Highlighted
nuclei
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Volume control ignored (Bose Wave SoundTouch IV)

Hello,

I am using Wave System IV with SoundTouch pedestal, it's been working great including volume control but just 2-3 days ago it started to ignore volume changes at SoundTouch app.

It's connected via WIFI and software version 23.0.12 with v23.0.2 interface + Protocol v64 and App v23.0.0 on Android. I see volume bar when I try to change but they simply got ignored on the machine (no reaction on LED display) so I must use remote to change volume which is painful.

I tried to cold reboot the machine and delete on the app and add again with no luck. Do you have any info regarding this situation?

Thanks,

UJ

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Volume control ignored (Bose Wave SoundTouch IV)

Hello nuclei,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear you are having difficulty with the controls for your Wave system and the SoundTouch app, and I would be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you have already done some great troubleshooting, so thank you for trying that and letting us know. A reboot and removing and re-adding to the app are definitely steps I would recommend taking to try and resolve this issue.

I do have a few questions for you so we can try and work out exactly what is going on with your speaker.

Does the ability to control the volume from the app change at all depending on which source we are using? Or is it the same for all sources?

When trying to change the volume in the app, are we using the volume slider or the volume buttons on your android device? Does either method react differently?

Do other controls in the app work? Like selecting stations and playlists or skipping a track?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Keith L - Community Support

nuclei
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi again, thank you for such a prompt reply!

Volume control does not work regarless Bluetooth and WI-FI, also both of slidebar and physical volume buttons don't work. I can see volume meter changes on the phone but nothing appears on the actual speaker device.

If I adjust volume on the app to the minimum so the bar goes all the way left and quit the app, I see them remembered when I re-run the app. So it seems like the internal volume setting is somehow saved on the phone. But that does not match the actual device's volume setting. When I change the actual device's volume with the remote, app volume does not get updated.

To me it looks like the protocol on the phone got some changes regarding volume control and that makes it no longer communicate with the actual device. All the other controls on the Android app like Play/Pause, Prev/Next Song work fine.

I tried to install SoundTouch PC version and found the same issue. For now I can use my remote to control the app or I use Bluetooth connectivity and change phone's Bluetooth volume. I also tried to push control button on the back of the device for 15 seconds and setup WI-FI connection again and still no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

UJ

nuclei
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

In the meantime, I was curious maybe I can actually send some signal using the protocol so I googled about it and found how to connect on PC via telnet to port 17000.

I successfully could read volume level by typing "sys volume" command on the prompt and interestingly it says wrong volume which is different from what I set by my remote.

->sys volume
sys volume target = 47 actual = 47
->OK

And I tried to raise it by typing "sys volume 70" command on the prompt and it did nothing although it said OK! I guess there's some bug on the latest firmware or it's just my machine broken.

->sys volume 70
sys volume target = 70 actual = 70
->OK

(nothing appears on the display on the machine side)

Same thing was observed on the other port 8090 (I put http://192.168.1.10:8090/volume on the web browser), it returned increased or decreased volume whenever I change the volume on the Android/PC application but did nothing with the actual device volume.

<volume deviceID="F4E11E5686DF">
<targetvolume>70</targetvolume>
<actualvolume>70</actualvolume>
<muteenabled>false</muteenabled>
</volume>

-> The volume value 70 was updated by app and had nothing to do with the actual volume on the device (e.g the device reports 38 when I push vol+ button on my remote)

Trying every command I could google, I finally managed to find one that actually works and it was "abl vol [volume in 0-100]" command. And the description for the abl command is "[Sets the volume of the speaker package]". Does this ring any bell on your side? Maybe there's a bug on the firmware which makes it think there are multiple speakers and ignore plain volume commands.

I would like to try older firmware to see if it's a bug or not. Could you please provide the previous firmware file (update.stu) so that I can try? (I tried all the other things except that, such as factory reset)

Best regards,

UJ

Hi UJ,

Thank you for providing that information especially the in-depth information on what happens when we use the ports to attempt control.

What it does sound like to me is that there is an issue communicating across the network and either a port is being blocked, or some data packets are being lost.

I would recommend checking the settings on your router and seeing if there are any that do not match our recommended router settings, listed below. I appreciate you may not need assistance, but if you would like a hand setting any of this up, you can reach out to your local support team and they would be happy to go through this with you.

Recommended router settings for SoundTouch™ compatibility

UPnP - Enable

Multicast - Enable

IGMP - Enable

Wireless Isolation - Disable

IGMP Proxy - Disable

Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N

Stealth mode - Disable

MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list

WPS - Disable

Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.

Security type WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.

WMM – Disable.

What I am also going to do is pass the information you have provided through to our engineering team to investigate further for us as well.

Let me know how we get on with those settings.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

nuclei
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi Keith,

Thank you for asking for router settings. I checked them and they did match your requirements. And I could actually see a solid TCP connection between PC and SoundTouch device using a software called TCPView. Also I could receive "OK" ack message everytime I send a command to TAP prompt, which means every packet was delivered successfully.

It would be thankful if you could let the dev team know that my SoundTouch has a problem with "sys volume <N>" command but "abl vol <N>" works just fine. It might ring a bell on their side!

Happy new year!

UJ

Hello nuclei,

Thank you for trying that and providing the update.

So I can gather some extra information on this, could I please get some Log files from the app and the speaker? So I can pass this information on as well.

I'm going to PM you with further instructions on how to do this so please check your inbox for that message.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

nuclei
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

Hi Keith,

I collected them both and sent an email to the address! Its subject is "Log: Volume control ignored (Bose Wave SoundTouch IV)"

Thanks,

UJ

Hi UJ,

That's perfect! Thank you for getting those to me so quickly. 

I've received those files and passed them along to the engineering team as well so we can investigate further.

When we have an update on this, either with some extra troubleshooting to try, an update to fix this or some more info we would like to collect I'll let you know.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Hey @nuclei,

We've heard back from our engineering team. We have a few additional troubleshooting steps we're keen for you to test,and relay the results of your experiences.

Firstly, force another firmware update on your speaker. To to this, follow the guide HERE.

Secondly, for the purposes of testing, we'd also like to test using a wired Ethernet cable connection between the speaker and your internet router directly.

I'd also like to know a little more about your environment's Wi-Fi network setup. Do you use any Wi-Fi extenders, boosters, repeaters? Do you have one master modem/router?

Kind regards,

Keith L