Soundtouch App on Windows Laptops Can't Find Speakers

Kim
Audible Advocate

Re: Windows Laptops Can't Find Speakers

Princeau99,

I just tried opening my Soundtouch App again on my Windows 10 laptop, and it still says it can't find the speakers. I checked my wifi and it is connected, and all my devices are on the same wifi network.  Thanks.

Brent,

I finally found in my Norton Firewall where two Soundtouch Programs were being allowed through.  The two programs are called "SoundTouch Application", and "SoundTouch Music Server".  I'm assuming that this means that it's not my

Norton Firewall preventing the Soundtouch Apps from working.

Thanks.

Hi Kim, 

Nice - that is good that you found them. Sometimes, after an update, you may need to remove and re-add the exceptions. Can you see if re-adding them helps the issue? If it doesn't, can you try to adjust the security encryption on your router to just "WPA2"? I've heard of a few detection issues recently that were solved by making this adjustment. 

Thank you ​​​​​​​

Kim
Audible Advocate

Brent,

I removed the Soundtouch exceptions from my Norton Firewall, and then they were added back.  This did not correct the problem.  Then I changed my security encryption on my router to just "WPA2", this also did not fix the problem. Here is more information about my router setup in case it is helpful to you. It is a dual band router, but I have the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz set up as two separate networks.  All of my devices are only using the 2.4 GHz wifi network, and I have the channel fixed on just one channel, so all my devices should be on the same network and using the same channel.  I don't know if that information will help you or not.  Occasionally the apps will find the speakers and work, but it never lasts for very long, and then the pictures of the speakers gets grayed out and it says it can't find the speakers again.  Do you have any other suggestions or should I just give up on the apps every working correctly?  Thanks for you help. - Kim

Re: Soundtouch App on Windows Laptops Can't Find Speakers

Hi Kim, 

Yes, that is very helpful to know. What is the make and model of your router? Have you tried unplugging the router and the speakers for 30 seconds to see if that helps? I wonder if there is some sort of interference on the 2.4 GHz frequency that could be at play here. Can you try to connect one of your speakers, and one of your PCs to the 5 GHz network as a test, to see if it clears up the issue? 

Thank you 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

it`s friday, so yet again my windows app has decided it can`t find my speakers! Perhaps it`ll start working again on sunday, like it did last week?

Hi andycpem,

Can you try power cycling your router to see if that resolves the issue?  What brand router do you have?

Is this the 2nd friday in a row this has happened?  I'm assuming you don't have any parental controls or timers set in your router settings, but we might want to make sure they are disabled.

Thanks,

Brandon

Kim
Audible Advocate

Re: Soundtouch App on Windows Laptops Can't Find Speakers

Brent,

The make and model of my router is "TP-LINK Archer C7-AC1750 Dual Band Wireless Router".  I have actually been using this router even before I got my two Bose Speakers, so my two speakers have been using this router for well over a year with no problems, until now.  I don't think I should have much interference on the 2.4 GHz frequency. I live in a remote rural area with no neighbors.  I assume that is where some people's interference comes from. I did go ahead and connect one of my laptops and also one of the speakers to my 5 GHz frequency.  This did not improve the problem.  I also unplugged the router and the two speakers for 30 seconds, and this also did not improve the problem.   The apps are still occasionally able to find the speakers or sometimes just one of the speakers, but as I've mentioned before, it doesn't last very long.  I'm really hoping we can find some solution to this problem.  Thanks so much for your help.-   Kim

Hi Kim,

Thank you very much for the detailed response. After taking a look at the router settings for the TP-Link Archer C7 there are a couple of other things we would like to verify:

1. "IGMP Proxy" is disabled.
  2. "UPnP" is enabled.
  3. "AP Isolation" is disabled for both the 2.4 and the 5GHz bands.
  4. Last, If you navigate to the "DHCP Client List" within the router are you able to see the names of the two Windows computers there as well as the SoundTouch systems?

Thanks!

Kim
Audible Advocate

Michael,

It took me a while to find these settings for my router, but I think I found what you asked me to verify concerning my router settings.

In the IPTV Settings, I found the "IGMP Proxy", it is set to Enable, and the Mode is set to Automatic.

In the Forwarding Setting I found the "UPnP", it is set to Enable.

In the Wireless Advanced Setting, I found "Enable AP Isolation", the box beside it has not been checked, so I assume that means that it is Disabled, since there is no checkmark in the box beside it.

I looked at the DHCP Client List, and my 2 Windows laptops and both Bose Soundtouch Systems were on the list.  Actually, every device that I have connected to my Wi-Fi was on the list.

I don't understand what all these settings do, so I didn't make any changes. Did you want me to disable the IGMP Proxy?  I'm about afraid to make too many changes because I don't want the Soundtouch Apps on my Android tablet, and my Ipod Touch to stop working as well.  If that happened, then I would have no way to control my Soundtouch Systems.  I also don't understand how the router could be the problem.  I had the router before I purchased the two Soundtouch Systems, and all my Soundtouch Apps that I have installed had been working great, with no problems for over a year. The problems with the Soundtouch Apps on my 2 Windows laptops just recently started.

Thanks for your help.-  Kim

Kim,

Thank you for the detailed answers. We have seen multiple instances in the past where the IGMP Proxy setting being enabled on the router has caused similar discovery issues. We should see if disabling this setting will allow the application to see the speakers consistently. The reason we want at least check to see if there's any setting in the router which can resolve this is that there are some instances where issues remain dormant for awhile, or a firmware update is pushed to the router.

Having said that, when did this issue occur? Was that after a software update, installation of new hardware/software, etc.? Are the two Windows computer connected via Ethernet as well as WiFi to the router (we would ideally just want either or)? Are there any other routers, repeaters, or extenders in the network setup?

Thank you