Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WazWii
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth module emissions

I am hoping someone can clear up some technical matters. I wish to know that when both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are disabled (by pressing down on certain menu keys as shown in the user manual for this product and some community support pages on this website), are both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules permanently disabled?

I do not want them in standby modes. This is because I want EMF emissions from both modules to be zero. When the lights go off on the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth icons on the front top centre panel I am assuming that both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules are permanently off but of course they could just be in sleep mode or low-power mode thus still emitting EMF emissions.

Can I also be told whether this has anything to do with stored memory devices? For instance the Soundtouch 10 Wireless speaker will have stored and remembered the three devices I paired it up with via Bluetooth. So I am assuming as long as those devices are in the memory bank of the Soundtouch 10 Wireless Speaker, then in reality, the Bluetooth module will not be permanently off, as it will enter sleep mode waiting for the paired devices I paired with to enter nearby to activate Bluetooth.

A similar case can also be made for devices linked to the Soundtouch 10 Wireless Speaker via the Wi-Fi option, in which case, the memory deposits in the Soundtouch 10 Wireless Speaker will also ensure here that the Wi-Fi module does not enter permanent disabled mode but a sleep/low-power mode, thus meaning EMF emissions are being emitted.

I hope someone (a Bose product engineer?) can clear this all up for me. One method is to use a EMF emissions detector to be fully sure. At the moment I do not have such a product but soon hope to have one. Please understand how concerned I am about EMF emissions (and their possible negative health effects, particularly on Electro-magnetic-sensitive people). I hope someone can reply with a detailed and thorough answer and provide some proof that both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules can be permanently disabled, thus providing a zero-emf level from both modules for the end-user. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Liam_G

Re: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth module emissions

Author Accepted Answer selected by WazWii

Hello WazWii and thank you for reaching out! I will happily assist you with this. 

Regarding your concerns with EMF emissions. The EMF levels produced from our products are not enough to cause harm. When you have disabled the Wi-Fi mode on the speaker (press and hold 3 and Volume for five seconds to disable.), you will also need to disable Bluetooth (press and hold the Bluetooth button on the speaker until the Bluetooth indicator blinks white) as they have individual antennas. This will clear the Bluetooth memory but will also disable Bluetooth completely. 

Once disabled, this will stop any EMF emissions being created. These systems will remain off until you re-enable them. 
To further eliminate any EMF emissions, I would also recommend that when the speaker is not in use. To power off the speaker, and turn off the power switch at the plug socket or removing the power plug from the socket altogether.

I hope this helps.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WazWii
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

To  be clear the product in question is the Bose Soundtouch 10 Wireless Speaker, and I am in the United Kingdom.

Liam_G

Author Accepted Answer selected by WazWii

Hello WazWii and thank you for reaching out! I will happily assist you with this. 

Regarding your concerns with EMF emissions. The EMF levels produced from our products are not enough to cause harm. When you have disabled the Wi-Fi mode on the speaker (press and hold 3 and Volume for five seconds to disable.), you will also need to disable Bluetooth (press and hold the Bluetooth button on the speaker until the Bluetooth indicator blinks white) as they have individual antennas. This will clear the Bluetooth memory but will also disable Bluetooth completely. 

Once disabled, this will stop any EMF emissions being created. These systems will remain off until you re-enable them. 
To further eliminate any EMF emissions, I would also recommend that when the speaker is not in use. To power off the speaker, and turn off the power switch at the plug socket or removing the power plug from the socket altogether.

I hope this helps.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

WazWii
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. You have answered my initial questions to my satisfaction.

However from your response I have two further questions.

Firstly how do I re-enable the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules/transmitters? What menu options/buttons do I press?

The second is related. When I switch the Soundtouch 10 Wireless Speaker off (whether this be by the button on the menu, the plug socket switch or even disconnecting from the mains), and then back on, are the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth modules/transmitters automatically switched back on? Or are they off as set when operating the device last?

OK I hope you can help.

Jessie_O

Thanks for coming back to us! 

Regarding your query, the speaker should remain with the WiFi and Bluetooth off until you turn them back on. You can do this by following the same instructions. 

Let us know if there is anything else we can do for you! 

WazWii
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 27, 2021

Thank you - you have answered all my questions. If I have any issues going forward with regards to the questions asked I will reply back in this thread.