Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hassan1579
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2020

soundtouch 20 shows unknown when device is connected via bluetooth

Before creating a new topic, please search the Community to avoid creating duplicate threads. If you are posting about a problem, the more of the below details you can include (if applicable) the easier it will be for others to try and help. Go to https://bose.life/2K1GbJl for a helpful post on how to find relevant information, including your firmware and app version information!

Bose product name

Bose SoundTouch 20

Country

UK

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on
 MacBook Pro 16" On  Big Surr 11.0.1

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

When connected via bluetooth the display on the soundtouch 20 shows unknown 

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

4 or 5 weeks ago, it worked previously 

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Removed paired list 

11 REPLIES 11
Vicky_W

Re: soundtouch 20 shows unknown when device is connected via bluetooth

Hello Hassan1579, 

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forums. 

Just to confirm, does the system still play audio when this happens? If so, it is the laptop that sends the details over Bluetooth, so it may be that the laptop is no longer sending the audio details. Do the details appear when using a different Bluetooth audio device?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Hassan1579
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2020

Hi

Yes it does still play audio, just showing unknown on the display. But this has only recently been happening in the past it shows the correct info. When playing from my phone it is fine 

Jeff_G

Thanks for confirming, Hassan. 

Have you tried to unpair and create a new pairing? This may help resolve any pairing inconsistencies. To unpair, press and hold the Bluetooth button for around 10 seconds. Then on your smartphone go to settings > Bluetooth, then locate the speaker and unpair it. 

Please let me know if this makes a difference.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Hassan1579
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2020

Hi Thanks for getting back to me

I have tried that it makes no difference still says unknown 

Please advice 

Keith_L
Community Manager

No worries Hassan1579!

It's interesting that the information had been showing on the speaker previously when using Bluetooth from your Mac, as Windows and Mac operating systems do not transmit track information via Bluetooth audio streams. So, the Bose system and app will not show Artist or Title information. Instead, typically "Windows Audio" shows for Windows streams, and "Unknown" shows for Mac streams. So what you are experiencing with the speaker showing "Unknown" is what I would expect to happen when streaming from your Mac via Bluetooth.

Were you using Airplay to stream to the speaker previously from your Mac? With an Airplay stream from your Mac, you may get the track information showing on the speaker, depending on the source. To use Airplay to stream from your Mac to the speaker, you can follow the steps shown HERE.

I hope this helps!

Hassan1579
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2020

When using airplay via my Mac it does come up with the song details, but my internet at home is not the best so I prefer to connect to my speaker via Bluetooth which no longer shows any song info 

Sam_F

Hi Hassan1579,

Thank you for clarifying. It seems that this particular issue is only happening with the Macbook, so we should look to reset the MacBook Bluetooth module and try again. To do this:

1. Press shift + Option/Alt at the same time as you click Bluetooth in the menu bar.
  2. Click on Debug > Remove all devices.
  3. Open the menu again and click Debug > Reset the Bluetooth module.
  4. Now try and re-pair your Bluetooth devices.

Afterward, test playing music via Bluetooth using a dedicated music app such as Spotify, and let us know what you find!

Hassan1579
Participant
Registered since

Dec 6, 2020

Thanks

For getting back to me 

I have tried the actions you told me but it still showing unknown 

Sam_F

Thank you for giving that a try, sorry to hear it did not help.

Where are you streaming music from when connected via Bluetooth? Do all services show unknown on the display, or will certain media show up differently? Also, is it possible for you to connect the speaker to any other Mac or MacBook systems with the same or different iOS, to test for differences?