Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Soundtouch 20/10 wifi not working together

Hello,

I have a soundtouch 20 and two 10s. All speakers work fine when used alone but they won't work together well. I can add the 10s to the 20 in the app, but while the 20 will play the sound, the 10s do so only very unreliably, even though they are grouped together in the app. Perhaps the 10s will sync after some seconds, but after a random time (in the seconds) one or the other, or both, will go silent. Fast-forwarding to the next song sometimes get's them in sync, but most of the time not and sync will drop again quickly.

I have tried making a 10 the master and syncing the 20. Music then plays ok on the 10, but then the 20 has sync issues.

The devices are connected ok to the WLAN (I can see the left led is bright) and seem to also connect to the soundtouch master, as the right led starts flashing initially and then settling to bright. However, even though the right led is bright, the sound may drop while the led keeps being lid in bright. Or the right led goes bright but no sound played from the speaker at all.

All three devices where bought in short succession from the same vendor, and I updated the firmware on all of them when prompted uppon first connecting them to the network. I am using a NAS to store the music, but the problem also occurrs when playing an internet radio station. I have also moved the speakers around the room to no effect. The router is in the same room, but some meters appart, to router connectivity should not be the problem.

This is very frustrating, because I bought the system hoping to just turn it on and play music, rather than having to fiddle with it.

Can someone give an indication about why no sound would be played from the paired speakers even though the soundtouch (right) led is bright? I suspect that perhaps my router may be to blame, as it comes with a very cheap plan, but as it sometimes works the problem seems not to be a missing feature in the router.

Thank you very much

Timo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Re: Soundtouch 20/10 wifi not working together

Author Accepted Answer selected by kurt-hectic

Hi,

I tried with another, more modern, router and the problem disappeared. I can only warn everyone to use the soundtouch with old WIFI equipment.

b.t.w: The usability of the app is absolutely ardous. Changing WIFI networks of 3 speakers takes upwards 30 minutes..

thanks for you help

Timo

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Timo,

Sorry to hear about the issues you're having with the 'Play All' functionality on your SoundTouch systems.  

The Wi-Fi LEDs on the SoundTouch systems will only say if the systems are connected to Wi-Fi, not the quality of the connection.  If you go into the SoundTouch app, then Settings>About then click on each individual system, it will tell you the "RSSI Signal Strength".  What is it listed as for both systems?

Typically with 'Play All' issues, the problem is caused by throughput issues on the router (not slow internet, but slow communication between devices on the network), which will typically be caused by poor Wi-Fi connectivity.  It could also be caused by wireless interference or caused by too much activity on the router (but that is very rare).  

Check the Wi-Fi connection, and also try connecting the SoundTouch 20 via Ethernet (just for testing) and let me know what happens.

Thanks,

Brandon

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Hello Brandon,

I cabled the 20 and now it works like a charm.

When I check the signal quality, the speakers have varying quality, ranging from low to excellent, even though they are in the same room and all not too close and not too far from the router. What is more, the signal quality in the 10s now also varies from low to good but with the 20 cabled that does not seem to matter.

Does this suggest a problem with the WIFI/router, or with the 20? As I said, the speakers are about 2-3m from the router with direct line of sight in the same room. Signal quality or interference from other WIFIs not been an issue so far. The 20 works good standalone through the WIFI, pulling songs from the NAS or internet radio.

I will try with a different WIFI router today, just to be sure. Is there a way to find out why the connection drops, like a logfile or so that can be retrieved from the speakers?

thank you
Timo

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Dec 5, 2016

Hi Timo,

Great to hear that the system works flawlessly with Ethernet, but if the devices are so close to the wireless router there is no reason why this shouldn't work over Wi-Fi.

Is there any reason to believe that there is a lot of interference in the area?  Say, a cordless land line phone or microwave?  Maybe you are living in an apartment complex and there are countless other wireless networks around you fighting for the 2.4 GHz spectrum?  

Logfiles from the speaker or app will tell us that the system is disconnecting, but not why the system is disconnecting.  They might be needed in the future but for now we can hold off on getting them.

Thanks,

-Brandon

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Hi Brandon,

there are some other networks on the same WIFI channel, but the signal strength of my WIFI is much stronger than the other ones.

I moved the speakers and router around a bit and that made it better, but still the connection will be unstable. I will try with a different rounter and also try to change the WIFI channel (not so easy with the product I have) and will then revert back here.

Thank you

Timo

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 17, 2017

Author Accepted Answer selected by kurt-hectic

Hi,

I tried with another, more modern, router and the problem disappeared. I can only warn everyone to use the soundtouch with old WIFI equipment.

b.t.w: The usability of the app is absolutely ardous. Changing WIFI networks of 3 speakers takes upwards 30 minutes..

thanks for you help

Timo

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

SoundTouch app unstable

Had this problem previously, more than a year ago.

Past week or so, my Soundtouch 20 and Soundtouch 10 speakers which are paired up on the app have been cutting out and in intermittently. Past couple of days, it has been terrible to the point I switch them off. A few weeks ago, it was only the Soundtouch 10 speaker cutting out and in. After a few attempts of re-installing the speaker it sorted itself out. But now problem is with both speakers.

I have re-added both speakers two or three times, no difference. I have uninstalled the app from computer a few times and re-installed. Problem still persists. I even had the same problem playing my music library through the app. Speakers keep cutting out and in. Everything points to the app being unstable.

Highlighted

Re: SoundTouch app unstable

Hello Wolfman1958, 

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry you are having issues with your speakers cutting out. Let's see what we can do. The first thing I would like to do is reset the router? Can you let me know how this goes? All you need to do is unplug it for 5 minutes and plug it back in. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Re: SoundTouch app unstable

Haven't rebooted my router, but past couple of hours, speakers have been operating without dropping out ! Only thing I have done is delete the app from my computer and use iPad app instead for control.