Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Exactly. Boss needs to do what every reputable manufacturer has already done and include AirPlay 2 functionality as promised 2 years ago. And Bose owes its customers the courtesy of providing a timeline.  Using the Airport Express example, I’m sure a lot of us could have made an informed decision to either buy one or wait 18 months ago if we had known  at least approximately how long it would take. This is the infuriating part. Imagine the flip scenario: buy an Airport Express today and 2 weeks later, the update shows up. 

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Plasmanut wrote:

Exactly. Boss needs to do what every reputable manufacturer has already done and include AirPlay 2 functionality as promised 2 years ago. And Bose owes its customers the courtesy of providing a timeline.  Using the Airport Express example, I’m sure a lot of us could have made an informed decision to either buy one or wait 18 months ago if we had known  at least approximately how long it would take. This is the infuriating part. Imagine the flip scenario: buy an Airport Express today and 2 weeks later, the update shows up. 

Imagine the scenario that Bose announces they won’t be adding Airplay to SoundTouch! All that time waiting...Frankly, Airplay for SoundTouch is vapourware until it is actually implemented.

For me I was fortunate as I chose to add Airport Express to my SoundTouch gear to connect iTunes from my Mac. I was a loyal Apple product user so I was already invested in Apple, iTunes and Airplay. I have been using Airport Express since the days of “AirTunes.” Actually I am quite disappointed Apple got out of the wifi router game because their routers worked so well. Airport Express has been a great product.

I have been preaching Airport Express for some time now. The prospect of Airplay 2 showing up, after purchasing and Airport Express, is very real. This is the consumers dillema and Bose could help in that area by providing a clear timeline. This is where Bose falls down damaging their reputation along the way. However purchasing an AirPort Express assures Airplay and Apple Music for your SoundTouch gear right now. Which beats getting frustrated and disappointed waiting on Bose.

Also, Bose SoundTouch multiroom with Airport Express plugged into the Aux port of one SoundTouch speaker works very well. Better that Airplay2.

I still beleive getting Airplay to work on SoundTouch is difficult and wonder if it will ever be released or ever work properly.  

As an aside, I found Airplay 2(iOS) was a little sketchy since its release in December. Last week I couldn’t get my iPad to connect to my Airport Express. Only my Mac would work. So I flashed up Airport Utility, low and behold an update was waiting. I installed the update to my Airport Express(s) and was back in business. Hope the iOS version of Airplay2 will work a little better now. 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

At some point in time, people need to realize that Airplay 2 on Soundtouch may never happen.  How long are you going to wait and complain that you don't have Airplay?  If you really want/need it, take matters into your own hands and solve the issue, one way or another.  If it was going to happen, don't you think it would have by now?

Highlighted
Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

@jimgfitz wrote:

At some point in time, people need to realize that Airplay 2 on Soundtouch may never happen.  How long are you going to wait and complain that you don't have Airplay?  If you really want/need it, take matters into your own hands and solve the issue, one way or another.  If it was going to happen, don't you think it would have by now?

It's one thing to announce a product, then the product doesn't make it to market. It's another thing for the product to make it to market, the compnay announces the feature, the sales people in the store sell you on the feature, then it never materializes and the company does absolutely nothing about it. I feel like I was scammed–because I was! I wouldn't have spent the money on these products if they hadn't announced AirPlay 2. Link: Apple Music in every room, plus Siri. SoundTouch with AirPlay 2 coming soon. #WWDC2017

Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

In other news today, Braun is "re-launching" their line of speakers, with, you guessed it.... AirPlay 2. 

https://9to5mac.com/2019/09/06/braun-speakers/

Sigh....

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

Face it. Airplay2 on Bose SoundTouch is vaporware.

I've almost come to the conclusion that Bose wants to force ST owners to either stay in the ST ecosystem, or upgrade to their new line of speakers. Because if Bose were to put Airplay2 on their ST speakers, it would make it easier for us to buy from the Airplay2 enabled competition, & control all our speakers through Airplay2. But then I think: "if that were the case, the smart move would have been to make their new line of speakers backwards compatible with ST speakers."

Heck, that would have been the smart move anyway, because it would lure ST customers into buying the new speakers. As it stands, what motivation do I have to ever buy a Bose speaker again? ST speakers will gradually be phased out from support, so why buy those? And why buy the new Bose speakers, if they aren't backwards compatible, and given the AP2 vaporware experience? The obvious move is to migrate to Sonos or Homepod over the next few years. 

So I just don't get it...

As it stands, if you want to integrate other companies' speakers, or receivers, into a single system with Bose ST speakers, one workaround is to buy the Bose Link. And that's what I've done. My 2017 Yamaha receiver & associated 1973 Sansui speakers have a Link, and my 2014 B&O speakers do as well. 

This really works quite well, except that the integration with Apple Music (& Spotify) in the ST app is half vast. The ST app doesn't play nicely with my AM playlists - doesn't pick all of them up, and sometimes keeps phantom playlists (ones I have deleted.) And to make the integration with AM work at all, you have to download to your computer everything you want to listen to in ST since ST's AM link doesn't seem to be able to recognize files stored only in the cloud. 

Basically  I have a couple of workarounds for getting AM to play properly on all my speakers.

One is to first establish a connection between AM on my iphone and a Bluetooth enabled ST speaker. Then I can usually link that speaker to my other speakers using the ST app. The problem with this is that I have to stay in range of the intial BT speaker with my iphone. (Escept now that I think about it, I might be able to just leave my iphone near the input speaker, & control everything on my Apple watch from other parts of the house. Hmm...)

The other is to use Rogue Amoeba's Airfoil app on my iMac, which allows me to link everything that has Airplay1 or BT capability. The problem with this is that I can only select my music from my iMac. But it works pretty well with playlists. (I wish Rogue Amoeba would make an iPhone verson of Airfoil...)

So that's my Airplay "2 cents"...

jgy204
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 26, 2017

Truly feel your pain.   I gave up waiting after issue after issue with Bose’s pitiful ST app.  I sold each and every one of my ST speakers at a loss and moved to Sonos.  I could not be happier!  

I certainly hope that airplay 2 comes out for people still on the ST bandwagon.  But this is sounding more and more like Apples announcement of AirPower 🙂

MJ
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 19, 2017

I’ve finally sold my Bose ST speakers as well after struggling many times and in different order with:

- multi room not working

- speakers not available in the app

- app not working

- the SoundTouch adapter continuously disconnecting from Lifestyle system

- endless wait for airplay 2

Bose seriously has to grab their act together and majorly increase their software and validation processes. I’ve feld like a beta tester for many years. Now bought a B&O system instead en hey guess what Chromecast, Bluetooth and AirPlay 2 (yeah!) available just out of the box. And most important: It. Just. Works. 

I strongly recommend to stop waiting and just buy something else. Life’s too short for this nonsense...

wagyk
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

you right !!

mcgrathj
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jun 25, 2019

....all this and still no comment form Bose, other than we are wroking on it and will advise in the future. Bose Admin - can we get better answer or at least be told if this has been abandoned?