Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Noisy Narrator

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

One other "off-topic" comment I'll add since we've discussed this issue this far.  When listening to music from my new Apple TV to LG TV to Bose Soundtouch 300, if I don't want to see the Apple TV screen saver (which is beautiful by the way), a few clicks of my LG remote can blacken the screen.  It's under Settings - All Settings - Energy Saving - Screen Off.  To turn screen back on, press any key on remote.

Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

One other "off-topic" comment I'll add since we've discussed this issue this far.  When listening to music from my new Apple TV to LG TV to Bose Soundtouch 300, if I don't want to see the Apple TV screen saver (which is beautiful by the way), a few clicks of my LG remote can blacken the screen.  It's under Settings - All Settings - Energy Saving - Screen Off.  To turn screen back on, press any key on remote.

Airplay 2 was more of an upgrade to enable iOS products(iPhone and iPad) to work as multiroom controllers. macOS devices had the capability in iTunes for some time. The feature worked similarly as Bose Play All. Airport Express enabled the Bose smart speakers quite nicely, no screen burn in to worry about. Apple TV only works on soundbars bringing in the screen complication.

Using your screen saver option is smart. I have read OLED is prone to “burn in” like plasma. LED not so much.

Building in Airplay to Bose SoundTouch speakers and sound bars alike, will eliminate a lot of the hardware concerns. For me if all goes well I will probably have a few Apple router devices for sale on the very second market. They are getting pretty dated. 

BTW: Airplay is working very well on my Samsung TV. I haven’t turned on my ATV(2) for iTunes movie rentals or Airplay since the update. I look forward to the same functionality in the Bose SoundTouch line.

Noisy Narrator

I programmed my Logitech Harmony 880 remote to Play Digital Music.  The push of one button turns on Apple TV, Bose Soundtouch 300, and LG TV.  It then puts  LG TV on proper HDMI input and lands me on the Apple TV home page.  Push Off and it returns the LG TV to the HDMI input for U-Verse TV, then shuts down everything.  I love the Harmony 880 remote.

Noisy Narrator

By the way, I figured out why my earlier attempt at programming the Harmony 880 didn't work.  I was getting unwanted music from somewhere that I couldn't stop.  Turns out, I had set the Bose input as Soundtouch.  This time, I correctly set the Bose input as TV.  It now works perfectly with the Harmony 880.

As a PS and to get back on topic, I'm loving my Bose Soundtouch 300 and free Apple Music, thanks to Verizon.  I don't have multiple Soundtouch devices, but I would suggest anyone who does and is tired of waiting for Bose to implement AirPlay 2 on Soundtouch, get yourself an Apple TV 4K and start enjoying your multi-room speakers again.  Life is too short to be frustrated by owning something that won't work as you would like.

Quiet Contributor

So I’m confused, this thread seems to have gone off the rails a bit. Did Bose release an update for SoundTouch to support AirPlay 2?
Strident Supporter

No they have not. And I doubt they ever will. 

Noisy Narrator

I think they will eventually get this done.  But, that's just a guess on my part.  

Friendly Fanatic

As all traces of Bose promesing AirPlay and/or Apple Music has been removed from all officiellt Bose web sites. I sincerely doubt it Will ever come.

It’s a bit like what they did in the sovjet during the cold war... when they were so far behind they could not catch up to the 5year plan they erased all traces of it and pretended they never aimed for it...

Likewise we will probably soon be informed about the fact that AirPlay was never a promise, they just looked into it and decided it was no improvement and noone even wanted to have it...

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic

I think you can add the fact that people on this forum have received refunds from Bose as further evidence that AirPlay isn’t going to happen. Personally, I wasn’t interested in a refund because of the hassle of sending back the soundbar, sub, rear speakers, stands, etc. I was able to get Bose to exchange my SoundTouch 300 for a Soundbar 500, giving me the promised AirPlay functionality. Yes, I lost DTS but I rarely watch movies (mostly TV or listening to music), so DTS was lower on my priority list. 

Bose has treated their customers very poorly through this process,  but at least they are finally trying to make it right now (or so it seems). I guess only time will tell if this goodwill has any staying power. 

Noisy Narrator

And I know I sound like a broken record, but if you have a Bose Soundtouch 300 and multiple Bose Soundtouch devices, just get an Apple TV 4K and all will be good.