Adding Di-Pole Tweeters to 901's

Highlighted
Audible Advocate

Adding Di-Pole Tweeters to 901's

Several years ago, I added a pair of Radio Shack Optimus Linaeum Di-Pole tweeters to my 901 VI's. I've heard that the 901 high frequency starts to roll off at about 16khz, so why not get something extra towards the 20khz these tweeters are supposed to put out?

I connected them directly to the 901 speaker terminals, per the tweeter connection instructions. The linaeum tweeter users on the web have stated that these gizmos give their systems some 'air' and 'treble detail'. I'm too lazy to drag out my sound level meter to do A-B comparisons.

I'm keeping my equalizer low & high frequency sliders at the middle or flat settings. I turned up my amplifier (Yamaha AX-592) pots up just a hair above flat to get a modest boost to bass & treble. I like what I'm hearing.

Anyone have any success or failure adding genuine tweeters to thir 901's

3 REPLIES 3
Friendly Fanatic

Re: Adding Di-Pole Tweeters to 901's

No pun intended but it 'sounds' like an interesting mod. In the early 80s my brother-in-law bought a pair of 901s and a Bose amplifier. I thought they sounded great but like yourself lacked a bit in the highs. My 401s were the same but never thought about adding HF tweeters.

I'm not familiar with those tweeters but did they have their own enclosures or were they just the speaker and you cut a hole in the cabinets to mount behind the grills giving them a factory look? Ether way it's the end results that matter.

Audible Advocate

They have their own enclosures and sit atop my 901's. Link below:

https://reverb.com/item/17239375-optimus-linaeum-dipole-ribbon-tweeters-1970-s-black-pair?gclid=CjwK...

Friendly Fanatic

That's an easy upgrade to make. Thanks for sharing.