Plasmanut
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Scott L.:

First of all, I hope you’re right. 

Second, I’m not sure how “Apple’s software” can be a hurdle when Bose Home Speaker series has Airplay 2 and Sonos already has it as well. 

Third, If Ikea speakers end up supporting AirPlay 2 before Bose SoundTouch does, I think I’m going to open up a can of whoopass. 

Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

@Plasmanut wrote:

Scott L.:

First of all, I hope you’re right. 

Second, I’m not sure how “Apple’s software” can be a hurdle when Bose Home Speaker series has Airplay 2 and Sonos already has it as well. 

Third, If Ikea speakers end up supporting AirPlay 2 before Bose SoundTouch does, I think I’m going to open up a can of whoopass. 

I hope I am right too. LOL. I think they might be able to implement AirPlay 2 on these newer systems with less dificulty because the chipsets were designed with modern architecture that makes it easier to implement. While it's probably still possible to run on older chipsets, they might have to write more code to have it operate on the older chipsets. This is all speculation.C'mon BOSE! Make us happy in August!!!

Plasmanut
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Well, to the question “Will we ever see AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch”, the answer is: not on August 1, thanks to a firmware update that still dodges the promise made by Bose a lllloooonnngggg time ago. Remember this before buying another Bose product. 

lukejr
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Feb 25, 2017

Have been waiting years for AirPlay support, so hopefully you’re right and we’ll get it this month...

Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

I've lost all faith. 😞 Goodbye BOSE.

Corvet04
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

Well I have been a proud customer from Bose for long time, but this update has take so long and never has been clear and my patient and wait is over, I'm moving to Sonos and selling all my Bose.

adamkroger
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 1, 2018

Buy a Samsung. The change controls and production support for these products aren’t enough to justify the premium prices. 

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Jamie, I can't figure out what your response means. 

If what you mean is that Bose SoundTouch models which have bluetooth capability can receive input from devices sending over Airplay 2, that's just wrong. In order for my iphone to send from Apple Music to my Wave radio, I have to go to Setting & connect via bluetooth. If Airplay2 were an option, the Wave would show up in Music as a device I can link to. But it doesn't. 

But I sense that you mean something else - can you clarify?

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@hdow wrote:

Jamie, I can't figure out what your response means. 

If what you mean is that Bose SoundTouch models which have bluetooth capability can receive input from devices sending over Airplay 2, that's just wrong. In order for my iphone to send from Apple Music to my Wave radio, I have to go to Setting & connect via bluetooth. If Airplay2 were an option, the Wave would show up in Music as a device I can link to. But it doesn't. 

But I sense that you mean something else - can you clarify?

Bose SoundTouch (series 3) with BlueTooth have been targeted for the Airplay upgrade. I don’t think the Airplay 2 feature is reliant on Bluetooth however. Series 3 with BlueTooth is a model identifier only.

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@lukejr wrote:

Have been waiting years for AirPlay support, so hopefully you’re right and we’ll get it this month...

Airplay 2 comes in a variety of flavours. I access Airplay 2 on my SoundTouch Speakers using very reliable and good sounding Airport Express routers. I used to access Airplay via an Apple TV (series 3) connected to my Cinemate 130. Again, worked like a charm. Now, just to keep things interesting, I access Airplay 2 using my Samsung 8000 Series TV connected to my Cinemate 130...go figure! I for one can’t complain. I am getting incredible mileage out of my SoundTouch purchases from sources I never thought would be possible. 

None of the preceding is intended to diminish the obvious demand for built in Airplay 2 for the SoundTouch line. Going forward all these peripherals will become obsolete if Apple stays true to their projected trajectory.  That is, offering their services like built in Airplay, and Apple TV app to manufacturers willing to implement them.  Hopefully Bose will come through and include Airplay 2 for SoundTouch and all future lines.