jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

No, you can't get a better answer and no, it has not been abandoned.

How long could this take?  After a while, you have to conclude it's not going to happen for one reason or another.  I think we are well past that point.  It only took NASA 8 years to put a man on the moon and bring him home safely.

Robanderson 249
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Well I’ve started to flood their social media posts with poor service, broken promises posts. All they care about is new business. Why don’t we all do it. If we affect their new business they may think twice. 

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Personally, I think there is some technical or other reason why it can't be done.  Of course, I have no inside information, but if it could be done, seems to me it would have been done, long ago.

dantaco
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Regardless of the reason, Bose has no accountability for their mistake. Other than a few posts from employees on this forum, there has been nothing except for random conciliatory offers of a 15% discount on a newer soundbar, still without Airplay.  Numerous customers (maybe 100's or thousands?) have been forced to spend their money elsewhere and sell their soundtouch. Still...no public statements, no accountability. Bluesound had a problem with thier hardware not supporting Airplay 2 despite promising support. They owned up to it, admitted the mistake, and offered trades/refunds/exchanges for a short period of time. 

Bose is based in Massachusetts. MA small claims courts award triple damages on Consumer Protection cases...hint hint.

jimgfitz
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Bose accountability will be measured in market share.  People who want Airplay 2 will buy products with ... Airplay 2 or add Airplay 2 devices to what they already have.

hdow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 20, 2017

I tried to take your suggestion concerning Airport Express, & learned that for the older square ones, at least, you can't update them to work with the current Mac OS. You need a Mac running an older OS to be able to run the specific flavor of Airport Utility (5.6.1) that will do the trick. The only place I could find that flavor was at https://bristleconeit.com/product/launcher-for-airport-utility-v5-6-1/  (I have a hunch that if I take my AE down to an Apple Store they might be able to update it for me.)

I'm interested in trying out your solution, though, & have a line on a later AE model that I might be able to connect to. If I understand it, your solution would enable me to have an Airplay network allowing me to patch in the ST speakers via the AE while using my non-Bose Airplay-enabled speakers at the same time. We'll see...

But at a minimum, your solution would enable me to use my entire Apple Music library, including the Apple Music files stored only in the cloud, which connecting Apple Music via the internal ST menu doesn't permit, and control the playback from my iMac or my iPhone.

So it occured to me that I could accomplish much the same minimum solution by hardwiring an ST speaker directly to my iMac, & controling the playback through the Apple Remote app. And indeed, I can. 

So thanks for the suggestion!

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@hdow wrote:

I tried to take your suggestion concerning Airport Express, & learned that for the older square ones, at least, you can't update them to work with the current Mac OS.

1. I suggest getting a more recent version of Airport Express.

2. If you connect the Airport Express to your SoundTouch Speaker (series 3) you can use the Aux Input Rebroadcast feature to stream to your other ST speakers.

3. If you are planning on using non ST speakers, then you will have to use additional adaptors such as the SoundTouch adaptor to join your speaker to the network.

4. Apple has closed the door on building speaker networks using Airport Express...shame really. There are still Airport Express’s available on line and Bose still offers the ability using the SoundTouch adaptor.

5. I am not familiar with the wifi app you linked to, but I prefer to stay with original equipment and software. Much more dependable.

6. Using an up to date Airport Express combined with your Sound Touch Speakers will give you full access to Apple Music.

Corvet04
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 10, 2019

I think this will be a big loss for Bose if they don't have this working on sound touch, I have a couple of sa-5 amps, I think if they abandon this sound touch systems it will be painful to us and them since the most popular speaker they do are this ones, I purchase Sonos play 5 for the aux option, but you need the speaker on a network to be able to activate the port tru the app and this sucks, because in some ocations I use my sound touch 30 aux and don't need to use the app for nothing , this make me unfortunately stay with Bose but if Sonos fix this, I will be gone to Sonos, since they have apple airplay 2 and they are more stable on any envioroment. 
Bose please fix this airplay 2 I know this needs to be fix since it will help all the sound touch speakers and amps and then they can compete with other competitors.

Plasmanut
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

October (and the last trimester of 2019) is right around the corner. Yet, no word on AirPlay 2 for SoundTouch. This is becoming ridiculous. Bose, you should know by now whether or not this is technically possible. You have an obligation to tell customers who bought these products based on the promise of AirPlay 2 what is going on. 

Do the right thing, or like we say in these parts, s*** or get off the pot. 

wieland@degrendel.eu
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 20, 2018

Hi

some while ago I wrote a positive response on Bose and Soundtouch. 

As I wrote, Bose told me that I could buy my 6th soundtouch. I have ST's everywhere in my house.

Today - still waiting for AP2.

Every workaround will never be good enough. It should just work on ST.

In general I can do whatever I need. Sometimes (PLEX) I just want to airplay throug everything.

And yes I have an airplay/bluetooth devices mix. But just not good enough.

That said.

Bose? What are you doing. Please share. This is not the way.

Does anyone has an email adress of the CEO? Maybe we have to level up.

because we asked, and they did not hear us loud and clear. Maybe they wear there newbie noise canceling headphones?

Maybe we should all like the comment on this post. I did.

thank you.