dysteve
Silent Starter
Registered since

Feb 13, 2020

new sony receiver .... older acoustimas 5 lll system

i have a new sony receiver and an older acoustimas 5 lll setup with 2 surround sound speakers that are mounted behind me, a center channel speaker, two front cube on cube speakers and a subwoofer with 2 input and 2 output ports in the back of the unit.   been trying to get this to configure, dude at Best Buy said ok ... no power to the subwoofer .... that is the problem.  I am not convinced that he is correct .... can you advise if I am spinning my wheels or if this will work.  Not a sound hound by any means just want to get a better set up with new reciever my kids got me for christmas ... THANK YOU !!! 
Steve W. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: new sony receiver .... older acoustimas 5 lll system

All the Bose cube speakers must be connected to a Bose Acoustimass module.  If you're trying to do a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system, you would need 5 Bose cubes or 5 Bose double cubes.  You would probably need two Bose Acoutimass modules, one with three in's and out's and one with two in's and out's.  You would run speaker wires from each cube to a Bose Acoustimass in.  You would then run 5 pairs of speaker wires from the Bose Acoustimass modules to your speaker out's on your receiver.  If you don't have everything you need, you can probably find it on eBay.

If any of your speakers are full range speakers, you could connect them directly to speaker out's on your receiver.  They would not need to pass through a Bose Acoustimass module because a full range speaker can carry the bass frequencies on it's own.