Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2020

Wifi Dropping

My Sound Touch 20 keeps dropping it's Wifi connection every 24 - 28 hours,

I have updated the firmware and rebooted both speaker and router but this did not fix the problem

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Wifi Dropping

Hi Ianhickinson,

It sounds like you have been doing some great troubleshooting already, updating the speaker and performing a reboot of the speaker and router are great places to start with this. I do have a couple of questions for you, so I can get a better idea of exactly what is happening with your speakers when you have this problem!

Firstly, when the speakers drop the Wi-Fi connection, what color is the Wi-Fi indicator on the speaker? 

As you have mentioned this happening every 24-28 hours, have you noticed any patterns to when it does happen? Is it always when listening to a specific source, after turning it off for a certain amount of time, or anything like this?

Also, is this something that has only started happening recently? If so, have you made any changes to your network, or speaker position/setup recently?

I look forward to getting to the bottom of this with you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2020

Many thanks for getting back.

1: The display remains white

2: Wifi typically drops when speakers in standby mode

3: This has been happening for a few months, I think may have started happening after an update.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

Highlighted

Thanks for confirming this.

Can you confirm for us the firmware version of your SoundTouch 20? 

• On the top of your product, simultaneously press and hold 5 and Volume - buttons for about 5 seconds: Hold for system information appears on the display with a countdown from 5
  • Press the Volume - button until 4.2 Version appears followed by the software version
  • Press the Power button to exit the menu.

Have there also been any changes in your WiFi system since this has occured?

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2020

Many thanks for getting back to me.

The firmware version is: 25.0.0.46176.384411.

I confirm that no changes have been made to the Wifi system and that Wifi is working correctly.

Many thanks

Highlighted

Thank you for finding that information, @Ianhickinson.

Does your WiFi have two separate networks - one fo 2.4G and one for 5G? If so, which one is your SoundTouch 20 currently connected to?

Also, how far from your WiFi router is your speaker placed?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2020

I have 2 networks and I have tried connecting to both 2.4G and 5G at different times but still same thing happens, I have also tried a different router with just 2.4G and again same thing happens

Router is approximately 6 meters from speaker and shows maximum reception

Many thanks

Highlighted

Ian, have you tried factory resetting the speaker then tried starting fresh? 

On a SoundTouch 20, you need to press and hold the preset 1 and Vol- buttons on the top of the speaker for around 10 seconds or until the countdown on the display is complete. 

Once reset, please try to set the speaker up as new, then check to confirm if the issue persists. 

Please let me know if this helps you. 

Thanks,

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

May 9, 2020

Thanks again for getting back.

I have tried a factory reset and set up as a new speaker but Wifi still dropping after about 24 hours

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Ianhickinson. Thanks for the additional information. I'd like to clarify - how do you recognize that the speaker has dropped connection, or disconnected from Wi-Fi? 

On the front of the speaker is a Wi-Fi LED. When this is solid bright white, or solid dim white in color, the speaker is currently connected to Wi-Fi. Does your LED change to flashing white or solid/flashing amber in color? Alternatively, do you receive any error messages within the SoundTouch app? When you are having difficulties, what happens if you try to initiate a speaker preset, by pressing one of the numbered preset buttons on the top of the speaker - do you see any messages on the speaker display?

I'd love to isolate if the issues that you're currently experiencing are the speaker physically disconnecting from your home's Wi-Fi network, or instead are having difficulties with the speaker being located via the SoundTouch app. The more detail that you can provide, the more accurate information that we can provide you with. Hope to hear from you soon.