Highlighted

Re: Soundtouch 10's cutting out

Hello Robmo62,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I am so sorry you are having this issue. As you have tried all troubleshooting steps, the best option here would be to reach out to your local customer support center and talk this issue through with them. They have the ability to look into your system and see what is happening. You can do this by clicking this link here, selecting your region, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and selecting contact us. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2020

Soundtouch 10/Soundtouch app / UK  Kent / 

I have 2 speakers , 1 down stairs in the kitchen and 1 upstairs in the living room. Speakers set up to wifi. When using the soundtouch app, I connect to the speakers then when I try to play all they drop out and it says can't be found. Does my phone with the app on it need to stay close to the router or one of the speakers? Very frustrating. 

Trouble shooting I have done are: Moved my router out into the open . Bought a wireless booster and place it in-between the router and downstairs speaker. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem...I can't seem to fix it. If anyone could shed any light that would be great. Thank you.

Highlighted

Hey Technoidea Abbo, 

Welcome to the forums! 

There's some great troubleshooting in this thread, alongside the steps you have already completed. Please can you give the steps a try and let me know how you get on! 

If the issue persists it would be great to know which app/device/phone firmware you are running at the moment! 

Thanks.😊

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2020

Hi Vicky, 

Thanks for getting back to me so promptly!

So I have done all the troubleshooting steps and I am getting closer to understanding about this. 

I'll update you then I have a few more questions. I am using the soundtouch App to do various things..stream from Spotify, listen to the radio from my presets or podcasts from tune in or from my stored library subscriptions on phone. 

The signal strength RSSI in the living room speaker is Good and the speaker downstairs in the kitchen is Fair . (what are the scales here? e.g how many steps are there...Poor, Fair, Good, Excellent etc. )

I have bought a wifi booster from Sky to help the speaker downstairs. So it is getting wifi signal..white indicator. 

I need to ask..might be obvious so excuse me...But does my phone with the soundtouch app need to stay upstairs close to my router at all times if I want music to be coming out of both speakers? Currently there is no cutting out from the speakers. However when I take my phone downstairs with me to the kitchen the speaker tray drops out and says searching for speaker...then speaker cannot be found. 

Is there a way for conveinience, eg when cooking or doing other tasks down stairs , that I can keep the speakers connected and working so I can change the music or answer texts etc without losing connection. It seems strange as wifi is reaching the speakers and my phone still stays connected to the internet down there?

I hoopoe this makes sense....I look forward to hearing from you. 

Regards

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Apr 5, 2020

Apologies forgot to send these details that you asked for...

I am using an iPhone SE 64GB 

iOS 13.4.1

On a Virgin Network 40.0

App :

Interface version   24.0.3

Protocol version 64

App version 23.0.4

living room speaker = software version 24.0.7

Kitchen speaker = software version 24.0.7 

All these numbers , I dint know what they  all mean or if they are what they should be?

Also in my last message I told you the signal strength of speakers RSSI was good and fair. I am now confused to see in the app that after my problem solving steps they have changed to living room=poor and downstairs kitchen = poor

Be great to hear from you after you have digested all this...

thanks

Highlighted
Community Manager

@Technoidea Abbo - thanks for getting back to us. 

The SoundTouch app is more of a direct controller. Imagine it like a window into viewing the speakers. When opening the SoundTouch app, on your phone for example, the phone sends a signal to your internet router to search for these speakers. The router will then handle this command, and search out on the network for the speakers, which will return a positive or negative response, either locating the speaker successfully, or showing "Searching for speaker" still within the app. 

If the app has successfully found the speakers, you can then initiate audio playback, or streaming, to the speakers. As a "controller" app, the SoundTouch app in this moment will serve more as a vehicle to deliver the command to play/pause/group/etc the speakers. Resultantly, it is not required that the phone remain nearby. You could take the phone with you across the country, but the speakers will continue to play audio. However, when your phone is not connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the speakers, you will be unable to "find" the speakers, as noted above to how the speakers are identified and located.

Adding a Wi-Fi extender/booster like that of which you've mentioned from Sky may complicate the matter, instead of progressing toward finding a resolution. This is simply due to the fact in which the speakers are located on the network through the SoundTouch app - the router is sending out a searching command to locate the devices. Additional hardware like a secondary access point can make it more troublesome for all of the mentioned systems to easily communicate with each other. 

While we're happy to help in any way that we can, have you reached out to Bose customer support directly? Within the UK we have a dedicated team of SoundTouch agents who can help troubleshoot your issues in real-time. A peer-to-peer community like the Bose forums is not traditionally the easiest place to diagnose, troubleshoot and resolve these types of difficulties. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 2, 2020

Had same issue. I changed from 2.4ghz wifi to 5g and problem appears to have been immediately solved. Have listened uninterrupted now for an hour last night, and 6 hours today. Previously was cutting out every 5 minutes. NOTE I ALSO HAVE 2 SOUNDTOUCH 10's paired. 

Both have played continuously together without issue since switching to the faster wifi network.

KNOCK ON WOOD

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 18, 2020

I am also experiencing problems with my SoundTouch 30 and 10 not staying connected and cutting out. Is there a solution. Bose really needs to step up and solve this

Highlighted

Hi All,

Thanks for posting and contributing to the discussion!

@Durantjw, have you tried the troubleshooting posted in this thread so far? I would definitely recommend starting with these steps as there is a lot of helpful information available to help with this issue!

Let me know how you get on with these steps!

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2017

All - I've not posted for a while and am still using my Soundtouch 10's etc. I've got used to the occasional cutting out and having followed the advice throughout this thread can reassure others that you should be able to limit this issue.

I have an ST 30 as the main unit with the two 10's in the group, the 30 never goes wrong and the 10's that frequently cut out are fairly stable now. I reset my Virgin Superhub 3 perhaps once a month or when I have problems. I also power down the 10's for a minute or so at the same time and this seems to resolve any issues. NB the router is set up for 2.4 & 5 Ghz and all three units are logged into the 2.4 Ghz. I use the Soundtouch app on a Motorola Android and home PC and mainly listen to radio and Spotify.

Hope this helps