Highlighted
KingRay
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

Sound Consistency Companion 5 Multimedia

I have an old speaker system that has served me well.  I moved this week, setup my computer system, and silly me didn't have the control pod turned up.  So, I started changing things before I realized that, and don't remember how the volume got different for various programs running on my computer, i.e., games, YouTube videos, iTunes, Office 365, and so on.  I have to turn the pod up and down, depending on what I'm listening to ... when I didn't have to do that before I moved.  Does anybody know what settings would have the sound consistent across anything I run?

My computer is running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), and no I'm not going to Windows 10 for this computer.  My laptop is running Windows 10 and I don't like it at all.  I just need to get my sound system right again!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Sound Consistency Companion 5 Multimedia

Hi @KingRay,

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been having some trouble getting the audio to the level you need for your computer speaker set up – let’s try and get this back to how it was.

It seems that you may have to look at the volume mixer on your Windows 7 system to adjust levels to how they want them to be. To do this, have at the right-hand side of the taskbar at the bottom of your computer screen. Right-click on the speaker icon and select the option for ‘Open Volume Mixer’. That'll give you options for the different levels of volume for each program you have running. Here you can adjust each to what suits you best – then you should no longer need to use the pod for increasing/decreasing volume.

Give that a try and let me know how it goes.

Warm regards,
Sam F – Community Support

KingRay
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 7, 2019

Re: Sound Consistency Companion 5 Multimedia

I already tried that, but it isn't the problem.  Let me see if I can explain more clearly.  The volume isn't the same across all my programs like before.  Examples are that sometimes, if I switch applications, the sound drops out altogether (The Sims 4).  I have a Plantronics Bluetooth that used to make a sound when I plugged it into the chord connected to my USB port; it no longer does.  I can be listening to a YouTube video at one volume, switch to Outlook 365, and the sound is lower in Outlook.  Switch to a social media platform, and hear the volume at yet another different level.  All these things didn't used to happen before I started messing around with the settings; from the one you mentioned to Control Panel Sounds to Volume Control Options to whatever else I could see with check-boxes.  I know I shouldn't have been so anxious to get sound out of my speakers, but I was dealing with a lot of things going wrong after moving; not just my Bose system.

I'm pretty good with hardware, because my career was in both hardware/software.  I just get my wires crossed sometimes with so many check-boxes and being hasty about it.  There was a reason I needed to hear sound when I needed to, but I can't remember.  Shot myself in the foot, I suppose.