Tronage
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 21, 2019

soundtouch 300 losing connection to Samsung tv

Hello, 

My ST 300 keeps disconnecting from my Samsung KS 8000 TV. The tv firmware is up to date, as well as the firmware for the ST 300 and soundtouch app.  I have been using the “alternate on” cec option, and have also tried the “always on” option. I have done the 15 minute power cycle of unplugging the HDMI cable, then the tv, then the sound bar, and then re-plugging the tv, then HDMI, then sound bar, and that will fix it temporarily. Then, after turning on the tv/ soundbar to use them maybe 3 times, inevitably, the soundbar and tv lose their communication with each other. First, the sound will continue to play out of my st300, but I lose the ability to control the volume with my tv remote. Then, the next time I turn everything off/on, no sound will come out of the sound bar, and the tv does not recognize the st300 as a speaker. This has been going on for over a year, ever since I purchased the ST300. I don’t know what else to try. This is extremely frustrating and disappointing. 

More details:

-I typically turn the tv on first using the tv remote, which causes the soundbar to turn on.. should I be turning the soundbar on first using the soundbar remote? 

-I can tell when the communication has been lost as soon as I turn the tv on, if the soundbar turns on and the far-right light is lit.. that is a sign that the volume control is lost as indicated above, and the next time I turn everything on, there will be no sound.

-I have the virtually invisible rear speakers that go with the st 300. 

-I can’t use an optical cable from the tv to the soundbar instead of HDMI. I have a PS4 that is hooked up directly via optical to the st300, which needs to be set this way. I tried routing everything through the tv via optical, and there is significant delay in PS4 audio when doing this. Playing with the audio delay settings in both the tv and st 300 did not fix this, so I’m relying on HDMI cec for everything other than PS4 audio.

I am at a loss as I feel I’ve tried everything. It feels as though there is a fundamental issue in this technology. Please advise. 

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: soundtouch 300 losing connection to Samsung tv

Try connecting the sound bar using optical. Make sure the TV optical port is set to Dolby Digital. Turn off CEC. Plug in your video sources (except the Play Station) directly to HDMI. See if that works.

As far as the Play Station goes consider a different HDMI cable as part of troubleshooting afterwards. Min V 1.4. Ensure the audio setting on the PS is not set to optical when using HDMI. Audio delay issues should be adjusted between the TV and PlayStation not the SoundBar.

Highlighted
aglaeca2
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 26, 2020

I'm having a similar issue. I've gone through all of the trouble shooting steps to no avail. When I choose the receiver from my sound option list the soundbar either turns off or it flips back to TV speaker.

Highlighted
rickatk
Noisy Narrator
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@aglaeca2 wrote:

I'm having a similar issue. I've gone through all of the trouble shooting steps to no avail. When I choose the receiver from my sound option list the soundbar either turns off or it flips back to TV speaker.

Are you connected via ARC or optical.

Arc ? Check your HDMI cable and ensure CEC is on for both devices.

Optical? Make sure you are seeing a red light. Optical shouldn’t really effect your TV /Soundbar connection other than loss of sound.