Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Strident Supporter

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

@jimgfitz wrote:

And I know I sound like a broken record, but if you have a Bose Soundtouch 300 and multiple Bose Soundtouch devices, just get an Apple TV 4K and all will be good.

How will all be ok. You have to turn on the TV and turn on the Apple TV. And then you have to leave them on so all will work.

How about we get Airplay 2 so I can just send from my device without turning all that on. That is getting airplay 2 implemented properly. Some trhing I don't thnk will ever happen on a soundtouch prouduct. 

But bose has some new hardware that works. 

Noisy Narrator

You answered your own question.  If you have a Bose Soundtouch 300 and other Soundtouch devices, and if you think Bose will NEVER implement AirPlay 2, then what are your options?

1. You can keep what you have and do without AirPlay 2.

2. You can get rid of what you have and purchase something else.

3. You can purchase an Apple TV 4K.

With CEC, you only need to turn on one device.  I also have a Harmony 880 that does all the source switching as well.  The Apple TV screen saver comes on in 2 minutes.  If you want to blacken the screen, it's a couple clicks of the remote, depending on your TV.

I chose option 3 and I don't even have any other Soundtouch devices.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.  The Apple TV 4K works great with Apple Music also.  There is no reason to involve your iPhone.

Noisy Narrator

@mpf541 wrote:

@jimgfitz wrote:

And I know I sound like a broken record, but if you have a Bose Soundtouch 300 and multiple Bose Soundtouch devices, just get an Apple TV 4K and all will be good.

How will all be ok. You have to turn on the TV and turn on the Apple TV. And then you have to leave them on so all will work.

How about we get Airplay 2 so I can just send from my device without turning all that on. That is getting airplay 2 implemented properly. Some trhing I don't thnk will ever happen on a soundtouch prouduct. 

But bose has some new hardware that works. 

I have been using Apple routers(Express and Apple TV) as adjuncts to get Airplay into SoundTouch components as suggested by @jimgfitzsuggests, for years. I even have a TV that dishes up Airplay for my Cinemate 130. All of which works very well but there is always an extra device to turn on as @mpf541 points outs. Ideally having Airplay baked right into the Bose speakers would be best. So here’s hoping!

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

If Apple could add AirPlay 2 funtionality to thier recently discontinued 2nd Generation AirPort Express that came out in 2012, after they stopped manufactuing them, there's got to be no reason they couldn't add this functionality to thier SoundTouch line. BOSE!!!!!!!!! Ugh!

Noisy Narrator

That may or may not be true.  Apple is Apple.  Bose is not Apple.  These are totally different operating systems.  Maybe there is some huge hurdle that Bose can't get over.

Audible Advocate

I talked to Bose Soundtouch department and was assured the the update was coming apparently it has the same chip as what’s in there new products. I think it comes down to license fees. I would love Bose to just step up already and push it out or a release date. Cmon already
Noisy Narrator

It's the same hardware with a different operating system and a different name.

Audible Advocate

Quiet Contributor

Just spoke to Bose customer services and explained how disappointed I was with Soundtouch (takes ages to find speakers, airplay 2 promised two years ago, new non-compatible smart home range, features slowly being removed with software updates).  Generally I really like Soundtouch but definitely feel like Bose has let us down.  

Support said they couldn't offer refunds or exchanges but that the airplay 2 functionality is coming "some day" and that the problem is with Apple, not Bose.  It sounded like an excuse and like many others on here I'm skeptical.

Sorry to finally do it but I've started to migrate to Sonos and the multi-room works so much better.  Plus loads more feature on the app and Alexa works so much better with it.

Noisy Narrator

@Jeuvie wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/Bose/photos/a.183215393397/10155308733673398/?type=3&theater

a promise is a promise...

That Facebook post is dated 6/5/17.

PS: I can't believe it took me this long to see that big black box in the top right corner of the reply that says "Quote."