Soundwear Volume Fail

SOLVED
Highlighted
Silent Starter

Soundwear Volume Fail

I recently purchased a Soundwear unit in Cape Town for the stated purpose of listening to a non-smart TV.

The TV does not have a Bluetooth transmitter.

I had purchased one and it worked, but there was no sound adjustment – the volume could not be increased sufficiently for comfortable listening.

I looked online and saw [in the advice posted by BOSE 5 months ago https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questions/bose-soundwear-companion-wireless-wearable-speaker-black/5892...] that the transmitter needed to have AVCRP support to control the volume.

I then purchased a new transmitter with AVCRP support and installed it last night.

This is the unit I purchased – as can be seen in the product specs: Bluetooth profiles: A2DP and AVRCP

https://www.takealot.com/bluetooth-2-in-1-wireless-transmitter-and-receiver/PLID41679594

On connecting with this unit I am still unable to adjust the volume.

I need help solving this problem quickly or will be forced to return the Soundwear as we are unable to use it.

I contacted Bose Cape Town and they are unable to help and say I will have to pay 15% fee to return the unit. B-((( !
I do not want to return it, I simply want it to work.

Can Bose or anyone help please?

The unit is for my 87 year old friend who has hearing difficulty and this was supposed to be a treat but is turning into a nightmare...

Thanks

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Bose Best Answer selected by ModeratorJeff_G

Accepted Solutions

Re: Soundwear Volume Fail

Hello Jmiley, 

Thanks for reaching out today. 

To be able to use the SoundWear Companion with your TV, not only will you need the transmitter to be able to support a variable audio output and not a fixed one but also TV will need to support a variable audio output to the transmitter. If this is not the case the SoundWear will not be able to change the volume when listening to TV audio. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

9 REPLIES 9
Quiet Contributor

Hello,

I recently bought the same set of headphones and am having an identical issue as you. Tried a number of AVCRP enabled devices with no luck. BOSE TECHS - what is going on here? Can we get some replies from BOSE on this one please?

Hello BillGee, jkmiley,

I would like to welcome both of you to the Bose Community and thank you for posting. 

I'm sorry to hear that you are both having difficulty with your Soundwear speaker when connected to other devices.

Have you both been able to test your Soundwear with other devices, such as your phone?

Theoretically, it should be able to connect to any device that supports A2DP and AVRCP, however, it is difficult because the Soundwear is not specifically designed to connect to Bluetooth transmitters and as they are 3rd-party, the behavior of them is unpredictable. 

@jmiley: Is your issue exactly the same as in you are trying to connect to your TV too?

Is the transmitter that you have tried also A2DP?

I would recommend that you both reset the Soundwear speaker by following these steps: 

1. Turn the speaker on
  2. Press and hold the Multi-function button and Volume - button for 10 seconds
  3. Once complete, the Bluetooth indicator flashes blue and a voice prompt prompts to select a language

Ensuring the latest firmware is installed is also recommended. You can do this by visiting btu.bose.com on your computer/laptop and following the on-screen instructions.

Let me know if there is any improvement at all.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Silent Starter

Hello Charlotte

I purchased two different wifi transmitters, both with the correct specs, still no volume adjustment and not loud enough sound for my hearing impaired friend (barely enough volume for me).

I tweaked all the in-tv settings, updated Bose software, reset and reboosted a dozen times.

I even took the Soundwear to the Samsung shop and tested it on a range of the latest smart TV’s – no luck: low volume and no volume adjustment.

Very sad you never bothered solving this problem as it would be a brilliant solution for hearing impaired people to enjoy TV.

Extremely disappointed. I was forced to return them to Bose who took a very hefty restocking fee, which left me with an even worse taste in my mouth about Bose.

After 30 years as a loyal Bose brand fan and user, I’m now evaluating other brand offerings.

The fact that it’s taken you as a Bose rep MORE THAN SIX WEEKS to respond confirms my poor impression of the 2019 Bose brand.

I’m sad to say it but there it is.

BillGee

Quiet Contributor

BillGee, 

You nailed it. What is surprising to me, is that my little in ear Bose A11 ic headphone work perfect with the TV that I have. The volume adjusts no problem. The Soundwear headphones on the other hand, have been nothing but problematic with the volume stuck in one setting. I do not understand it. This must be a software issue.

Why are my older, cheaper Bose headphones work just fine and the new more expensive Soundwear headphones are not. 

BOSE, what are you doing to rectify this?

Quiet Contributor

Bose,

You are missing a huge market here with people who are hard of hearing not being able to use these headphones with their TVs. 

I purchased the device that is supposed to support AVCRP protocol, as recommended by Bose, and it seems to work with my little A11 ic headphones but not with Soundwear. This has got to be a software issue.

You need to have your engineering team look into this asap. This has gone on for too long.

Hello Jmiley, 

Thanks for reaching out today. 

To be able to use the SoundWear Companion with your TV, not only will you need the transmitter to be able to support a variable audio output and not a fixed one but also TV will need to support a variable audio output to the transmitter. If this is not the case the SoundWear will not be able to change the volume when listening to TV audio. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Quiet Contributor

I just received my warranty unit and it does not get loud like the previous unit, the audio is almost inaudible. I have connected to my note 9, iphone 7 and Samsung tv with no luck 

Charles 

Hello Charles, 

Thank you for contributing to the thread. 

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing quiet audio on your replacement SoundWear Companion. Can you please check to ensure that the media volume on your smartphones are fully increased, and make sure the volume controls on the actual Soundwear is also increased. 

If the issue persists, please attempt to update the firmware by visiting this link on a computer.

Finally, if this does not help to resolve the issue, please reach out to support again. Details can be found here.

Kindest,

Jeff G

Audible Advocate

Our Bose Soundwear connected to our Xfinity TV Box and we get sound, but the volume controls on the Soundwear are not working.   I bought these to let my hearing impaired husband listen to the TV without blowing out my eardrums.  However the volume is too low for him and he can't mute the commercials.

I went to the Xfinity website and it says that headphone volume controls will only work if the headphones have internal volume controls.

Are you telling me that this very expensive Bose Soundwear does not have internal audio controls?!