cornily@gmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 16, 2019

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

Hi,

Despite  Sound is great,

They also don't care about old buyers,

about adding airplay2, what most venders do now

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Plasmanut wrote:

Well, now I’m encouraged. Deep down, I want to believe that Bose would have ripped off the Band Aid and said they’re no longer planning for AirPlay 2 since they have had so much time to figure it out.

As much as we talk about all these things and other brands, there’s one thing that Bose still does better than its competitors: sound. 

Apple went through a similar excercise with wireless charging. After a few announcements purporting the arrival of wireless charging, Apple pulled the plug on the project and sent a notice out advising customers accordingly. Bose hasn’t gotten to that point and still appears to be heading along the Airplay 2 path for SoundTouch. 

For those who like the SoundTouch products but would like Airplay functionality now, Airport Express is still available on eBay and Amazon. Apple TV is also available through regular sales channels. Both are great solutions for accessing Apple Music. I have used Airport Express to receive music streams all the way back to iTunes on my Mac. The streaming is flawless and sounds great!

Mojojojo0
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 28, 2019

They’re not solutions though, they’re work-arounds. 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

@Mojojojo0 wrote:

No, they are solutions that don't rely on the Bose Soundtouch 300 to have Airplay 2.  Do you want Airplay 2 or not?

spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

@jimgfitz wrote:

No, they are solutions that don't rely on the Bose Soundtouch 300 to have Airplay 2.  Do you want Airplay 2 or not?

I want AirPlay for a specific use case which your work-around (and it is a work-around until AirPlay is natively supported on the devices): watching something on TV with different audio playing on the soundbar.

I often watch football or baseball games with music playing through my soundbar from Apple Music (I hate sports announcers).  With your work-around of using the Apple TV, I cannot do this since I can't switch the audio input on the soundbar.  I have tried bluetooth for this but have issues with audio cut-outs.  Bose blames my iPad and Apple blames the soundbar. 

I'm sure there are other use cases which will be addressed with native AirPlay support which are not addressed with your work-around.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Plug the Apple TV into the Bose HDMI in.  Use Soundtouch app to activate the Bose HDMI in port and assign a button on the Bose remote to switch to it.  Don't use bluetooth for music.  It sounds terrible.

spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

And then when I want to watch something using Apple TV, I’d have to plug the Apple TV HDMI back to the TV. Too much hassle. 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

No, video would travel to the TV via your HDMI ARC connection.  You would simply switch your TV to HDMI ARC source.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Mojojojo0 wrote:

Have to disagree...like the SoundTouch Adaptor, Airport Express adds a feature set not contained in an component or powered speaker. In my case, I have been using using a SoundTouch Adaptor on my Cinemate 130 for a few years now. This adaptor brings SoundTouch functionality and BlueTooth to an otherwise dumb speaker bar. Airport Express brings Airplay and AppleMusic functionality to my SoundTouch 30 (series 3) in much the same way. Again I have been using that setup for many years and it proved to be more stable than my previous SoundTouch (series 1) and other brands with built in Airplay.

Airport Express is hardly what I would consider a “work around.” Which is why I strongly and continuously recommend Airport Express to people who would really like to have Apple Music on their SoundTouch products - now!

spudohio
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

My TV’s ARC input only supports 4K @ 30 Hz.  I’m not giving up picture quality for something Bose told me would be implemented within 3 months of my purchase. Besides, all of my equipment is wall-mounted and taking it apart for this is not an easy task. 

Bottom line - Bose needs to provide this functionality to its customers who have been waiting for far too long.