wagyk
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 5, 2017

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Bose is dead.... his marketing is dead

...his ingénieur is dead... his products is dead.... 

SoundTouch is dead .... his forum is dead....

i can buy the company for 1 dollars !!

hahahahaha

Rubberbands
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 4, 2019

Hey, I felt exactly the same, really loved Bose for many years, bought 3x ST10's and an ST20 last year. I was immediately disappointed with the approach to grouping (each session FFS!), sound drop outs, that terrible, clunky app and the lack of decent Spotify / Alexa integration.

Also, the support has been awful hasn't it?! I mean this thread, what a joke!

Having seen the new Amazon Echo Studio and improved Echo are on the way I decided to sell up (Sept 19). I really didn't want to be lumped with that lot which I'm sure are going to really reduce in value over the next few months! I lost out on around £300 from new, but seen as the cost on the new Echo's is very competitive I don't feel I've lost much at all!

My advice, sell off quick before these guys start having to do the same!

Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

The worst thing is Bose is still selling SoundTouch speakers, which are years behind the times as far as firmware and software. What a monumental disappointment. I bought a year ago and I regret it so much. Six SoundTouch 10 speakers and they’re collecting dust because every time I want to get the m going it takes me 15 minutes to connect and group everything. I can tell you my wife and kids gave up a long time ago. For them, it’s as if there’s no multi room audio in the house. I ALMOST pulled the trigger on Sonos speakers at the time and boy what a mistake. 

Highlighted
jgy204
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 26, 2017

Can't believe Bose has strung everyone along for so long!  I have sold all of my soundtouch speakers(1xST300, 4xST10,1xST20, and 1xST30) monts ago and jumped on the Sonos bandwagon.    Now i enjoy multiroom audio the way it was meant to be:

1) Stable (some dropouts 1 out of 20 times)

2) Persistant grouping

3) Stable app - no dissapearing speakers, etc

4) More and better features (airplay, more services)

5) Even the Sonos beam has been more stable in it's HDMI ARC connectivity than the ST300.  I had the VI 300s with my ST300 and they were a waste of money as well!

Bose - it's time to put everyone out of their agony and put this vaporware to rest.  Give your loyal customers(I used to be one) refunds/upgrades to your latest Bose line.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@jgy204 wrote:

Can't believe Bose has strung everyone along for so long!  I have sold all of my soundtouch speakers(1xST300, 4xST10,1xST20, and 1xST30) monts ago and jumped on the Sonos bandwagon.    Now i enjoy multiroom audio the way it was meant to be:

1) Stable (some dropouts 1 out of 20 times)

2) Persistant grouping

3) Stable app - no dissapearing speakers, etc

4) More and better features (airplay, more services)

5) Even the Sonos beam has been more stable in it's HDMI ARC connectivity than the ST300.  I had the VI 300s with my ST300 and they were a waste of money as well!

Bose - it's time to put everyone out of their agony and put this vaporware to rest.  Give your loyal customers(I used to be one) refunds/upgrades to your latest Bose line.

I am still enjoying my Bose gear:

2 ST30s

1 ST10

1 Cinemate 130 with SoundTouch adaptor

2 Solo speaker decks and a bunch of other old school wired Bose speakers.

Everything works and sounds great!

Time marches on and my gear is now a few years old. SoundTouch is still supported but has been replaced with newer Smart Speaker line which offers some new features like voice control. Certainly not enough to justify a total upgrade.

I feel I have gotten maximum use out of my SoundTouch gear. My speakers are connected with Airport Express routers for Airplay and Apple Music. Bose multiroom actually works better than Airplay 2 and now all that is really needed is one AE router.

My trusty Cinemate 130 is now connected to my Samsung TV using ARC. The TV produces HDR video via a host of apps. The ARC connection results in great sound. As a result I don't have to worry about upgrading cables and playback peripherals to get 4K. 4K HDR looks great and HDMI ARC sound produces the best results on my current setup. I think ARC/ HDMI sounds better than optical. On the CEC side my gear works in good harmony with my other peripherals like an older Apple TV, cable box and BlueRay disk player. None of which I really use much anymore because of the Samsung TV and it’s integrated apps including the Apple TV app. I am looking forward to my Cable provider pushing out a new 4K box and wireless satellite terminals. Live TV, on Demand and PVR is still in demand in my household.

