Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Soundtouch 20 stuck on updating at 50%

I can see that others have been having a similar problem but I can't see any solutions.

I've inherited an older soundtouch 20 that was running a very old version of the software. I tried updating using the app but it always failed when trying to add the speaker to my account (the device was found and was on the wifi network). So I tried updating the speakers software via the USB method.

The software was copied to the device and it started to install. But now it is permanently stuck at 50% installing. This is what I've tried so far...

Unplugging it over night and restarting.

Pressing 1 and volume down (nothing happens)

Pressing 4 and volume down (nothing happens)

Pressing any combination of buttons when it's rebooting (the hand with a no-entry sign appears and nothing works)

All of these always result it in trying to restart the update and getting to 50% then stopping.

This is clearly not a hardware issue and I don't want to have to pay to send it for repair when it worked fine previously before a legitimate software update.  What are my options now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Re: Soundtouch 20 stuck on updating at 50%

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dave_T

Bose customer support finally got back to me and told me to send it in for repair.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hello @Dave_T and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you have had in updating your SoundTouch 20 and would be happy to look into this for you.

I do have a few suggestions that I would ask you try for this!

1) Please connect your SoundTouch 20 via the Ethernet cable, and power cycle the system by disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable. When reconnected, if the update does not proceed automatically, please then remove the USB and try the Manual update buttons ("4" and "-Vol"). If this does not update, please try the Factory reset buttons ("1" and "-Vol") as you had done before.

2) When you went to our site here, this gave you the option to install update files for your SoundTouch 20. There are separate files for the series III version compared to the series I and II. If your system does not have Bluetooth and has Airplay, this is a series I or II, while if this does have Bluetooth, this is a series III. Can I confirm that you have used the correct file here, as installing an incompatible file could potentially cause the system to corrupt and be unable to finish setup in a way you have described here.

3) If you disable the Wi-Fi on the product, are you then able to attempt the update again from either USB method? While the system is on, if you hold "3" and "-Vol" until the countdown reaches 0 this would disable the Wi-Fi. You would be able to re-enable this later by holding the same buttons again.

Please return to me at your convenience to let me know how you get on!

Liam W - Community Support

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Hi Liam,

I’ve tried the solutions you mentioned. Even when connected via Ethernet I just get the same result.

However I can’t rule out I used a Series I/II update file. I have downloaded the Series III file a couple of times and made sure it’s the correct one now but it won’t read the USB drive now.

Any attempts at resetting (4 and Vol- and 1 and vol-) don’t start the countdown. Nothing happens at all.

If it is the wrong file that I used surely there would be a check in it to prevent it being installed on the wrong device.

Any more ideas?

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hi Dave, thanks for the quick reply.

With regards to the check, normally the updates are checked by the system or by the app. When you update this manually, you are overwriting that sort of check and installing the current file onto there.

Other than the steps suggested above, there's not more that I can suggest you do here. I understand that this was not what you wanted to do, but I would advise that you reach out to support in your local area for service on your product.

You can do this by clicking here, selecting your country/region, then navigating to "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page if needed.

Please follow up when you can.

Liam W 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Just a quick update. I mailed the customer support with all the details and about 5 days later I got a reply asking a couple of questions.  I replied immediately to them and since then haven't heard anything at all.  So I have to say that Bose customer support isn't very helpful at all.  I'm still holding out hope that they might get back to me one day. If they do I'll update this 🙂

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 20, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by Dave_T

Bose customer support finally got back to me and told me to send it in for repair.

View solution in original post