Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Trying to play from wifi music

Hello. I need help after many hours of troubleshooting. I cannot seem to connect to the wifi network of my Nexum Tunebox21. I an trying to take the sound out of my analog hifi stereo. I have a cable to the sound in on the Tunebox from the stereo headphone jack. The Bose and the Tunebox both connect to the homenetwork fine. When I try to get my Bose to connect to the TuneBox signal, it just won't. What am I doing wrong. I have reset both multiple times. Are these two just not compatible? Anyone know the Tunebox21 set up and how to get my old stereo to be wifi connected? I bought the Bose 

because it claims both wifi and bluetooth but I'm stumped! The Nexum came highly recommended as did the Bose! GRRRR!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Trying to play from wifi music

Author Accepted Answer selected by jsnauman

If I read your issue correctly, it won't work like that.  It connect to your home network, not the tunebox network.

It's like having a sonos Wifi speaker and a Bose.  They both work how they are supposed to, but they don't link up.

The Bose will play from streaming sources such as Spotify or play from airplay devices (if you have a Soundtouch device it will stream from a computer as well), from other bose devices, or you can BT direct from non-bose devices.  If your tunebox has BT output and it's within range you can BT to it.

If your Bose is a SoundTouch speaker, the best suggestion I would have would be with the SoundTouch wireless link adapter.  That would essentially make your tunebox a soundtouch device as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Author Accepted Answer selected by jsnauman

If I read your issue correctly, it won't work like that.  It connect to your home network, not the tunebox network.

It's like having a sonos Wifi speaker and a Bose.  They both work how they are supposed to, but they don't link up.

The Bose will play from streaming sources such as Spotify or play from airplay devices (if you have a Soundtouch device it will stream from a computer as well), from other bose devices, or you can BT direct from non-bose devices.  If your tunebox has BT output and it's within range you can BT to it.

If your Bose is a SoundTouch speaker, the best suggestion I would have would be with the SoundTouch wireless link adapter.  That would essentially make your tunebox a soundtouch device as well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Thanks. That's what I was coming to realize. I am trying to find a speaker that works with the Nexum product. It is a box that sends the music over wifi instead of bluetooth. I need a signal that goes farther than BT can reach, so the TuneBox was recommended. Little did I know that it wouldn't work with anything I currently have. Back to the hunt. Thanks for your help!

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Honestly unless it uses chromecast audio or apple airplay, then you probably have to stick to the same brand.  Those two processes are the only universal ones I know (Bose don't do chromecast at this stage), that other brand speakers will accept.  I think you'll find most major brands (Sonos, Sony, Pioneer, etc) will all use their own app integration and won't connect

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

The Tunebox is supposed to work for wifi speakers no matter the brand. The reviews were so good I jumped in....I just discovered that the one I have needs to broadcast to a second one (different model) to take the analog signal and put it on the network and then the other is a music streaming signal that feeds to any wifi speaker. We shall see. I got the other one coming. I'll update the outcome.🤞🏻

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

I've just had a quick search (interestingly enough the official website doesn't show much at all), and it may work differently than you expect.  The Nexum stuff seem to be wireless receivers not transmiters.

It looks to me that it's similar to the Soundtouch wireless link adapter.  As in it receives music wirelessly from the router/modem, but still needs to be plugged into the speaker (I assume it has outputs such as optical/3.5mm on the back).  So the Bose (or any other speaker) won't connect to it wirelessly, you just plug it in to the aux on the back.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Thanks. I'll have to check out the setup here. I think the second unit will allow me to pick up the signal from the first and then be plugged into the aux on the Bose. I am surprised there aren't more easy solutions to connecting us old farts hifi systems to a network wifi server. Bluetooth is too weak a signal for a household like this. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 30, 2020

Hi there Morlock...

Thought I'd fill you in on my issue that I have resolved! So the Nexum Tunebox serves as a wifi streaming source. You were correct in that this system and the Bose speaker do not communicate wirelessly. So the set up required me to get a second Tunebox. Now the two Tuneboxes talk to eachother via my wifi network. I have my Hifi stereo connected to the Aux input of the TB21 from the headphone jack. On the other box (TB20) I have the output aux cable going into the Aux of the Bose Soundtouch10. The TB21 then has to be switched to AUX. (It can be set to NET to work as an extender of my network but I don't have a need for that since I have a Netgear mesh). After letting it sit a few minutes, the signal comes through and the sound is fabulous and it reaches all the way from my closed garage in front to the back of my house. Waaaayyyyy better than bluetooth!! The Nexum info is very lacking but it was the customer support on the purchase at Amazon that helped me to resolve it. Thanks to everyone here that tried to help!!🙏🏻