The downside of network connected speakers means eventually I will be upgrading a number of speakers at once but in the meantime I am very happy with what I have and look forward to years of continued use. I have looked at other products from time to time but I find myself remaining quite satisfied with my Bose products. Bose product upgrades have been quite incremental with minimal enhancements like voice control.

Some users have seen fit to sell of their gear for reasons I don’t quite understand. I see much dissatisfaction around unstable networks and lack of Airplay. I make my posts with the view that not everybody is dissatisfied with their Bose purchases and not everybody is experiencing these problems. Any problems that do arise have been quickly resolved with updates or the assistance of moderators on this forum. In short not everyone is dissatisfied with their Bose gear!

That is not to say there isn’t room for improvement. Bose is now faced with Apple dropping XML thereby rendering iTunes libraries useless on Bose gear, in addition to the lack of Airplay, further reducing enjoyment for Apple users. This might be a good time for Bose to add Apple Music to the SoundTouch and Smart Speaker services lineup.

DerGute
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

Im also a victim.

Meanwhile Bose got some attention by a serious Blog in Germany:

https://stadt-bremerhaven.de/bose-soundtouch-und-airplay-2-weiterhin-ohne-termin/

It really cant be Bose. Think about your PR Marketing. In my eyes thats not serious. Almost every company with proper public relationship announces an trusty ETA.

Mkosharkii
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 14, 2019

6/6/2017: SoundTouch with AirPlay 2 coming soon....

Bose, I’ve waited patiently for over two years only to see the same canned responses every time someone asks about new developments. As a direct result of your inaction, a month ago, I went on an eBay Bose selling spree, selling my SoundTouch 30 Series III, two Revolve Pluses, QC35s, and my barely used NC700s.

I haven’t even replaced any of them yet. I haven’t decided what brand to go with. I was just so infuriated with this situation that I decided it was time to jump ship entirely after 15+ years of loyalty. It’s exceedingly unlikely that I’ll ever consider purchasing another Bose product in the future.

Gangi
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 2, 2019

We will never See airplay2 on soundtouch. They lied to us, the dont even answer the questions in this post

Jereld
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 24, 2016

@rickatk wrote:

Some users have seen fit to sell of their gear for reasons I don’t quite understand. I see much dissatisfaction around unstable networks and lack of Airplay. I make my posts with the view that not everybody is dissatisfied with their Bose purchases and not everybody is experiencing these problems. Any problems that do arise have been quickly resolved with updates or the assistance of moderators on this forum. In short not everyone is dissatisfied with their Bose gear!

I am really down on Soundtouch, but I am genuinely happy for you that your gear is still working.  Truth be told, my ST gear still worked when I sold it.  I don't think the issue for a lot of people is that their stuff has stopped working.  It's that in recent years other companies have emerged that are arguably outpacing Bose at every turn (including sound), for significantly less money.  It is really hard to defend your investment, or any future investments, when there are better options for less.  

While your experience has been good, all it takes is a glance at this thread to see why people are not happy.  Some are upset because of AirPlay 2, others are upset due to Bose's overall approach to customer communications, and the confusing and disastrous Smart Speaker launch.  While others are just upset that their investment has been outpaced by the competition.  It's hyperbolic - but also probably true - to say that thousands of ST owners are leaving Bose and not looking back back.  So while your experience has been good, realize that you are in the minority here.

mstrathmore
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

Couldn't agree more with this post. 

The reality is that many people's anger (including my own) stems from the fact that they were actually very brand-positive about Bose and have been disappointed by not only how Bose seems to have lost its way but also by how shockingly badly Bose have handled the communications.

As I said in an earlier post, I've seen this before - at Nokia (in fact I worked there, so can speak from personal experience) - where a company had an absolutely dominant market position but their inability to bring innovation to market in the face of an excellent competitor, combined with incredible arrogance toward consumers, conspired against them. The rest is history.

Mark.