Periodic Audio breakdown

SOLVED
Highlighted
Silent Starter

Periodic Audio breakdown

I bought my first SoundWear this spring and initial impressions were great.  However, within my first 30 days, I expereinced a strange audio disruption regularly enough that it seemed to be a defect. 

On occasion, I would get a 'burst' of squealching audio, which would completely disrupt the conversation.  It sounded like a strange blend of squelch / static / modem noises.  It only happens during phone calls, it never happened when I was just listening to audio. 

I figured the device was defective, and exchanged it for another one as I was otherwise very pleased with the audio quality. 

This summer, the issue has persisted, on my new device.  I typically connect it to my iPhone XS Max.  When being used for audio, it's perfect.  The sound beams up and the experience is top notch. 

When I use it as a headset for calls however, it is a constant countdown.  Eventually, several times a week at least I will go from pleasant conversation to "aargh!  ow ow ow, one second" while I remove the headset and then switch my phone to speaker.  

What's happening here?  At the price point this device sells at, this should not be a thing.  I've never had any other Bluetooth headsets do this.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorJeff_G

Accepted Solutions

Re: Periodic Audio breakdown

Hello gohf,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your SoundWear Companion Speaker. This is certainly not intended behavior. 

My first recommendation would be to perform a reset. This can be done by holding the Multi-function button and Volume- buttons for 10 seconds. Once complete, the Bluetooth indicator flashes blue and a voice prompts to select a language. 

In addition to this, I would also suggest checking for any available firmware updates. This can be done by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer and following the on-screen instructions.

Once you have done this, please monitor the behavior of the speaker during calls and report back if you are still experiencing the same issue.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

2 REPLIES 2

Hello gohf,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community. 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with your SoundWear Companion Speaker. This is certainly not intended behavior. 

My first recommendation would be to perform a reset. This can be done by holding the Multi-function button and Volume- buttons for 10 seconds. Once complete, the Bluetooth indicator flashes blue and a voice prompts to select a language. 

In addition to this, I would also suggest checking for any available firmware updates. This can be done by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer and following the on-screen instructions.

Once you have done this, please monitor the behavior of the speaker during calls and report back if you are still experiencing the same issue.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Silent Starter

Thank you for suggesting the firmware update.  The device was in need of an update.  I've reset it and run the firmware updater (took several attmpts) and will report back in time with the results. Cheers!