mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

i am sure by now Bose has forgot they promised it.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@mpf541 wrote:

I don't think they forgot.  They want you to forget.

Highlighted
Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

@Xyz987 wrote:

@mpf541 wrote:

I don't think they forgot.  They want you to forget.

I won't forget.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

This morning I signed up for a 3 month free trial of Spotify to compare to Apple Music.  I'm listening now using my iPhone and AirPlay 2 with my Bose Soundtouch 300 and Apple TV 4K.  Both Apple Music and Spotify work with CarPlay.  I'm switching my Verizon plan back to my grandfathered unlimited plan so Apple Music will no long be free at the end of my 6 month trial.  If I'm going to pay $9.99 per month, I might as well make sure I get the streaming service I like best.

mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

At least you have a choice. Not like certian companies that promise it but fail to deliver.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

This morning I signed up for a 3 month free trial of Spotify to compare to Apple Music.  I'm listening now using my iPhone and AirPlay 2 with my Bose Soundtouch 300 and Apple TV 4K.  Both Apple Music and Spotify work with CarPlay.  I'm switching my Verizon plan back to my grandfathered unlimited plan so Apple Music will no long be free at the end of my 6 month trial.  If I'm going to pay $9.99 per month, I might as well make sure I get the streaming service I like best.

@Xyz987 

If you are subscribed to Spotify now, can you access it directly through the SoundTouch app?

Also I you want to do a comparison, you can do a trial with Tidal and stream via your Apple TV. That will give you an idea what the hi - res files from Tidal sound like because Airplay will carry the hi- res audio files without degradation.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

I listened to Spotify all day.  Most of the time was via AirPlay 2, then I added Spotify to my Soundtouch app, but I didn't listen long enough to tell if there was a difference.

We're leaving Friday for 3 weeks vacation.  When we get back, I'll give Tidal a try.  I thought I read that Apple TV 4K would not do lossless audio.  Maybe I'm confused about that.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

I listened to Spotify all day.  Most of the time was via AirPlay 2, then I added Spotify to my Soundtouch app, but I didn't listen long enough to tell if there was a difference.

We're leaving Friday for 3 weeks vacation.  When we get back, I'll give Tidal a try.  I thought I read that Apple TV 4K would not do lossless audio.  Maybe I'm confused about that.

Late model iPhones and Apple TV 4K support Flac. Airplay streams using Apple Lossless (ALAC). Apparently there is some wizardry involved when Apple hardware handles Flac files over Airplay. But it is all still lossless.

Give the music services all a try, I did and in the end, my passion for Apple and convenience won out. I run all Apple including Apple Music, Airport Express(great DAC) and iTunes on iPhone and iMac. The only piece missing is HomePod...I still prefer Bose for Audio.

Have a great holiday. I just got back from 2 weeks in Newfoundland and Labrador. They sure love their music there!

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Thanks.  I'm also not sure my iPhone 6S Plus supports lossless music files.  I read somewhere you need iPhone 7 or higher, but that was an article from 2 years ago.  My iPhone is on IOS 12.3.1

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Xyz987 wrote:

Thanks.  I'm also not sure my iPhone 6S Plus supports lossless music files.  I read somewhere you need iPhone 7 or higher, but that was an article from 2 years ago.  My iPhone is on IOS 12.3.1

I believe you are correct. IPhone 7 or newer.