rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

@Vicky_W wrote:

I would like to assure all members of our Community that support for your SoundTouch products is going to continue running alongside support for Smart Home. We have no plans to halt support for SoundTouch, and although we do not have a time frame at the moment for integration with SoundTouch, please keep an eye on our community as we will post updates when we have more information.

Thank you all for your patience. 

Kind Regards,

Vicky W

I am patiently waiting for Airplay to arrive on SoundTouch even though I use Airport Express and have been for the past couple years. Adding to my wait lists, Samsung and Apple announced Airplay 2 and iTunes Movies and TV for late model Samsung 4K TVs. For me that will mean I can drop Apple TV and Airport boxes, clearing the clutter of old tech. 

Samsung and Apple say Spring so I wait. I am accepting that there are many pieces to the whole Airplay and now iTunes services rollout. Maybe it will be Christmas in July!

Highlighted
spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I received a marketing e-mail from Bose this week highlighting the differences between Soundtouch and their new Smart Home line of speakers.  There was absolutely NO mention of Airplay for Soundtouch, though it was listed for the Smart Home line.  Despite the constant assurances on these forums, it is definitely beginning to feel like Airplay is NEVER coming to Soundtouch and that the Soundtouch line is being sent out for obsolesence.  I feel misled by Bose when I made the Soundtouch purchase in August of 2018.

Yanno
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 17, 2019

Hi Bose

I’m fed with Bose. You’ve lost out on over £1000 of my money because you lied to us.

Gone Sony for my new headphones and Sonos for my TV and home hifi.

I’ve got a SoundTouch 20 going if anyone wants it? 😉

I’m currently AirPlay 2 all over my Sonos house now....yes!!!
DJDavidD
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 8, 2018

I agree. I have 3 SoundTouch 10 speakers, a Soundbar 300 and Subwoofer. Hey Bose, you can replace them all, give me my money back, replace with the equivalent in Sonos or upgrade the software in the next 2 weeks... which is it going to be?
fjpj2000
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 4, 2015

I keep hearing Bose say they will support Soundtouch, but I don't  hear Bose say they will continue to develope the Soundtouch line. I think the Soundtouch product is excellent and merrits continued development for use with home automation.  Samsung seems to limiting functionality with Airplay 2.  Why can't bose do the same and maintain the integrity of the systems they built.

sam234
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 20, 2019

I highly doubt Bose is actually working on AirPlay 2 for soundtouch. I’m a software developer myself and know that if this was something they were actually working on it would have been done at least a year ago. To me it’s obvious this is a very low priority for them and they don’t have any software engineers working on this at all right now.
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@fjpj2000 wrote:

I keep hearing Bose say they will support Soundtouch, but I don't  hear Bose say they will continue to develope the Soundtouch line. I think the Soundtouch product is excellent and merrits continued development for use with home automation. 

Bose has been very clear they do not plan on any further development of the line. They will continue to sell and support the SoundTouch and add Airplay. I beleive this is because of the size of the user base. Any voice automation enhancements are beyond the intended design of the speakers except for Aux input.

Samsung seems to limiting functionality with Airplay 2.  Why can't bose do the same and maintain the integrity of the systems they built.

Could you elaborate...I haven’t seen any limitations on the Samsung version of Airplay. iTunes on the other hand seems to be missing some parts to it’s aggregation capability, in Canada anyway. For example there are four news shows previewed but when the icons are clicked, nothing happens.

DB11
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 8, 2019

Agree. I just bought my first Sonos, a Play gen 2. Really happy with it. Works well with my HomePod.
tvquang09
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 11, 2018

Where is AirPlay 2? You just released another update for SoundTouch, but no AirPlay 2?!? Please make Airplay 2 as your first priority and keep your promise.

Hi Tvquang09, 

Thanks for your post and patience regarding this. 

We understand your frustration regarding this and can only apologize for the delay. 

We would like to assure you that we are diligently working on getting Airplay 2 added to our SoundTouch products and will update the community as soon as we know more about this, I am sorry that I don't have any further information about this at this moment in time.

Kind Regards, 

Hector B