GlassKnees
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Trying to Set up Soundtouch With WD NAS: A Tale Of Woe

My tale begins with a sudden and inexplicable loss of service. Before I begin, let me describe my home setup. My wife and I have been using a Bose Lifesyle system for years and have since added a Sound Touch 10 and a Portable Sound Touch speaker - all are controlled the app on our iPads and wife's iPhone. We plaly music stored on a Seagate NAS, which is Ethernet connected to a Google Mesh router (three mesh nodes throughout the house). All has worked well until recently, all of a sudden, we are unable to access our music via the Soundtouch app. All manner of troubleshooting on my part, including resetting the NAS, routers, deleting and re-installing the apps on our iPads, failed. 

Finally, I contacted Sountouch tech support via telephone. There were several lengthy telephone sessions - one even included having a guy remotely get on my desktop. We were unable to find the cause nor fix the problem; in the end, the tech support guy theorized that our Seagate NAS might be the culprit and suggested I get wither a Western Digital My Cloud NAS or a Synology device, as Soundtouch works fine with either of those products.

Needing more storage anyway for backups, I decided to go out and by a second NAS - a WD My CLoud 4TB device. After getting it installed on our network (physically plugged into one of the Google mesh nodes), I soon discovered that I would probably need something called Plex. Ultimately, I ended up with a Plex foldler on my NAS and copied our music files into the Ples/shared music folder. But the Soundtouch app can't see the new deivice and hence access the music.

A subsequent call to Soudtouch Tech Support resulting in another 1:30 session with, once again, the technician remotely accessing my computer. Turns out, he knows nothing about Plex, which I have since learned is a third party media server. On my own, I have learned that I need to install a Plex server on my NAS so that it feeds media content to a client; whether Soundtouch is a Plex client or I need to install a Plex client and somehow mate it to Soundtouch is still a mystery to me...  At any rate, I found a video that supposedly guides one on how to set this all up click here. But I guess this is old and stuff has evolved (devolved?) since then, as my WD Discovery app does not know anything about Plex servers.

Undaunted, I went to the Plex site, created an account, and found that I can download a server to my WD NAS, but there's a hitch: Plex wants to know what model MY Cloud storage device I have:

Plex.jpgPlex server download screen shot

Guess what? I have no friggin clue as to what model I have - there is nothing on the box or on the device to help me. So, I try to find Plex Tech Support and there is none, just a user forum. And that's where I am. Somewhat closer to a solution, but increasingly disappointed with the whole thing. Bose tech support set my expectation by claiming that this would be easy and then failed me. And it seems that in order to plat music on my Bose devices, I now have to resort to a Rube Goldburg setup with second and thrid party players, and I need to be technically savvy enough to know all about DLNA devices instead of a 68 year old retired guy who simply wants to listen to his music.

We recently moved into a new home and have been considering buying a new Lifestyle system for the living room and relegate the old Lifestyle to the basement when we get it finished. Now, I'm thinking perhaps I should consider a competing product, but my concern is that the competition likewise has similar support issues.

14 REPLIES 14
GaryG45
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Re: Trying to Set up Soundtouch With WD NAS: A Tale Of Woe

Hi,

I understand your pain.  I had problems connecting my SoundTouch 20 to my WD MyCloudMirror NAS.  The WD NAS had a media server pre-installed that is called Twonky.  You might want to check your NAS manual to see if there was a pre-installed media server, so you won't need to use Plex.  I had to go to the WD user forum to learn how to modify Twonky because the Soundtouch had problems with the way I had my music setup on the NAS.  The SoundTouch app would not let me select a specific folder with my music and because I had a FLAC version and MP3 version in different folders in the same share it showed both copies.

Regarding DLNA, the Soundtouch is NOT fully DLNA compatible, so you may experience problems with it.  I've tried to use a couple of media players and all fail.  They play one song then stop.  There are a number of posts on this forum about people trying to use DLNA with different media players.

When we use the Soundtouch, we usually stream Spotify; otherwise it is rarely used.

GlassKnees
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

Well, I finally got Soundtouch to play music on our W.D. My Cloud NAS. At one point I on the NAS I saw that DLNA Enbable was unchecked (I thought I had checked it), so I made sure it was on, reset the NAS and the network and I saw the NAS on the app as well as the music!  But I had to navigate a little differently see here

But yesterday, Soundtouch pushed out another update  -- oh crap! Sure enough, things went to Hell.. I tried power cycling the NAS, reseting the network node that it is connected to and after awhile things were working again. But this morning, I'm back to sqaure one - no music, Sountouch can see the NAS but can't find the music. I'm done with this bull**bleep**. It is time to chuck these devices and go shopping for a product that works reliably.

