Highlighted
Bytor rulz
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 29, 2019

601 from 1979 down!

I have been using my 601s for 40 years, never an issue until this last week.  The left speaker does not work at all.  After process of elimination, it is evident that the left speaker only is not functioning at all.  Any clues to what I can do to get this old dog working again?  For the last 12 years, I have been using the 601s as the "B" or rear main speakers for my Yamaha RX-V596 receiver.  I do have my 901s for the "A" or front main speakers and Acousti-mass 5 series III surround speakers to round out my Bose experience.  Exactly what might I do to get this puppy brought back to life.  Help!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 601 from 1979 down!

Hello Bytor rulz,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry that the left speaker of your 601's is no longer working. As you have had them since 1979, I would imagine that these are the 1st edition of the 601sm, is that correct? This would mean that the speakers are no longer serviceable by Bose. 

With this in mind, let's try some things to confirm if the speaker is faulty. 

At the back of the receiver, switch the connection of the speaker wire that may not be working properly with one that is working properly. If the problem stays with the same speaker, the speaker wire is defective. Replace the speaker wire. If the problem does not stay with the same speaker, then the speaker could be faulty.

Additionally, please ensure that the balance level on your receiver has not accidentally been adjusted. 

If the speaker is deemed faulty, I would have to recommend sources a local audio repair center to see if there is anything they can do to help with repairing the speaker.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Hanlon
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 18, 2020

Re: 601 from 1979 down!

How did you go? 

I had a problem with my 701's and I was an issue with the crossover.