Bach-Holst
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Aug 19, 2019

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

The day Apple allows Siri to control spotify and include it in the HomePod, or BOSE implement's Airplay 2. What ever comes first, will determine if my BOSE products go out the window. 

eugeneviv
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

Bose mods, I understand you can't disclose anything specific, but is there any progress? Any hope AirPlay 2 will be released soon for SoundTouch speakers? Is there reason to believe SoundTouch isn't totally abandoned? Bose even still sells the $4000 Lifestyle 650 (Soundtouch) system and customers need a meaningful update of some kind. 

Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

@eugeneviv wrote:

Bose mods, I understand you can't disclose anything specific, but is there any progress? Any hope AirPlay 2 will be released soon for SoundTouch speakers? Is there reason to believe SoundTouch isn't totally abandoned? Bose even still sells the $4000 Lifestyle 650 (Soundtouch) system and customers need a meaningful update of some kind. 

I'm one of those "suckers" who owns the Lifestyle 650 that was promised AirPlay 2.

philippe_lroy
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

“By the end of August” is upon us ! Any news? Anyone got a working update or something? 

Highlighted
Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

This update should come from Bose. However, and I don’t know if everyone has noticed, Bose mods have abandoned any thread with the AirPlay mention. 

This has me worried...

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@Plasmanut wrote:

This update should come from Bose. However, and I don’t know if everyone has noticed, Bose mods have abandoned any thread with the AirPlay mention. 

This has me worried...

There's no need to worry.  It's probably not going to happen.  Make other arrangements.

Peter143
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 23, 2017

B7D8EB21-63E1-47F5-9BA2-73DEABB35C18.png

Got this response from Bose on Facebook today, June 2017 they announced Airplay 2, so it’s going to be spectacular when it arrives having had over 2 year to develop this feature 

Jereld
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

To be honest, I think we should just give up with Bose, or specifically, with SoundTouch.  That's what I did, and I couldn't be hapier.  I still love my Bose QC35's and Sleep Pods, but for smart home audio, Bose was left behind a long time ago.  Keep in mind SoundTouch is now a legacy product, and has been replaced with the Smart Home line.  Sure they are continuing to offer support, and are trickling out the updates for now, but it's only a matter of time.

I am selling all of my ST devices to some neighbors for cheap, and have instead moved onto the Google ecosystem.  For me, that ecosystem works much better.  For others, Homepods, Alexa's, or Sonos will work better.  I can't think of any scenario where I would recommend SoundTouch over one of those other 4 brands.

Specifically, on the topic of AirPlay 2.  We all know that we have been waiting for this for years now.  The problem is that if/when ST gets AirPlay 2 support, AirPlay 3 will be a thing, and you will be back in the same cycle. 

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

If Airplay 3 becomes a thing, that doesn't stop Airplay 2 from doing everything is does today.  Why do some people think that if they don't always have the latest and greatest, what they do have sucks.  I guess those are the people who trade for a new car every year.

Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Well, now I’m encouraged. Deep down, I want to believe that Bose would have ripped off the Band Aid and said they’re no longer planning for AirPlay 2 since they have had so much time to figure it out.

As much as we talk about all these things and other brands, there’s one thing that Bose still does better than its competitors: sound.