mstrathmore
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 2, 2016

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

I've also been a "Bose Everything" guy for a long time, but my plan is to sell my SoundTouch items next week and convert to Sonos. I've also be watching the responses on the forums re Airplay 2 (but also on other topics) and it really just seems that Bose has this infuriating generic reply to everything innovation focussed that says "something is coming, but we're not sure when".

I've watched Bose make some of the most confounding decisions, like build wireless noise cancelling headphones ... that you can't use on a plane... and the SoundTouch hard break to the new Soundbar / smartspeaker products. Essentially Bose have not only given their customers a decision point to go and look at competitive offerings, they have literally forced them to. 

It's a real pity to see the way Bose is treating their brand advocates, but if there's one thing I learned from a previous company I worked for - Nokia - it is that if your product strategy folks don't pay absolute attention to the types of messages seen on this forum, you wind up being read about in the corporate obituary.

Mark.

Akdyson
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 18, 2019

Had an update from Bose today probably common knowledge now but I want to understand how it works. All sound touch devices with Bluetooth will be supported with airplay 2.

How do other devices such as Sonos, Siri homehub etc Work with airplay 2? Is this all Bluetooth as well or through a Wi-Fi connection. As I feel a Bluetooth connection for airplay 2 isn’t going to be very effective? Does this mean all my Bose devices need to be connected to my phone constantly? Will this work over voice command or am I going to be constantly fiddling around manually connecting to these devices just so I can tell Siri to play something ?!
Thoughts??

I also asked the question about airplay 2 release date, they still don’t know, still being told first part of this year.

So so disappointed.
Andy
jamie.heyward
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 1, 2017

Hi Andy,

Yes the models that have Bluetooth will support Airplay 2 (they do not connect using Bluetooth, it's just an identifier for the level of the tech in the hardware).

Airplay 2 devices, however, communicate over WIFI so you do/will not have to have elements connected to your phone over Bluetooth.

cristianowsky
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Mar 22, 2019

Todas las bocinas pueden conectarse por airplay 2 menos la soundtouch 30, bose porque no hacen esa actualizacion, sto mejoraria la experiencia, ya ni la minilink2 se conecta a todos los dispositivos por bluetooth y esta apenas y si se conecta al ultimo dispositivo, mejoren porfavor eso agregen airplay 2  

jq371
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

Yeah - Bose is on the nose ! I’ve replaced two st10 with HomePod and will replace my sound bar in a couple of years when I’m due to upgrade.
Never Bose again ! Even if they made the absolute most superior products in the world (which they don’t) I’d still never buy Bose again just due to the way they treat their customers.
A very disappointing company.
VBK
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 17, 2019

ellenich
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 9, 2019

NOPE! This is for the newer Smart system- NOT for Sound Touch series. Super dissipointing. Of corse they just want you to pay more money to upgrade to the newer product AFTER promising AirPlay 2 support. Just lame Bose.

mpf541
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Oct 5, 2014

they won't give us a tape cassete. That would be an improvement over what we have now

Mikek
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 29, 2017

It seems completely logical, that they release it first for their newest product which people actually bought with the promise, that it will support Airplay 2. On the other hand we bought our Soundtouch products with no such promise. We should be only grateful that we get the support eventually. Not all manufacturers add new functions to their older products. Actually it is quite rare.

jq371
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Oct 20, 2017

And for those of us that bought these products after Bose announced they would be getting this upgrade last year? People have bought these products thinking airplay 2 would be in an update, and they announced this update before announcing their new line of products, other wise people might have waited for the new products.