TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

SOLVED
Strident Supporter
Strident Supporter

Re: TuneIn is replacing Internet Radio!

It's important to continue the communication on the subject and continued to contest because we want a true Quality... If not, Sonos is a good alternative...

Strident Supporter

Strident Supporter

Animated Arbiter

This Forum's moderator said, some days ago, the following:

>>We've made the move to TuneIn because it has a very reliable and robust stream and should have the same content as Internet Radio from vTuner.  If you are having any troubles finding the stations you're looking for, I'd definitely recommend contacting TuneIn as they're very receptive to making changes.<<

Apart from wondering why he thinks TuneIn has the same content as vTuner - Bose should KNOW if the content is the same, and the posts in this forum show that it isn't - I took his advice about contacting TuneIn to solve my small problem.

I e-mailed them from their web site to tell them that, on my SoundTouch, when I used TuneIn to go to Radio Mozart, a long time favourite station of mine, I got the right information on the app screern, but completely unrelated sound. After a couple of days I got a reply asking for more information, which I provided.

I weill now share with you TuneIn's latest response.

>>Hello Doug,
Thank you for getting back to us.
At TuneIn, we connect you with streams from over 100,000 radio stations from around the globe, however, we are neither the station nor the streaming host. I highly suggest that you contact the station so that they might be aware regarding this issue.
To contact a station or program directly, please navigate to the station's profile page, and then click the "More Information" menu under the station's logo. If they have provided us with any contact information you will find it here. They will be able to provide you with information about playlists, contests, and content.
I hope you understand. Please let me know if you have additional questions. <<

I find this quite extraordinary. To put it in cointext, there is nothing wrong with Radio Mozart's internet feed - I can get it any time on my Roberts Internet Radio. So it would seem to me that the fault must lie in the connection provided by TuneIn.

TuneIn are ignoring my problem (they never mention what it is in an e-mail which is clearly a "cut and paste" standard reply). And the problem itself also applies to one of France's most popular radio stations, La Premiere.

But Bose are recommending we contact them to resolve any problems. My problem is a very small one - the problems of people in Iceland, or Belgium, to take just two of the nice ones, are vastly more important. I also wonder what anyone living in China is supposed to do now ..

Joel, please assure me that relervant Bose managers know that this is happening. .

It's really very simple. Like most people here, I don't care what service you use to connect us to internet radio SO LONG AS IT WORKS. TuneIn works a bit, in some places, spectacularly badly in others, and not at all in some. That is unacceptable.

And their customer service people, either by accident or design, are not helping us with real problems.

This is Day 5 of a running disaster.  When, oh when, will Bose management indicate that they understand the problems their customers are having? And maybe even, you know, do something about them?

Animated Arbiter

While I appreciate the attempt to impose calm, this is balderdash.

"Bose made it very clear that they were moving to TuneIn sometime back."... NO. I got no email and no in-app messaging. I don't know where you got that idea. Bose has my email address; I've got two or three marketing emails this week alone. Sunday's shutdown was a complete shock.

"Bottom line is you still have an internet radio and when you [originally purchased] your Bose you didnt know which provider Bose would use"... NO. I didn't know anything about a provider because the feature was marketed and labeled as "Internet Radio", so I should be forgiven for seeing it as something Bose provided. They made no attempt to surface the fact they were relying on a relationship with a third party. It did not appear to be in the same class as the TuneIn and iHeart services.

That said, I do understand that we are complaining about the disappearance of Free Stuff. I'm aware that it costs the content providers money to provide the streams; I assumed that they would appreciate the extra reach, given that they still broadcast the ads or (in the case of non-commercial stations) the pre-rolls. But, again, it's free stuff that Bose marketed so I feel cheated.

Animated Arbiter

TuneIn is not a content provider and it is not providing a free service; any expense is paid by the organization that is programming the stream. Bose removed the .pls stream capability because there are people who publish streams on the Internet without paying royalties to the music industry lawyers in violation of US copyright law and the current law in the US holds that Bose, as the maker of the device, is liable for this violation if users use Bose products to access this content that is in violation of law. I'm not aware of any litigation to this end but the threat of it is enough. The design of vTuner and TuneIn is such that it removes this risk as vTuner and TuneIn subsume the liabilty and reduce it by vetting stream providers to ensure they are in copyright law compliance. 

Ironically, what TuneIn appears to be doing, chaching and adding advertising to program material they do not own, is very likely a crime. TuneIn also seeks to have users pay them a fee for high definition streams and other content. Again, the high definition stream is not their property either and this would also be of questionable legality. 

It is very likely that the reason so many streams are not available on TuneIn is that owners have either refused to pay them a fee or have prohibited them from using their content in any manner. 

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

@DavidBrooks wrote:

While I appreciate the attempt to impose calm, this is balderdash.

"Bose made it very clear that they were moving to TuneIn sometime back."... NO. I got no email and no in-app messaging. I don't know where you got that idea. Bose has my email address; I've got two or three marketing emails this week alone. Sunday's shutdown was a complete shock.

"Bottom line is you still have an internet radio and when you [originally purchased] your Bose you didnt know which provider Bose would use"... NO. I didn't know anything about a provider because the feature was marketed and labeled as "Internet Radio", so I should be forgiven for seeing it as something Bose provided. They made no attempt to surface the fact they were relying on a relationship with a third party. It did not appear to be in the same class as the TuneIn and iHeart services.

That said, I do understand that we are complaining about the disappearance of Free Stuff. I'm aware that it costs the content providers money to provide the streams; I assumed that they would appreciate the extra reach, given that they still broadcast the ads or (in the case of non-commercial stations) the pre-rolls. But, again, it's free stuff that Bose marketed so I feel cheated.

WHen I purchased my Bose equipment it was because I could connect to my DLNA server, Wifi not Blue tooth, sync speakers around the house and listen to internet radio, all tested and worked. Now DLNA is pretty well useless and in the country I live in the main radio stations are unavailable. I was unaware and really didn't care how Bose delivered Internet radion and had never heard of vTunes and Tunein untill recently, on my Squeeze box I just entered the URL. I paid a premium for Bose and expect it to just work as advertised, and having a look through the FAQ on NZ Bose site yesterday most of it is no longer true and misleading.

So is this Balderdash I don't think so, we purchased a device to listen to Internet radio, how Bose does it is their business, and to be honest I don't care, but right now it doesn't work, with no option to manually add URL's, and no response from the Company I brought the product from, and who continue to advertise and sell with some false claims.

Earth calling Bose what say you....

Animated Arbiter

Paudux, just so you know, when David Brooks says “This is balderdash” he is referring to a post from mikeym666, extensively quoted in your post too.   The balderdash is the ludicrous attempt to say everything is fine, when as you (and pretty much everyone else posting on this forum) knows, we are in the middle of a commercial car crash, and Bose management appear to be ignoring this.

As its now Friday evening, doubt that will change for a few days.

But this weekend is a good time to post fair and intelligent reviews on e-commerce sites, pointing out the major changes and internet radio access problems to those who otherwise may only see outdated and now misleading publicity material.

Strident Supporter

i think it's very important to continue the pression because the management of Bose is very stupid to ignore the contestation. Bose had to react quickly next week because now, the press is ready to analyze the contestation. It's the clients all other the world that are angry...