Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Soundtouch 20 Buffering problem

My Soundtouch 20 can go for days with no problems and then suddenly I get continual buffering.

Connection is by wifi and I mainly listen to UK national radio stations. The buffering occurs regardless of which station I am listening to.  Sometimes the speaker will "time out" and ask me to press a pre-set to get going again.

I was using Tunein but switched to Radioplayer to see if that would improve matters but with no improvement.

I can listen to Spotify and other internet feeds with no problems. 

I have rebooted my router and all updates have been installed.

Here's hoping someone can help me resolve this frustrating problem? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Soundtouch 20 Buffering problem

Author Accepted Answer selected by martinhb

Hey martinhb, thanks for your message. Do you have any other Wi-Fi hardware in your home, such as extenders, boosters, repeaters, etc? Are there any other devices nearby that could be causing wireless interference? Can you also advise exactly what radio stations that you're listening to and experiencing difficulties with? 

Are there any corresponding messages displayed within the SoundTouch app, or on the SoundTouch 20's screen, when this buffering begins? 

To clarify - have you performed a reboot on both your home's modem/router, and the speaker at the same time? While we're happy to help where we can via the Community forums, sometimes there may be deeper router settings that we need to investigate to better understand the root cause of the issue. Within the UK we do have live assistance available via telephone, whereby we're able to personally investigate your home network with you in real-time. You can reach the UK team on 0333-0142-545. We do also have some more general Wi-Fi troubleshooting suggestions available on our support site HERE. These will be useful, as the issue currently only occurs when you're streaming via Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth is functioning correctly. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Hey @martnihb,

That sounds quite annoying - apologies for the inconvenience.

How far from your WiFi router is the SoundTouch 20 placed? How many rooms way is it?

I'd recommend performing a reset first, by disconnecting it from power for two minutes. Afterward, test your services and let me know if you notice an improvement!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Hi 

Many thanks for the quick reply. 

My WiFi router is in the hall and approx 15 feet from the SoundTouch 20 in the next room; they can almost see each other.

I'd have already tried a reset but the problem persists. 

Strangely I have switched to listening via Bluetooch with no problems ------ so far!

I would still like to get the wifi problem sorted so if you can offer any other suggestions please let me know.

Kind regards, Martin

Highlighted
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by martinhb

Hey martinhb, thanks for your message. Do you have any other Wi-Fi hardware in your home, such as extenders, boosters, repeaters, etc? Are there any other devices nearby that could be causing wireless interference? Can you also advise exactly what radio stations that you're listening to and experiencing difficulties with? 

Are there any corresponding messages displayed within the SoundTouch app, or on the SoundTouch 20's screen, when this buffering begins? 

To clarify - have you performed a reboot on both your home's modem/router, and the speaker at the same time? While we're happy to help where we can via the Community forums, sometimes there may be deeper router settings that we need to investigate to better understand the root cause of the issue. Within the UK we do have live assistance available via telephone, whereby we're able to personally investigate your home network with you in real-time. You can reach the UK team on 0333-0142-545. We do also have some more general Wi-Fi troubleshooting suggestions available on our support site HERE. These will be useful, as the issue currently only occurs when you're streaming via Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth is functioning correctly. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 22, 2020

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I will contact the UK Team as you suggest and see if we can resolve this problem.

Thanks, Martin