Sparksy70
Participant
Registered since

Jan 17, 2021

Soundtouch app won’t play iTunes

Can anybody please help me. I have been trying to get my iTunes tomplay through my iPad Bose app all day and it still doesn’t work when my laptop is offline. The only way I can get it to work is when my Mac laptop is online...surely this can’t be right, I can tried deleting the library and adding it again. I have tried everything suggested. I get the error message on the iPad. ‘Looks like your music library isn’t available right now, try again in a few seconds’ it NEVER WORKS....AAARRRGGGHHHH. surely I don’t need to have my laptop working to run this from my iPad....what’s the point of the app if I have to run 2 devices to get the thing to work?? I M at the end of my tether! HELP!

Bose product name

Country

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Any troubleshooting steps you took

2 REPLIES 2
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Soundtouch app won’t play iTunes

@Sparksy70 

I believe this has to do with the latest Apple updates. Something to do with Apple not using XML and the libraries any more. In short Apple wants you to either use their Apple Music service in select speakers like Sonos. Alternatively you can use Airplay, if your speakers supports it.

There are many posts about macOS Catalina and XML. Because Bose has chosen not to carry Apple Music, Stingray and a few other good music services, you will have to rely on Airplay which I find works well on my Apple and Bose devices works very well. 

Essentially the “iTunes”  feature on SoundTouch is no longer supported. To be I honest I never used it. Synchronizing the on board SoundTouch storage didn't excite me as a feature. I preferred plugging in an Airport Express into each of my SoundTouch speakers. This approach is no longer required with built in Airplay of course.

Frankly, this is 2021. Local storage is going by the way side. However you can still draw on your local storage tunes and broadcast using Airplay.

Looking at the history of Bose SoundTouch and Apple Airplay, seems we have gone full circle and the present Airplay iterations work well. I like the fact I can light up all my speakers using Airplay and play the music service of my choosing.

So if you want to play your music stored on your laptop I suggest giving Airplay a try. Simply go to Apple Music app, connect speakers via the Airplay panel and play your songs.

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Soundtouch app won’t play iTunes

@Sparksy70  Additionally try Apple Match. That is and affordable way to spread your Tunes around to your Apple devices. Another way is to download your iTunes songs to each device using USB connection. It’s not SoundTouch but if you don’t want to pay for Apple Music or Match cloud services, at least you can put your song library on each Apple device. 

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.