Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

And you will get it just as soon as you go out and buy some newer hardware. Did they forget to mention that?

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 5, 2020

I have a Bose SoundTouch 20.

This is a good Wi-Fi speaker for a beginner only if you bought this on Black Friday hot deal.

But If I add more speakers for multi-room, that will be Sonos One because it supports Airplay2 and Tidal. So do other people, I believe.

If Bose want to compete with Sonos, Libratone, or Yamaha in this multi-room wifi speaker market, It is essential to add Airplay2 and other streamings to SoundTouch app.

Highlighted
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@WiFi wrote:

I have a Bose SoundTouch 20.

This is a good Wi-Fi speaker for a beginner only if you bought this on Black Friday hot deal.

But If I add more speakers for multi-room, that will be Sonos One because it supports Airplay2 and Tidal. So do other people, I believe.

If Bose want to compete with Sonos, Libratone, or Yamaha in this multi-room wifi speaker market, It is essential to add Airplay2 and other streamings to SoundTouch app.

I found that Bose SoundTouch multiroom is actually better than Airplay for multiroom. I have experimented with SoundTouch multiroom and Airplay over AUX input and found Bose multiroom more stable and synchronized. If you have invested in one SoundTouch speaker and like it and you want to get more speakers for multiroom, SoundTouch would be a good choice.

Mixing in the Airplay option is a different feature and issue.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

The end of 2019 was the last official update for when we would see Airplay 2 support land, as 2019 is over I think its time for Bose to give us an update.

The last firmware update showed a presence of Airplay 2 components which gave me some hope we may actually see Airplay 2 support soon, I very much hope this is the case but good news or bad I believe everyone who has been waiting on this deserves to hear something.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 16, 2017

@richjn would you happen to have some examples of the Airplay 2 components in the last firmware update? I'm hoping there is a future for this.

Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

Hello folks,

Wow, I can't believe how long - literally years - it was that subject stayed alive!

Becuase I was a Bose brand admirer, and had so many Bose products, I was active, engaged (and at times militant!) on this forum. I do feel that Bose has lost its way, though, and this is evidenced by how poorly they have dealt with the SoundTouch / Airplay issue, the Sleepbuds debacle, and the complete mis-timing of their completely wireless noise cancelling earphones. 

Ultimately, the Airplay issue, and Bose's shocking abandonment of their Soundtouch client base, provided the impetus for me to look at other systems, and I settled on Sonos. I can honestly say that it is a brilliant system, and unless you are wedded emotionaly to Bose, it is worth checking out. I just didn't feel like Bose were truly interested in their core consumers anymore.

Similarly, I have started using a pair of Apple's AirPods Pro, and I am astounded how good they are, given they are a first generation noise cancelling product. I still have wired Bose QC20i's for my wife and I when we fly (and hence need to plug in to the aircraft system), but when I was shopping for the Airpods I actually took my Bose QC20 to the Apple store and listened to the two products in the same environment, with the same phone and the same music track. Simply amazing how good the Airpods are. When you factor in their size, convenience and ease of use compared to the QC20i's, it's a clear win. I will say that the QC20i's are still marginally better at noise cancellation, but all in all it's a fair tradeoff for me. The point of the story is that if Bose had a product in this category I would have bought it.

Similarly, I now own several Sonos devices (Beam, sub, several Ones and One SLs) - I would have gladly stuck with Bose had there been something that worked with my SoundTouch. Stupidly, Bose largely forced its customers to have a clean break and therefore to "kick the tyres" of other systems. Not clever. 

In any case, for me the saga is over and I'm going to stop monitoring this thread - my hope is that for those who stick with SoundTouch, there is ultimately some reward in receiving AirPlay 2 before we get to Airplay3!

Cheers and good luck!

Mark.

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 28, 2019

@eugeneviv The last firmware update (23.0.12) announcement @ post message 8 mentions it but there also other threads including one where a forum member enabled it although at that point it was unusable apparently.

Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

The problem is mentioning something means nothing other than Bose supposedly trying and including traces or clues of something does nothing until it’s actually enabled and pushed out to customers. For all we know, Bose could be seeding the code with artifacts that make it appear like AirPlay2 is being worked on. 

On the other hand, we COULD be a lot closer than we were 18 months ago, but bottom line is AirPlay2 isn’t here and Bose is dragging its feet. 

This is just like the old “the cheque is in the mail” scenario. 

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 19, 2017

Official news from Bose--the update is coming in Feb-20!  Link Below.

Like many, I have been waiting and following this in two threads (so I am posting this message in both threads).  I have considered competitors such as Sonos, but am so happy I can keep my existing equipment.  I enjoy the bose sound/hardware, they just need to work on the software side.  Keep it up!

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/Airplay-2-on-SoundTouch-Speakers-Update/td-p/26614...

Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 21, 2015

That's great news! Now I know I can go ahead and sell mine.