TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

SOLVED
Friendly Fanatic

Re: TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

Hello Bose team,

I have just signed up here, because we receive countless emails from our listeners who have recently stopped listening to us through their Bose device.We are providers of more than 30 web radio channels in Germany. Since TuneIn has not picked up any more stations since the beginning of the year, this aggregator has died for us. 

I have sold my own audio hardware in the meantime and will not use a device anymore, which integrates TuneIn.

Bose made an absolute mistake and we communicate this exactly to each of our listeners. How do you get such a "nonsense" to break a functioning system? vTuner is fast, responds to new registrations and communicates with the broadcasters. The TuneIn database is corrupt and incomplete. Even Alexa from Amazon now has other aggregators, because of these problems with TuneIn.

We hope that Bose will remedy this as soon as possible and provide an acceptable answer!

Animated Arbiter

I just went on to the Bose Live Chat and managed to have a chat with someone there (I know, I actually got a response from them!) The main points:

- He was unaware of the change from vTuner to TuneIn until I brought it up. He had to ask one of his colleagues.

- The low quality problem for TuneIn is apparently to do with them having a technical outage and it will be restored to high quality when everything is back up (we'll see!)

- vTuner made the decision to close their relationship with Bose

- He said he'd forward a request to get the stations I want added. I'm not confident though.

- He said he'd forward my suggestion to allow us to input streaming URLs ourself. Again, not confident.

At least I got some answers. I'm still very annoyed about the whole thing. I told him how disappointing the lack of supported services on SoundTouch is.

Animated Arbiter

Thanks, charlieejn, for chiming in. The guy who claimed to be from vTuner said that Bose ended the relationship because they didn't want to pay the royalty. Presumably the truth lies somewhere in a more complex middle.

With all the talk of TuneIn's quality and coverage, I see that the iHeart service is offered in the app. Nobody has mentioned it as an alternative. I don't have an iHeart account and won't, but does anyone know if they provide the coverage?

Animated Arbiter

translation: TuneIn offered them more money. The required user subscription fee for Hi-Def will come after cutover. 

Friendly Fanatic

This is the CEO and Founder of vTuner. Bose decided to stop working with vTuner. Also Bose did not notify me about this ahead of time. 

Vocal Volunteer

@charlieejn wrote:

I just went on to the Bose Live Chat and managed to have a chat with someone there (I know, I actually got a response from them!) The main points:

- He was unaware of the change from vTuner to TuneIn until I brought it up. He had to ask one of his colleagues.

- The low quality problem for TuneIn is apparently to do with them having a technical outage and it will be restored to high quality when everything is back up (we'll see!)

- vTuner made the decision to close their relationship with Bose

- He said he'd forward a request to get the stations I want added. I'm not confident though.

- He said he'd forward my suggestion to allow us to input streaming URLs ourself. Again, not confident.

At least I got some answers. I'm still very annoyed about the whole thing. I told him how disappointing the lack of supported services on SoundTouch is.

I have found the posts on this topic very interesting. I have met the change with a degree of optimism for a few reasons:

Remapping the presets was effortless, of course it would have been even better if the update could have done that and spared me a few minutes of worry while trying to figure out what was going on.

Tunein works like a real app on my other devices, app features is not available For VTuner.

VTuner, ShoutCast, iHeart and TuneIn all have their strengths and weaknesses, especially around

station availability. ShoutCast, on Apple devices, has been losing stations for years. Bose made their decision to end VTuner for their reasons. Hopefully the decision will yield dividends for customers and Bose alike.

Some things I would like to see with TuneIn:

Bit rate publication

Always higher bitrate 

The ability to add streams, this feature works well on iTunes. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

iHeart only offered in selected countries, and not where I live unfortunately.

Hello All,

We apologize for any misinformation provided around this issue.  These responses from our agent are not correct, and we'll look into it on our end to see what happened.  Any new or updated information will be available in THIS thread.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Animated Arbiter

As I recall it, they didn't say that "Internet Radio" would stop working, just that they were adding TuneIn. It sounded like an add-on, not a replacement.

I wish!

Quiet Contributor

If you really are the CEO, why not just identify yourself as Peter Johnson? http://www.vtuner.com/about/team.html