Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapter Issues since last update - HELP!

Ever since the last update, I'm having several problems with my 4 x Wireless Link Adapters.

I stream from a music library on a mac to the 4 x WLA, and at least once a day, the app just disconnects itself, and then goes to "ready to play" status with nothing playing and no group selected, meaning I have to hit play, add the group - essentially start all over again, but for no reason. Sometimes it will do this twice a day, other times it may skin a day.

Then throughout the day regardless of reset or not, we get dropouts and glitches of the audio. It goes on all day, worse some points, better at others.

We're connected via a dedicated wifi network (no other devices except the mac) and using 2.4g with the adapters in different rooms but never further than 25 feet away and only through one partition wall each. We're also on a least congested wifi channel we can find. We're on a top of the line Netgear router.

Does anyone have any ideas how to troubleshoot this? Should we change wifi channels? Do we need to uninstall, factory reset and and reinstall the entire thing again?

Help! The system is unusable. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Soundtouch Wireless Link Adapter Issues since last update - HELP!

Hello, lasure, 

Thanks for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with your SoundTouch Wireless Link Adapters. 

To give me a better understanding, can you please confirm: 

1. What device are you accessing the adapters, directly via the SoundTouch app on the Mac or via a smartphone? If you've not tested, can you please try another device to see if the same issue occurs?

2. What is the DHCP lease time on the router? Does the lease time line up with the disconnections? 

3. You mentioned changing WiFi channels, I would recommend setting the channel to a static channel and do not allow it to automatically switch. 

Please find below a list of our recommended settings for network-based speakers. 

Recommended router settings for Bose product compatibility

1. UPnP: Enable
  2. Multicast: Enable
  3. IGMP: Enable
  4. Wireless Isolation: Disable
  5. IGMP Proxy: Disable
  6. IGMP Snooping: Disable
  7. Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode: Mixed or B/G/N
  8. Stealth mode: Disable
  9. MAC Filtering/Access Control: Disable, or add the Bose system MAC address to allowed devices list
  10. WPS: Disable
  11. WAN IP Blocking: Disable

Recommended router settings for Bose product performance

1. Wireless channel: Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended

Standard Wi-Fi uses 11 channels. Selecting the best channel might require trial and error. Choose channel 1 or 11 and observe the system to see if performance improves. If it does not, try the other channels until performance does improve

2. Security type: WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption

Some routers offer a mixed security mode of WPA (TKIP)/WPA-2 (AES) for compatibility with older products. Choose WPA-2 only if no networked devices depend on WPA or mixed mode. If unsure whether or not other networked devices will be affected, note the current security setting, switch to WPA-2 and try all other networked devices. If necessary, return to the previous security setting

3. WMM: Disable

This setting is intended to optimize streaming services but typically gives priority to voice or video streaming, which can negatively impact audio streaming or reserve bandwidth for voice or video devices even if they are off. Although disabling WMM is recommended, on some routers, enabling WMM improves performance. If WMM is disabled on the router and issues are experienced with your Bose product, enable WMM and check for improvement

4. Dual-Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) SSID: Name both differently.

With routers that broadcast more than one network, give the networks distinct names. If your networks have the same name, products on the networks might not know the difference with the identical names. This can cause them to intermittently disconnect and reconnect while trying to switch between networks. To prevent this, for example, if the router offers a 2.4 GHz network and a 5 GHz network, name one "MyNetwork2.4" and name the other "MyNetwork5.0."

I'll look forward to hearing from you! 😊

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Hi @Jeff_G 

Thanks for the detailed suggestions! I'll try all these settings out and report back....

Highlighted
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 13, 2018

Thanks again @Jeff_G 

I switched on (better said un-disabled) multicast and that seems to have stopped the glitching audio/drop outs but at least once a day, the Soundtouch App stops, and reverts back to "ready to play", where I then have to go back to menu->music library->select playlist->play speaker group.

It's like the system gets discounted and has to reset.

I'm going to look in to the DHCP lease time but it should be 24 hours and the system shuts off at different times each day (i.e. not the same time). 

Are there any ideas what could be causing this? Also, the computer it's streaming from is set to never power down, only save the screen when not in use. 

Highlighted

Hi lasure,

I'm glad to hear that you are making progress with this!

It's definitely worth changing the lease time and seeing if this changes the behavior of the system so please do let us know how you get on with that.

As you mentioned it's at different times each day that it will stop playing, have you noticed any pattern to when this happens? Does it coincide with when the screensaver shows on your computer, only happen when getting to the end of a track/playlist, or anything like this?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!