SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

Soundtouch 30 AUX Latency

The AUX has a high latency and makes AUX useless for any realtime scenario. The solutions offered are completely bogus. For such an expensive device, this is a shame. Even a $10 amped speaker does not have such an issue

Some support person said on another thread that it will be solved by AirPlay... that seems to make no sense, but anyway, AirPlay is there now and the AUX latency issue is still there.

For almost two years, I was under the impression that this issue is caused by my wireless instrument / mic system and all that time went wasted as I could not use the wireless system that I purchased to go along with the SoundTouch. Now that I know that it is a SoundTouch 30 issue, I bought an L1 Compact for the room. It does not make sense to have two speakers in the same room, so I think that the SoundTouch 30 will soon show up on eBay, I have no place for it at home..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

Re: Soundtouch 30 AUX Latency

Author Accepted Answer selected by SM

That is strange, this is what I get. Maybe they offer that feature only in the US. And maybe it will not even solve the latency problem, since the name suggests that it is for video lipsync. It is kind of convenient to be able to turn NAS music or SiriusXM news with the click of a button on a remote. But so can you, with a phone and bluetooth with a few extra clicks. I hated this SoundTouch 30 from day one. It is crappy hardware and even more crappy software. And I don't like crappy things, certainly not in my living room. 

My Bose L1 Compact arrived today and I set it in a corner, hidden behind a fake tree planter. So far it is sounding awesome, and it has so much horsepower for those one off occasions when you want to create hell in your livingroom.

This whole idea of wifi speakers is nonsense, Bose should just work on good hardware and leave UX software to people who know software.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Marty K.
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Have you tried in the app going to the settings menu->Speaker Settings, selecting your speaker, then selecting Group Settings and turning on video sync?  This is supposed to help with delay issues.

SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

There is nothing called group settings. That may be applicable to the mono 10 model. 30 is a stereo.

Marty K.
Leader
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

For me, group Settings do show up for my SoundTouch 30, as shown in this screenshot.  You can toggle video sync on and off once you go in to group settings.

SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by SM

That is strange, this is what I get. Maybe they offer that feature only in the US. And maybe it will not even solve the latency problem, since the name suggests that it is for video lipsync. It is kind of convenient to be able to turn NAS music or SiriusXM news with the click of a button on a remote. But so can you, with a phone and bluetooth with a few extra clicks. I hated this SoundTouch 30 from day one. It is crappy hardware and even more crappy software. And I don't like crappy things, certainly not in my living room. 

My Bose L1 Compact arrived today and I set it in a corner, hidden behind a fake tree planter. So far it is sounding awesome, and it has so much horsepower for those one off occasions when you want to create hell in your livingroom.

This whole idea of wifi speakers is nonsense, Bose should just work on good hardware and leave UX software to people who know software.

View solution in original post

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@SM wrote:

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new L1 tower. Sounds like a pretty nice setup.  

I think the latency issue can be hit and miss. Currently I am getting pretty good results with both SoundTouch and Airplay. The only latency seems to come when I introduce my iMac into the mix. Otherwise my SoundTouch and Smart Home speakers seem to be playing well together on both SoundTouch and Airplay without any latency issues.

I think a lot of the issues around SoundTouch are more related to inherent wifi fussiness. When things are running well you can’t beat these SoundTouch and Smart Home speakers for sound.

I have found SoundTouch multiroom to always work well.  

SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

I don't know what you are talking about. You are talking about audio synch / lipsync issues with multiroom and airplay. My original issue was about simply connecting a guitar or microphone via the AUX connector on the SoundTouch 30 and the unacceptable latency thereof. Have you tried that or experienced that?

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@SM  Wrote: My original issue was about simply connecting a guitar or microphone via the AUX connector on the SoundTouch 30 and the unacceptable latency thereof. Have you tried that or experienced that?

I have not tried an input like a guitar or mic. I am referring to wifi adaptors like AirPort Express and SoundTouch adaptors which is a more common application. An analogue terminated device (3.5mm) like a portable CD player would be another example.

SoundTouch speakers are not designed as a PA speaker.
I suspect the devices you are trying to connect like guitars and mic’s have there own latency issues especially over a digital network.

SM
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2016

je ne comprends pas

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@SM wrote:

je ne comprends pas

Je n'ai pas essayé une entrée comme une guitare ou un micro. Je fais référence aux adaptateurs wifi comme les adaptateurs AirPort Express et SoundTouch qui est une application plus courante. Un appareil à terminaison analogique (3,5 mm) comme un lecteur de CD portable serait un autre exemple.

Les enceintes SoundTouch ne sont pas conçues comme enceintes de sonorisation.
Je soupçonne que les appareils que vous essayez de connecter comme les guitares et les micros ont leurs propres problèmes de latence, en particulier sur un réseau numérique.

Seriously, what I am getting at is music devices like wifi adaptors and CD players using 3.5mm connections are less likely to have a latency issues than devices like mic and guitar adaptors and tv connectors.