Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

102-sb surface mount speaker replacement

I have a 25 year-old(!) set of 102-sb surface mount outdoor speakers that no longer work. Connections are snug but there is no sound whatsoever, even though there is power. Does anyone know if the 101 indoor/outdoor speakers, which are available used, would be a compatible substitute? Or some other suggestion? Not looking to put a lot of money into this as I don't use much anymore but I don't like having speakers that are completely dead either. Many thanks. 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: 102-sb surface mount speaker replacement

Hi Duclad,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

The first thing I would recommend doing with this is double-checking any cable between your current speakers and the receiver, just in case the cables are what's stopping the speakers from playing rather than the speakers themselves. 

If you do want to replace them, are the 101 speakers you are referring to one of the Model 101 Music Monitor system or the Model 101 Music Monitor Series II speaker system? If so, neither of these speaker systems is designed for outdoor use, so would not be the best option if you are looking to use them outdoors.

If you are using the speakers indoors, then both the Series I and Series II of the Model 101 need a receiver or amplifier that is rated for 10-60 W per channel, 4-8 ohms to work. The speakers you have currently are rated for 25 W, 1.2 ohms, so they wouldn't be a direct replacement power-wise, but may work depending on the receiver or amplifier you are using.

For outdoor speakers, you would be better to look at something like the 151® SE environmental speakers rather than the Model 101s.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any further questions!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 17, 2020

Re: 102-sb surface mount speaker replacement

Thanks you Keith for the welcome and for the info. I'm not sure how best to check cables. The Bose amp is upstairs in the closet and all cables are routed throughout the house, as the system was installed when the house was built. The red and black wires that are coming out of the house that connect to the speakers seem to be getting power according to my pen voltmeter beeping. Does that establish that the speakers SHOULD be working?

Thanks too for the recommendation re the 151s and not the 101s for my application. As it happens, when looking more closely at the amp, I noticed it indicated it should be connected to 102 or 151 speakers, so I have a pair of 151s coming. I just hope it IS the speakers that is the problem now!

-Jim