Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Quiet Contributor

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

@jimgfitz wrote:

So, how long are you going to stew about it waiting for Bose to solve this issue? What's it been, over two years already?

I'm not going to stew about it at all and I have already stated what I intend to do about it.

I waited patiently for nearly 12 months during which time Bose continued to state "its coming" and now I have simply lost confidence in them doing so.

I posted here simply to add my voice to the very many who feel let down by Bose.

Noisy Narrator

I'm not one to wait around and be frustrated.  I would either do whatever it takes to make it work to my satisfaction or get rid of it and get something that does.  If I didn't want to purchase an Apple TV (which I did), I think I would try a Sonos system.  If I liked the Sonos, my Bose would be on eBay.  Life is too short to be frustrated over such as this.

Noisy Narrator

2) Airplay 2 direct from my iPhone and NOT via having to leave my Mac on or have a NAS running or go out and buy more equipment as a workaround.

And so for me the whole purchase has been akin to flushing the dollars down the drain.

@richjn 

If you purchased your SoundTouch gear on the promise of Airplay then yes, you have a complaint with Bose. Bose has promised Airplay since 2017. Airplay is limited though. Even with Airplay installed on SoundTouch gear you would still have to have your macOS or iOS device on and connected in order to use Apple Music. Bose never promised Apple Music which is a different technology all together. 

Which is is too bad. Apple Music on SoundTouch, along side Spotify and some other services like Tidal would make for a knock out speaker product.

Noisy Narrator

@richjn wrote:

@jimgfitz wrote:
For that price, you will have a system that you love.

Your suggestion may be a pragmatic view but I would not have a system "I love" I would have a workaround involving yet another power brick and yet more cables, I can assure you it would only serve as a reminder of how poorly Bose have treated soundtouch owners who brought their equipment on the promise of Airplay 2 support.

Since SoundTouch series 3 was released, Airplay has not been an included feature. Back then Airplay was inferior to SoundTouch multiroom and Airplay 2 hadn’t even been heard of. Yes there has been much discussion, speculation and promises that Airplay 2 will be available on SoundTouch. That remains to be seen.

Adding an Apple TV or even an AirPort Express to gain the Airplay feature is still the best way to go as @jimgfitz and I am sure others can attest. I certainly don’t consider using those devices any less of a strategy.

People have had varied results over the years with Airplay, when baked into other products. Even now, I have been using Airplay via my Samsung TV with mixed results. Airplay itself works fine but the Apple TV(app) is half baked. The iTunes rental piece seems to work fine, providing HDR and DD 5.1 movie titles. However there is no Atmos for a variety of reasons least of which Samsung doesn’t play through Atmos on their TVs yet. More importantly, the aggregation feature, which is a cornerstone of the Apple TV app, doesn’t work at all. Having an Apple TV addresses all of those short comings.

I remain guarded about the notion that Apple, Bose and Samsung et - al will get this right and these wonderful features will become common place. But there are no guarantees. After all Apple could yank or Bose could drop Airplay again in a couple years for something as simple as licensing disputes. 

My point is that at this time, having a black(or white) Apple box attached to Bose gear is still the most reliable way to bring Apple media features into Bose products. I for one won’t be selling my gear and buying Sonos or Yamaha because Airplay is not built into my Bose gear. I think Bose has the competitors beat in style, build quality and most importantly sound.

Highlighted
Animated Arbiter

I called BOSE and after a brief hold, the representative told me that the project had not been cancelled and they are still planning on releasing the AirPlay 2 fuctionality to the SoundTouch line. No timeline was given, but he assured me that if they weren't working on it, the project would show as cancelled in thier system.

Noisy Narrator

Good luck with that.

Silent Starter

Can we get an updated statement? Timeline? Anymore information?
Friendly Fanatic

You have got no chance in getting anything from Bose unless you want to buy anything from them. 

Im just going to post negative feedback on all their social media. Someone might start to listen if you prevent new buyers from purchasing. 

Friendly Fanatic

You have got no chance in getting anything from Bose unless you want to buy anything from them. 

Im just going to post negative feedback on all their social media. Someone might start to listen if you prevent new buyers from purchasing.

Audible Advocate

I must admit I'm now starting to get frustrated! My account, here, may only be two years old but I'm a Bose custiomer since 1979. Apple, Bose and Sony have been my goto brands my entire audult life!

Leon McKee