Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Mute microphone

Happy user of the soundwear - though I am missing one very important functionality

- acc to the user guide (as far as I understand) - I shall mute during a call by pressing + and -

I am using it mainly as a headset during phone conferences via my PC, and muting is must have functionality - but the above does not work, when using it as a headset - am I doing something wrong or do I miss anything?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: Mute microphone

Hello ETDortmund,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I am sorry that you are having some issues with muting from your SoundWear Companion during calls. 

It is correct that you should be able to mute using the Vol + and Vol - buttons simultaneously.

Are you using standard cellular calls or VoIP services?

I'd recommend ensuring that your device is running the latest available firmware. You can do this by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer.

Please let me know if you continue to have problems with this.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Thx Charlotte for fast reply

So far I am using only VOIP services - indeed. Connecting the Soundwear as normal "Headset Microphone" and "Headset Earphone" - in the Windows settings, the vol + and minus does not mute anything.

Firmware is 3.0.3 - should be the most actual version, isn't it?

BR

Ernst

Highlighted

Hi Ernst,

Thank you for providing us with that information. The firmware 3.0.3 is the latest version so it should not be an update being needed that is causing the issue. 

Just to gather a bit more information, can you confirm whether the volume controls work when they are pressed independently on the Soundwear? Also does the mute function work when we have the Soundwear connected to a mobile device and we are using it for a call on the mobile device? And as one last bit of information what software are we using for the phone conferences on your PC?

Kind regards,

Keith L

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

How to mute/unmute Soundwear for VOIP calls

Hello,

I'm not able to mute/unmute the microphone of my SoundWear unit that was flashed with the latest firmware (Nov.2019). When I follow the documented directions and press 'Vol +' & 'Vol-' together, the message I get says "Voice prompts [off/on]". My setup is where the unit is paired to a Win10 machine and I can't mute/unmute on VOIP calls using apps like Teams, Zoom etc.

I like the unit overall but this is definitely impacting productivity. Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Highlighted

Re: How to mute/unmute Soundwear for VOIP calls

Hi MK4,

Thanks for posting, welcome!

From what you have said so far I do have a couple of questions for you, so I can get a better idea of what is happening with your speaker.

As you mentioned it being flashed with the latest firmware, was this working before you updated it? Or did you perform the update while troubleshooting?

You also mentioned that the system does tell you that the microphone is muted when you press the buttons, does it give you this voice prompt while on a VoIP call? Or is this at another time that you get this notification?

Have you tried muting the microphone while on a cell phone call, or VoIP call from another device? It would be useful to know if this was just happening with the Windows 10 machine or with all devices. If you could test that and let me know it would be really helpful!

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

Hi Keith,

To answer your questions,

• No, this function has never worked on VOIP calls, which is what led me to try re-flashing it. I just recently purchased the product so I assumed it would have the latest but it didn't when I checked so I flashed the latest.
  • No the system does NOT tell me it's muted when used with my Win10 PC (tried on multiple devices). Instead, when the vol+ & vol- buttons are pressed, what I hear is a completely different message that says "voice prompts on" or "voice prompts off". It has no impact on the state of the microphone.
  • The function DOES work when I'm paired to my phone and just making a regular phone call.

Thanks!

Hello MK4, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

As this works on your phone, I think this is a setting on the laptop that is preventing this from happening. It may be the Bluetooth configuration is not compatible with the computer. The Soundwear companion uses Bluetooth versions HFP, HSP, A2DP, AVRCP. I would suggest speaking with Microsoft and seeing if the two are compatible. 

Let us know your findings. 

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jun 8, 2020

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I don't believe there's anything wrong with all the different Win10 PCs I've tried as I'm not having issues with other wireless headsets. I also double checked the supported profiles on a Microsoft Surface Book I tried the setup on and your list is fully supported on the device and by the OS (details for Surface Book BT support available here). Note that all other controls work as expected too, including volume control during VOIP calls.

This feels like a firmware issue TBH. Seeing others post on the thread seems to confirm this problem, no?  Has anyone tested this or been successful in muting/unmuting the Soundwear using vol+ & vol- while on a VOIP call like zoom or Teams?