Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Noisy Narrator

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

I just discovered my Oppo 203 DVD can stream flac files from Tidal.  I downloaded an Oppo Media Control app onto my iPhone and am able to stream music from my iPhone to the Oppo which is then HDMI out to the LG TV then HDMI to the Bose Soundtouch 300. 

So, I guess if I really want to do this, it might be time to upgrade my iPhone 6S Plus.  Maybe not??  I bought my wife an iPhone X, but probably shouldn't ask her to trade.

Noisy Narrator

@jimgfitz wrote:

I just discovered my Oppo 203 DVD can stream flac files from Tidal.  I downloaded an Oppo Media Control app onto my iPhone and am able to stream music from my iPhone to the Oppo which is then HDMI out to the LG TV then HDMI to the Bose Soundtouch 300. 

So, I guess if I really want to do this, it might be time to upgrade my iPhone 6S Plus.  Maybe not??  I bought my wife an iPhone X, but probably shouldn't ask her to trade.

@jimgfitz 

When you get back from holidays I would be interested in your experiences and testing with Hi Res audio, Tidal, Oppo and ATV comparison. Perhaps over in the Lounge, so the moderators don’t get on to us.

Getting back to your original question, If the audio file is larger and less chopped (compressed)by encoding, whatever stream or hardwired connection you choose, the SoundTouch 300 will do it justice. I have no doubt in that.  I listen to Smoothjazz.com out of Monterey California. They now offer a 320Kbps mp3 stream and it sounds great on my SoundTouch gear.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

@rickatk wrote:

@jimgfitz wrote:

@jimgfitz 

When you get back from holidays I would be interested in your experiences and testing with Hi Res audio, Tidal, Oppo and ATV comparison. Perhaps over in the Lounge, so the moderators don’t get on to us.

Getting back to your original question, If the audio file is larger and less chopped (compressed)by encoding, whatever stream or hardwired connection you choose, the SoundTouch 300 will do it justice. I have no doubt in that.  I listen to Smoothjazz.com out of Monterey California. They now offer a 320Kbps mp3 stream and it sounds great on my SoundTouch gear.

What does this have to do with AirPlay 2? We can get audio from our iPhones onto the SoundTouch. I want AirPlay 2 functionality as they promised for the following reasons:

1. The ability to turn on the speaker from any app that allows AirPlay. I don't want to have to open the Soundtouch App to turn the speaker on then set up a bluetooth connection.

2. Siri. I want to be able to ask Siri on my iPhone, HomePod, Apple TV, etc to play the music on the SoundTouch. This will turn the speaker on and begin to play the audio without all the extra steps. This will also allow for multi-room audio.

Noisy Narrator

I have AirPlay 2 for use with my Bose Soundtouch 300, don't you?

Noisy Narrator

>What does this have to do with AirPlay 2?

The question was about hi res audio. By extension Airplay is one way to get Hi-Res audio files into SoundTouch , if you have the right accessories. Indeed having Airplay 2 added to SoundTouch will add additional functionality using Siri etc. But Airplay is also a good way to play hires files on SoundTouch.
Apologies if we have strayed too far off the Airplay topic.
Audible Advocate

Are you sure?
Quiet Contributor

It saddens me that nearly 12 months from the date I foolishy purchased Bose soundtouch without doing my home work properly that absolutley nothing has changed!

Still empty promises from Bose without any apparent care for what their customers think and I'm stuck with a AUD$1,000 system that does not do what the store sales person imformed was a matter of a mere couple of weeks away from being available.

Although I accept other forum members suggesting work arounds such as Apple TV are only trying to help the reasons I went with bose were

1) Reptuation for quality speakers ...... OK I can tick that box quality wise I'm very happy.

2) Airplay 2 direct from my iPhone and NOT via having to leave my Mac on or have a NAS running or go out and buy more equipment as a workaround.

And so for me the whole purchase has been akin to flushing the dollars down the drain.

Why can't Bose just give us an esstimate of when it will be ready ? Reputation wise you may do some good and frankly have nothing to loose if you don't hit the date.

Noisy Narrator

There probably is no date.  Either they have no idea or don't want to say it will never happen.  Here's how I recommend you think about it.  The money you already spent is sunk cost.  You could sell the Bose for maybe 50 percent of what you paid, or you could purchase an Apple TV 4K for $200 US or less if you get the 32 GB.  For that price, you will have a system that you love.

Quiet Contributor

@jimgfitz wrote:
For that price, you will have a system that you love.

Your suggestion may be a pragmatic view but I would not have a system "I love" I would have a workaround involving yet another power brick and yet more cables, I can assure you it would only serve as a reminder of how poorly Bose have treated soundtouch owners who brought their equipment on the promise of Airplay 2 support.

In the absence of any real update from Bose I am just going to take the cash hit on getting rid of my soundtouch system and Buy Sonos instead, thereafter I have no intention of keeping my personal views of Bose to myself for anyone interested in hearing them!

Noisy Narrator

So, how long are you going to stew about it waiting for Bose to solve this issue? What's it been, over two years already?