Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Koji2021
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2021

Streaming Apple Music lossless audio via Soundtouch speakers over airplay

Hi, I have two Soundtouch 30 and two Soundtouch 10 speakers. I stream music to these speakers via Airplay from Apple Music on my Mac. I wanted to confirm directly from Bose whether I can play lossless audio (ALAC up to 24-bit/48 kHz) via this method. There’s one website that says it can but I’m not sure if that website is reliable.

From a discussion with Apple Support, I can confirm that I CANNOT stream High Res Lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/192 kHz) via Airplay from but they said that I can stream lossless (ALAC up to 24-bit/48 kHz) via Airplay but is also dependent on the speaker so I was advised by Apple to contact you (Bose) directly.

I would appreciate your advise as soon as possible. Thank you.

Bose product name : 2 Soundtouch 30 speakers and 2 Soundtouch 10 speakers 

Country Philippines

Firmware Version (the latest)

App Version (the latest)

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.) - Apple Music via my Mac, iPad and iPhone

4 REPLIES 4
Xyz987
Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Streaming Apple Music lossless audio via Soundtouch speakers over airplay

No, you need a wired connection for lossless.  For high resolution, you also need an external DAC.  If the Bose Soundtouch 10 and Soundtouch 30 are powered speakers with a self-contained DAC, then probably not, even with a wired connection.  Good luck finding out what the Bose DAC is capable of.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183 

Koji2021
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2021

After doing more research on the web and then speaking to an Apple Senior Advisor, lossless Audio can be transmitted over Airplay but is limited to up to 44.1 KHz. More information on the link, you’ll have to scroll down to the more relevant details :

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252848734

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Koji2021 I have been reading the same. Airplay carries limited lossless. 16bit/44kHz.

I failed the Lossy v Lossless perception test or at least couldn’t tell the difference.

I think I can tell more from remastered cuts. 

Koji2021
Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2021

Yes, the difference is not that great; however, when playing jazz and classical pieces at high volumes, the tracks come out fuller especially with sounds coming from jazz drums, saxophones and classical violins.