g0002
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jul 18, 2018

Re: Will we ever see the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch?

I am intrigued too. I’m in the camp that believes that Bose will deliver airplay 2 to the SoundTouch line. I have the ST300, the sub, and surrounds, as well as a ST 10 and 20. I believe in your Bose!!!
A
LeeMcCullar
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 1, 2019

I, of course, want to be optimistic. There have been some long term, unfulfilled promises; but I can be swayed by some action on Bose’s part.

rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@g0002 wrote:
I am intrigued too. I’m in the camp that believes that Bose will deliver airplay 2 to the SoundTouch line. I have the ST300, the sub, and surrounds, as well as a ST 10 and 20. I believe in your Bose!!!
A

I am glad to see I am not the only one who is happy with Bose SoundTouch products. I am sure there are many others, some who probably don’t even care about Airplay. I chose the SoundTouch line when Aiprlay had been dropped and there was no promise of future airplay implementation. Airplay did not support multiroom, something Bose required for its systems. I chose to spend a little extra by investing in Airport Express to get Airplay to work on my Bose SoundTouch gear and work it does.

I have no reason to think Bose won’t implement Airplay 2 into its SoundTouch line. If not...shame on Bose only because of a potential broken promise . In the meantime I continue to enjoy my SoundTouch gear and ironically can now even play Apple Music through my Samsung TV using Airplay now. Go figure!

To all those people thinking about selling off their SoundTouch speakers...rather than losing a bunch of money selling off really good sounding gear consider:

1. BlueTooth(not great)

2. Purchase an AirPort Express 

3. Switch to Spotify if Deezer or Sirius isn’t doing it for you

4. Be patient...won’t be much longer.

I don’t profess to know why Bose has taken so long to get Airplay on to SoundTouch but I think it has something to do with Apple’s development of the utility especially lately which all their recent announcements about services. Apple has definitely pivoted where it’s own proprietory strategies are comcerned. This has likely had an effect on Bose’s Airplay implementation.

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

I don't think it has anything to do with Apple.  Bose clearly already has everything it needs from Apple to implement Airplay 2, evidenced by the fact that they have in fact implemented Airplay 2 already for the Home Speaker line.  Like I wrote in a previous post, Bose has supposedly been working on Airplay 2 for SoundTouch since before they even announced the Home Speaker line, so it seems like a matter of priorities.  SoundTouch is old news and customers of its products are being treated like 2nd class citizens.  

But to me, my dissatisfaction with Bose goes beyond AirPlay 2.  Sure, it would be really nice to have, but maybe not essential.  I doubt it really matters much to those who don't use Apple products. 

What's been happening, in my opinion, is that Bose has gotten everyone so focused on Airplay 2 for the last 2+ years, and how great it must be, that they've been able to use it as a distraction and mostly cease all other development for SoundTouch.  Meanwhile, its not as if there aren't missing, very basic features, a general lack of music services compared to the competition, ongoing issues for a lot of people in terms of the app reliably finding the speakers, etc.  Bottom line, there's a lot of other stuff they could have done since they announced Airplay 2 support but, in fact, that announcement basically marked the beginning of the end of doing everything else they should have been doing - since then, they've gotten even slower than they were when it comes to adding new features, new music services and fixing issues, and have pretty much stopped.

jgy204
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 26, 2017

I am one of the few (or many at this point). That have sold every single SoundTouch product I had. I still get updates on this thread since I have replied earlier.

Totally agree with your points below. Bose simply promised something and got their foots a bind for failing to deliver on airplay 2. What’s worse is that they have failed even to offer basic functionality improvements to their rest of the SoundTouch line. You can smell the fate of the SoundTouch brand from a mile away at this point.
Plasmanut
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Apr 16, 2019

Marty K, I agree with everything you’re saying. I think that if and when we receive the AirPlay 2 update for SoundTouch, our collective focus will quickly turn to other, perhaps more pressing issues. For me, being so invested in the Apple ecosystem, this would be the lack of integration with Apple Music in the Bose app. 

Having said this, the issue you’re raising with respect to development and support for “aging” products or platforms is pervasive throughout the entire consumer electronics industry. Hardware is still king, because that’s where companies see not only their main source of revenue, but the chance to deliver the next killer feature that will give them an edge over the competition. 

From the software / firmware perspective, the problem begins when a product matrix expands. Updates don’t translate into dollars (some might say they actually cannibalize sales), and for that reason mainly, it’s tough to make the business case for huge teams of engineers supporting and enhancing older products forever. 

Finding the sweet spot is never an exact science and those decisions inevitably alienate customers. In this case, I think we all agree that Bose is stranding SoundTouch users on an island too soon. My current weekly Best Buy flyer (Canada) features several SoundTouch products. And given the promises Bose has been making repeatedly, I still believe we will ultimately get AirPlay 2. Not a moment too soon. 

Marty K.
Wistful Whiz
Registered since

Jan 9, 2016

Plasmanut:  I too agree with what you are saying.  I certainly hope Airplay 2 is, in fact, coming.  A lot of frusteration is due in no small part, I think, to Bose's unwillingness to have clear and open communications with customers.  And yeah, new hardware drives revenue so its not unexpected or unreasonable for a company to focus a lot of its efforts there and not so much on old hardware. 

The problem, I think, is that consumers now accept companies releasing unfinished products with the implied promise of future updates to remedy any issues or to add missing features.  And if the company is unwilling to devote the necessary resources to do that, then ultimately the customer gets short changed (and has little or no remedy) while the company drives revenue and saves development costs by releasing generation after generation of products that they never finish.  IMHO, Bose is guilty of this with SoundTouch, will probably ultimately be guilty of this with the new Home Speaker products, but they are far from the only company doing this. 

And its not really acceptable for a company to come back and tell us that they don't need to fix or finish the incomplete product they sold us because enough years have passed and they're ready to move on to the next revenue generating piece of hardware.  I mean, imagine we tried to give Bose the same deal they've given us - imagine Bose offered an installment plan for SoundTouch speakers where I pay for them over the course of several years, but after a while I decide to stop paying the installments because there's new and better hardware on the marketplace and I am no longer interested in the old product.  Something tells me Bose would not accept that from me.

Headybow
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jan 19, 2019

I am itching to hear your news, whatever you have in store for use. As I wait patiently for your message, so I’m I waiting for AirPlay 2 on my SoundTouch. Thanks for keeping us in the hope that something good is coming, well I can only hope.
Scott L.
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Jan 22, 2018

While that is good of them to do, I was really hoping that the wait for AirPlay 2 was over. I'm going to reach out to BOSE to do the same. It's ridiculous that I bought this equipment SPECIFICALLY for the the AirPlay 2 integration.

Andy st user
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jun 2, 2019

Exactly - same here. Where as you could get a refund from Bose and go buy the Bose gear (or other) which does do it. Still has no Apple Music support which is why I begrudgingly jumped ship. However I’m very happy with choice and this is newer gear which I expect will be supported for a longer duration.

I would say the Sonos ones are far better than the 10s, but sound wise not quite on par with the 20.

All personal decisions but I wanted all to know there’s an option other than eBaying your sound touches