GaryG45
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

Although you had a Soundtouch app update recently, have you checked the NAS to see if DLNA Media Streaming is still turned on?  Another thing to try with the NAS is to rescan the DLNA database, which should rescan your music library.  These should be available through the WD My Cloud Dashboard under the Settings option.  These may only apply to the built-in media server and not the Plex media server.  On my WDMy Cloud Mirror I use the built-in media server, Twonky.  

I'm starting to use Plex media server on my PC for home videos, so I cannot help much with Plex.  The user manual should tell you how to get to the dashboard on the My Cloud.

I've tried to avoid the Soundtouch app and use music players like Foobar2000 and JRiver to play my music to the Soundtouch, but because my Soundtouch 20 isn't fully DLNA compatible I can only play one song at a time.

Regarding shopping for another device, I wish I had bought another Sonos speaker instead of the Soundtouch.  I would recommend Sonos for non-high-res music.  For high-res I'm currently looking at Bluesound.  Good luck in your search.

David Moore
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Reading the other Posts here I suspect some are using WD My Cloud Home etc. which does not support DNLA and ITunes server.

I am using My Cloud ex2 Ultra firmware 2.31.193 with Dlna media server 7.2.9-15 and Itunes database also enabled.

My Soundtouch devices are now running 22.0.3 and playback is still working without issue with the Soundtouch app and the Nero steaming Player app under IOS which is also to read the My Cloud and select the Soundtouch devices for playback.

My music is in ITunes AAC format and a very small number of MP3 - I use Apple Lossloss instead of FLAC.

The only issue is that the Soundtouch app library is showing some directories that do not contain music files.

I have had no problems using Play all with music from the My Cloud, note that 2 of the 3 Soundtouch devices are connected via wired network.

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

The only 3rd party music app I've seen that works decently for controlling SoundTouch is mConnect Lite which is free - you can play songs from a DLNA server to SoundTouch.  I have it on iOS and I presume there's an Android version.  There's also a paid version but I don't know what else it might do.  Among other nice things, it doesn't stop after one song, it can control the volume, and it can even (gasp!) seek within a track, which the Bose app cannot do.  

GaryG45
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 25, 2018

@GlassKnees  Another thought for your problem is that the Plex Media Server on your NAS may have shutdown.  A restart of the NAS should not restart the Plex Media Server.  In your first post you mentioned that you didn't know the model of your WD NAS.  Most models have the name written on the front, but the WD My Cloud Home doesn't.  You may need to reinstall Plex Media Server using the correct NAS model.  You might want to try the mConnect Player Lite app as suggested by Marty K.  I installed it on my iPad today, and it is working fine.

@Marty K  Thanks for the suggestion for mConnect Player Lite.  It is playing music from my My Cloud Mirror NAS to my Soundtouch 20.  I'm still trying to figure out if I can select folders on the NAS.  I have a share named Music_Library with two subfolders: FLAC for a FLAC version of my music and ALAC for an ALAC version of the music.  mConnect is playing the ALAC version.  Most of my FLAC music is 24 bit 96KHZ and maybe mConnect can only play 16bit 44.1KHz music.

Highlighted
Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

@GaryG45

I am 95% sure that SoundTouch cannot play 24 bit FLAC files, irrespective of mConnect. When I try to play them from my DLNA server through the Bose app, I just get one of Bose's cryptic error messages on the SoundTouch display and in the app.  16 bit FLAC files work fine.  I don't know if ALAC files work as I don't have any and have never tried. 

Probably depends on your DLNA server software on your NAS - I use Twonky on my PC and it does let me navigate by folder for all folders that are shared - this works in both mConnect and the Bose App.  

GlassKnees
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

So, I discovered another wierd thing - the Plex server on my W.D. NAS appeared on my iPhone! But I canonly play music from a list of "Recents" - I cannot select songs in my music library on the NAS. Here is a screen shoto from my iPhone:

IMG_0444.PNG

But I cannot see the NAS on Soundtouch on my iPad. I did play a song from recents picked on my iPhone and played it on the portable Bose Soundtouch player in our bedroom, so I know that the Plex server is running and streaming music.  The Bose Soundtouch app is a P.O.S.

GlassKnees
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 31, 2019

You asked about my loading and installing the Plex media server. I attempted that by going to the Plex website and drilling down to the downloads page. You eventually get to this:

Plex Media Server Page.jpg

But the model I have isn't listed. Mine, accoding to the sticker on the bottom of the box is a WBDVXC0040HWT-NESN.

I went to the Western Digital website to see if I could obtain a model number that looked like one listed on the Plex downloads page and this is what I saw:

WD NAS Models.jpg

And of course, I cannot get any help from the Plex folks because they have no technical support.