jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Question for the audiophiles...I just got a free subscription to Apple Music yesterday from Verizon.  I'm enjoying streaming from my iPhone 6S Plus to my Bose Soundtouch 300 with sub and rear surrounds via bluetooth.  I don't have any other Bose speakers and don't need AirPlay.

While the sound quality is very good, my understanding is bluetooth leaves something to be desired.  Is that correct?  Also, if I were to purchase an Apple TV 4K device and plug that into my Bose Soundtouch 300 HDMI in, would the sound quality be any different if streaming from my iPhone to the Apple TV?  I don't see how it could be because it's still bluetooth from the iPhone to the Apple TV, but I don't know.

Please advise.  Thanks.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

OK, I obviously don't know anything about AirPlay.  However, if I purchase an Apple TV and plug it into my Bose Soundtouch 300, does that mean, even though I am using an iPhone, the actual music is transmitted via WIFI, thus higher quality than bluetooth?

Highlighted
spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

I tried using Bluetooth with my SoundTouch 300 and found that the speaker would lose connection to my phone/iPad sporadically, especially if I tried walking around the room with the source device in my hand (and I live in a small house, so distance shouldn’t have been an issue). 

The difference in audio quality (and the reason I’ve been demanding AirPlay integration) has to do with 1 thing: compression. Bluetooth compresses the audio during transmission, which degrades audio quality. AirPlay transmits with no compression, resulting in better sound. 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I have had no problems maintaining bluetooth connection, but my iPhone is about 12 feet away from the Bose and not moving around the room.

Will the Bose Soundtouch 300 actually sound significantly better with AirPlay vs bluetooth?  I'm tempted to purchase an Apple TV 4K tomorrow from Best Buy to give it a try.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

OK, I obviously don't know anything about AirPlay.  However, if I purchase an Apple TV and plug it into my Bose Soundtouch 300, does that mean, even though I am using an iPhone, the actual music is transmitted via WIFI, thus higher quality than bluetooth?

Here are some articles about Bluetooth and Airplay and will answer your question about how the network magic works: 

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/difference-between-airplay-bluetooth

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/what-is-bluetooth

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/en/blog/airplay

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I have a pair of Sennheiser RS 175 headphones plugged into my LG OLED optical out.  I normally use them when watching TV late at night when the wife is asleep.  I think I'll purchase an Apple TV 4K tomorrow and plug it into an unused HDMI in on my TV.  This way, I can send my Apple Music from my iPhone to the TV.  Then it will go to the Bose Soundtouch 300 via HDMI ARC and to the Sennheiser RS 175 headphones via optical.  We'll see if this is significantly better than bluetooth to the Bose 300.

EDIT:  Thanks Rick.  The thing I was forgetting is that my iPhone is also connected to my WIFI network.  So, with Airplay, there is no bluetooth involved.  Everything is WIFI.  Definitely going to purchase an Apple TV tomorrow.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jimgfitz wrote:

I have had no problems maintaining bluetooth connection, but my iPhone is about 12 feet away from the Bose and not moving around the room.

Will the Bose Soundtouch 300 actually sound significantly better with AirPlay vs bluetooth?  I'm tempted to purchase an Apple TV 4K tomorrow from Best Buy to give it a try.

@jimgfitz 

I have a fair bit of experience with Apple Music, Airplay, BlueTooth, Airport Express, Apple TV and of course Bose SoundTouch speakers and headphones. If have found Airplay and Bluetooth to both sound pretty good.

I use Airplay to connect my SoundTouch gear and Apple Music with the assistance of Apple hardware like Apple TV and Airport Express. This works really well and sounds very good.

With Airplay 2 I now have good multiroom sound using an iOS device as the controller. Of note...I had multiroom audio with older versions of Airplay using my Mac devices and Bose has multiroom built in to SoundTouch. All of this is pretty seamless over wifi.

Bluetooth on the other hand sounds pretty good these days. Consider... the high quality Bose headphones that rely on Bluetooth. I beleive SoundTouch can also do multiroom using Bluetooth.

Something Bluetooth devices won’t do on their own is multiroom - yet. I think two other draw backs for Bluetooth is range and system alerts, like incoming emails or phone calls, that can be heard when using a blue tooth device like a phone or tablet. This is a big negative for the standard.

Technically Airplay has better specs and can transmit Audio in lossless. Bluetooth apparently not. 

I think an audition is the best way to figure out what you think of as to the audio quality of the two wireless standards.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

OK, one more question.  Before I purchase an Apple TV to stream Apple Music, why not just switch to Spotify and use the Soundtouch app to stream Spotify to my Bose Soundtouch 300?

Headybow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

You can use soundtouch app to play Spotify but why don’t you have the best of both world over Apple TV to play both Spotify and Apple Music. In order words, by using Apple TV, you are not limited to just Spotify but Apple TV as well. Thanks
Mojojojo0
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 28, 2019

But still, requires you to have your tv turned on. Not a solution, more a patch-up job.