Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2020

Soundtouch Performance

Ok where do I start, perhaps by saying when the system works well i love it, and the speakers sound great. However the performance is driving me crazy. I have two SA 5, several pairs of wired speakers and also 2 x Soundtouch 20, throughout the house. On a regular basis one of the SA 5 drop out midway through songs and reconnects after 3 or 4 minutes, this speaker is within 6 inches of the wifi router. Often speakers going missing from the app but can be found with direct access through spotify. If i don't play certain speakers for a few days I have to reconnect them to the system. Often i can't see certain speakers in the app but can see them on the list of other speakers in the app. If you try to adjust the volume through the app its unstable and can jump from low to full. I feel I have invested to much now to go backwards, around $4500 (Australian) I just wish I had done more research.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Soundtouch Performance

The culprit is likely the speaker that is six inches away from the router. I suggest connecting that speaker directly to your router using an Ethernet cable. You may have to go through the setup procedure for that speaker again. Make sure all of your speakers are connected to the same network SSID. Also try signing out of your ST account then sign back it. This clears up a lot of problems

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2020

Thanks, i'll give that a try and report back. Not sure if will fix the unstable app but if that was the only issue i could live with it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2020

Hi, well i went to check and to my surprise that particular SA 5 was connected by ethernet! ( It was installed for me by a home stereo contractor) So thats not the issue!

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

How is your network reception around the house. Are all your speakers on the same band?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2020

They are all on the same band and wifi network. the two SA 5 are both within 500mm of the router (in a cabinet that holds all media. The two 20's are both upstairs, we have pretty good wifi coverage , doesn't appear to be any blackspot on wifi. I work from home and i conduct video conferences in my office so with one of the 20's on my desk.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Ian Hall wrote:

They are all on the same band and wifi network. the two SA 5 are both within 500mm of the router (in a cabinet that holds all media. The two 20's are both upstairs, we have pretty good wifi coverage , doesn't appear to be any blackspot on wifi. I work from home and i conduct video conferences in my office so with one of the 20's on my desk.

What you are describing sounds like signal interference. I have have two ST 30s, one ST 10  an ST WiFi adaptor for my Cinemate 130 and a Bose 300 speaker. My router is out in the open centrally located in my house and is part of a MESH network. The speakers are located all over my 3000 sq foot house. Plus wireless TV players and a bunch of smart home stuff. One ST 30 is connected directly to the router over Ethernet. I don't encounter many issues with dropped signals. I think the main reason is my router location and condition of network. The SoundTouch gear is very capable. I think you need to review what is going on with your router and SA-5 gear placement.

I gather your SA-5s are connected to the router and hardlined out to the speakers. Is all this happening inside a cabinet?

Your router should be out in the open free of any interference from other devices.

Are the SAS5’s on different shelves? 

Try Wifi SweetSpots, its a little app that you can use to check the integrity of your network. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 2, 2020

• Both SA 5s are in the media cabinet, one is connected by ethernet (the one that constantly drops out) and the other just connected by wifi. The cabinet is closed. I will check my wifi signal but I assume that it would be strongest next to the SA 5s. Both SA 5s are hardwired to speakers. 
  • I will use the app you suggested to check my wifi signal and I am thinking of getting a professional in to provide wifi extenders and strengthen the signal particularly outside on my deck. 
  • I have to admit this is more than somene should reasonably have to go to.
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Ian Hall wrote:
  • Both SA 5s are in the media cabinet, one is connected by ethernet (the one that constantly drops out) and the other just connected by wifi. The cabinet is closed. I will check my wifi signal but I assume that it would be strongest next to the SA 5s. Both SA 5s are hardwired to speakers. 
  • I will use the app you suggested to check my wifi signal and I am thinking of getting a professional in to provide wifi extenders and strengthen the signal particularly outside on my deck. 
  • I have to admit this is more than somene should reasonably have to go to.

Check your ethernet cable. It may be faulty.

The router should be outside cabinet. 
Both SA- 5s , if anywhere near the router, should be connected using ethernet.

I suggest a visit from a tech. They can go around the house and check all your connections, your cable setup etc. I did that and a few changes were made. 
I use MESH pods (Plume) as recommended by my cable company when using the wireless tv players. Your requirements may differ.

Wifi is fussy. You have lots of speakers. This stuff does take time. I have spent hours on my setup, especially since there has been lots of tech changes Including full IPTV over the past couple years and a change in residence. 

With a little patience and a lot of determination I have a very stable network delivering lots of quality content from a variety of sources.