kaktus018
Participant
Registered since

Jan 28, 2020

Spotify on SoundTouch 10 via Amazon Alexa not working

Hello everybody,

I've read some older posts about this issue and wanted to ask if this is just inherently not supported by SoundTouch products or if I am missing something. I own a SoundTouch 10 and connected it to an Echo Dot via the available Bose skill (not the one "without SoundTouch"). I managed to configure Alexa to play music via the SoundTouch by default. However, this only works with Amazon Music. When I simply say "Alexa, play Spotify on <SpeakerName>" it responds that playing spotify on this device is not supported. Is this true? Is it only possible to play music via Spotify Connect or the Bose app? Did I miss something in the configuration? Is there a workaround?
I really want this to work, so any help is appreciated! 😖

Regards,

Dominik

7 REPLIES 7
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Spotify on SoundTouch 10 via Amazon Alexa not working

Hello Dominik,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I would be happy to help with this.

You are correct, with the "Bose" skill for Alexa it is not currently possible to play Spotify with Alexa commands. However, in some countries/regions, we do have two skills for Alexa that allow for different functions to be controlled by Alexa.

There is the "Bose" skill, which I believe is the one you have been using, and you can find more information on how this works and the features available HERE.

There is also a "Bose SoundTouch Control" skill in some regions that has a few different functions you can control and more information on this can be found HERE. The advantage of this skill is you can use it to play presets you have set with the SoundTouch app. If you were to set Spotify content as a preset you could start your speaker playing that preset using this skill.

If you are unable to access the "Bose SoundTouch Control" skill in your region, then the only ways to play Spotify to your speaker would be using the SoundTouch app, Spotify Connect, or by setting the desired Spotify content as a preset, and using the on-board buttons or remote to play the preset.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
kaktus018
Participant
Registered since

Jan 28, 2020

Hi Keith,

thanks for your reply! From what I've read this occasionally worked in the past but stopped working after the November firmware update. Do you have any information if Spotify via Alexa is made available again? This is the #1 use case for me.

Thanks!

Gfranza
Participant
Registered since

Dec 12, 2019

Please get that fixed! It’s ridiculous that Bose skill doesn’t support Spotify, the biggest music streaming! It should be easy to ask Alexa to play music a hear it through our Bose devices which are not cheaper and people would like to enjoy them! 

rainbm64
Participant
Registered since

Sep 27, 2020

Amazon Alexa won’t play Spotify to SoundTouch speakers

What I’d going on Bose. This issue has been going on for months if not years! 
can Bose not get honest and say what is preventing it from working instead of giving work arounds and oh so helpful things to try. How about posting some real information instead of wasting words in your replies with oh so polite on off phrases thanking posters following up and best wishes for resolving the issue and invitations to post again if they continue to have problems. 
it seems to me that Spotify is a major player in the streaming service market and this simply should just work. 
If it’s being caused by protectionism from Amazon who want to force people to use their music steaming then say so!

Stop being political, if that’s the problem. Be honest. This is really putting me off Bose.  This used to work. Bose are a premium product and I pay the premium to have products that work and are easy to use.  
Fix this Bose, or get honest. If you can’t do either of those, you’ve list me as a customer. 
Mark, who you can probably tell is frustrated and annoyed

User_1310a
Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2020

This skill doesn't appear to be available in the UK. Any other way to get Alex to play Spotify on Soundtouch?

axtrin
Participant
Registered since

Dec 4, 2020

i did come up with a workaround for this. First you need to remove the Bose speaker from the group you have it in. For example, I have a group called “livingroom” where I had my echo dot and Bose SoundTouch 10 in. I had set the speaker as the default for the group. I removed the speaker from the group and made sure the default speaker was no longer pointing to it. I then went into my echo dot (this is all within the Alexa app) and connected the Bose speaker via Bluetooth. I set Bluetooth as the default speaker. In Alexa I set Spotify as the default for music and podcasts. You can do this by going into the Alexa menu, settings, then music and podcasts. Now I can say play music and my echo automatically uses Spotify and my Bose speaker. Hope that helps!

Kirsty251977
Participant
Registered since

Jun 3, 2021

For Bose Soundtouch users trying to get their Spotify to play through Alexa group speaker (Bose Soundtouch). As of today’s date you may as well give up trying. After much trouble shooting I have worked out  that Alexa won’t allow you to play Spotify on a Bose speaker that is connected to your group. It says “spotify is unsupported”. When you change the group speaker back to the Alexa speaker, Spotify works again. Why won’t Alexa/Spotify/Bose support this? You can’t set your Bose speaker group to play Spotify directly, however you can pair your Alexa through Bluetooth with Bose. That is the only way you will hear Spotify on your Bose speaker. Unfortunately that means all the Alexa commands and responses go through the Bose speaker too.  Why can’t people be told on the forums by the Bose/Spotify and Alexa teams.  Instead people are spending hours and hours of their lives trying to figure out why it won’t work. This should be an easy fix for one of these companies, why can’t you all put your heads together and do it? People have spent their hard earned money on these products that are supposed to make our lives easier. Please let me know when there is an update and this function is available.