to reboot my router a few times and I lost connection with first speaker a few times in the process. 

Now they are paired, I have a problem with bluetooth intermittently cutting out. Not looking forward to spending most of my day looking for a solution for that. 

My other main issue now is that the soundtouch app seems to be always connected to the speakers. I can't log out or disconnect my phone which will add to the power consumption.  

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 17, 2020

Well it didn't take long for this system to live up to it's reputation. Less than 24 hours after purchasing the second (less than 48 hours overall) and connecting it to form a stereo connection with my original, I started having issues. Either one or the other disconnecting intermittently, or one playing out of sync with the other when using wifi presets. Sometimes skipping like you would experience on a cd player.  Also, the remote seems to pick and choose which unit it wants to work with every once in a while. 

The last couple of days I've been trying different things to try and remedy the issues, rebooting my wifi, resetting the speakers, unplugging them. It's hit or miss what works and what doesn't. I'm normally quite a patient guy but this is not something I'm looking forward to dealing with long term. Add me to the list of sorely disappointed users of this system, needlessly complicating something that much cheaper products are able to do without issue. 

I definitely won't be buying more of these for my mom or aunts like I wanted, and I will probably be throwing these out in less than a year.